Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various

seeking opinions for Expl Dlx mod

Hey all!

I have an older HH Explorer Deluxe with bottom velcro entry. I don't want to have the velcro removed, as bottom entry helps keep the mozzies outside and not in with me. That said, I think I'd like to be able to remove the bugnet in cooler weather. I'm not sure if I'd like one super long zipper as opposed to two pulls that meet in the middle. Also, I've swapped the rope suspension for continuous loops, so it has already been modified; not sure if that makes any difference or not. I have a super shelter but have never used it in the field. I also have other hammocks, tarps and underquilts, both commercial and DIY, so I'm not married to the Hennessy exclusively.

I am looking for opinions on which is the most useful zip mod, and why, or what advantages/disadvantages you have found. Of the 4 zip mods that 2QZQ offers, which do you prefer and why?

I was once told that if you ask a dozen hangers any question you'll get 13 answers/opinions, so please feel free to illuminate me.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Mod 4 works well for me as it allows me to completely remove the bug screen and store it in the Mod 4 bag. I have found no disadvantage to the Mod 4 as I also kept the Velcro opening but for disability reasons.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Mod 4 works well for me as it allows me to completely remove the bug screen and store it in the Mod 4 bag. I have found no disadvantage to the Mod 4 as I also kept the Velcro opening but for disability reasons.
    Thanks Deb. I also thought the Mod 4 to be the 'deluxe edition' mod; I was just concerned about adding the weight of 2 full length zippers with 3 zip pulls each. According to the website, mod 1, mod 3 and mod 4 each add the same 3.5 oz, so weight shouldn't matter. I can't divine how mod 2 weighs an ounce more the the others.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    Thanks Deb. I also thought the Mod 4 to be the 'deluxe edition' mod; I was just concerned about adding the weight of 2 full length zippers with 3 zip pulls each. According to the website, mod 1, mod 3 and mod 4 each add the same 3.5 oz, so weight shouldn't matter. I can't divine how mod 2 weighs an ounce more the the others.
    Hi RancOr,
    Mod 1 & 3 add approx. 3.5 oz, Mod 2 adds approx. 4.5 oz, and Mod 4 (Classic Bottom Entry) adds approx. 5 oz. The Zip Model to a Mod 4 adds approx. 3.5 oz.
    Donna

EDIT: I need to check on the Mod 4 (classic bottom entry) weight...it should be a bit more weight added. The weight might have been entered incorrectly on the new website. I'm guessing it is probably closer to an added weight of 6+ oz (well worth the extra weight). This is the mod Tim uses for backpacking...with a sensitive back and bad shoulder!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Thank you for weighing (!) in Donna. I see you have updated the weight spec on the website already!

So, if I want a single zipper on one side and a dual/two-pull zipper on the other, is that a Mod 2? Or is the Mod 2 only a partial zip, not a full zip?

This is probably all academic, as I will probably just get the Mod 4 and enjoy the Deluxe Edition.

Thanks again!
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Thank you for weighing (!) in Donna. I see you have updated the weight spec on the website already!

So, if I want a single zipper on one side and a dual/two-pull zipper on the other, is that a Mod 2? Or is the Mod 2 only a partial zip, not a full zip?

This is probably all academic, as I will probably just get the Mod 4 and enjoy the Deluxe Edition.

Thanks again!
    Actually, the weights haven't changed yet...and the only one that might change is the Classic Bottom Entry Mod #4. I think you must have been looking at the weight of the Zip Model Mod #4...this mod only has us adding the zipper to one side.

To answer your question about the Mod #2...there is a zipper installed on one full side with one zipper pull, and on the other side there is a zipper installed to the tie out point with one zipper pull.

The Mod #3 has 2 zipper pulls. The Mod #4 has 3 zipper pulls on both sides.

Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

I was once told that if you ask a dozen hangers any question you'll get 13 answers/opinions, so please feel free to illuminate me.
    That is not at all what I have heard! I heard that if you took a million hangers and laid them end to end, they wouldn't reach a conclusion.

• + New Posts