Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners

What makes the Wilderness Logics budget underquilts "budget?"

Looking into buying my first underquilt. I'm fresh out of college paying on student loans, so I'm obviously working with a slim budget (crappy car, rice and beans and ramen and such). I noticed that Wilderness Logics has a line of quilts called "budget quilts," which grabbed my attention, as they seem affordable and are from a reputable company. I was curious as to what makes them "budget," though. Is there some kind of massive difference in materials or production quality? I read the blurbs for both the budget and non-budget winter quilts on the website but just couldn't quite figure out the difference. Does anybody have one that can speak to that? Really just want to make the most of the investment when I do buy a UQ, so any and all info is welcome.

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    I believe they are using a duck/goose down mix which they sell for $5ish bucks and ounce. That is pretty cheap for down. Looks like it is the same .95 oz fabric. WL also sells a kit where you add the down of your choice and just sew up the end.
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners
    Oh, got it. I guess I'm still a noob as far as the differences in down, because I just assumed it was all the same (except for treated/non-treated). That's actually good to know, thanks for the input.

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    Down is rated by how much one ounce (of weight) of down with loft too. So a 800FP down will loft to 800 cubic inches with one ounce. 950 FP will loft a lot more for the same one ounce of down.

I don't own one but they are definitely a great cottage vendor with great reviews. Hammock gear has some budget quilts as well. I do own one and it is amazing. I got a 20* phoenix that I use in just about any situation above 20*. Super adjustable even with a 12' hammocks, seams and stitches are perfect,
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

• + New Posts