View Poll Results: What is the best combo?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll

39 62.90%

15 24.19%

8 12.90%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    I use a 3/4 length UQ good to 20*F, so I call it a 30*F quilt. I use a TQ of the same 3-season rating. I have designs on a 0* full length UQ but no immediate plans for a matching TQ.

We had a 4 1/2 degree rule in Boy Scouts; expected low of 5*F we go camping, expected low 4* or less, we stay home. I still find wisdom in that thinking.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post

The leader in the poll currently is 0,20,40. My current plan is to keep my 0 degree set as they work great. I am thinking I will pick up a 20 degree set with closed footbox to help with the cold feet issue. Possibly +1oz to the footbox, undecided yet.

I would appreciate any input on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I like 0*, 20* and 40* quilts. I can't see any reason to buy 50* quilts because I don't camp in high temperatures anyway. Since I use the 10* buffer rule (use quilts rated at least 10* higher than expected low), I can't see much reason in buying 30* quilts either.

40* quilts - About the highest I've ever used them is 70* F, the lowest 42* F.
    20* quilts - I use these about 80% of the time, from 45* F down to 30* F.
    0* quilts - These usually come out only when the temp is 30* F or below. If it gets any colder than about 10* F, I'm stacking quilts!
    20* with closed foot box is a good idea....if feet are cold your cold IMO.

The 10* buffer is the most important and may vary person to person but is a worthy rule to go by

The only quilt I am missing is a 40 UQ.... but because summer temps always cool off to either side of 15c regardless the 20* works superbly...even indoors at 20c the 20* UQ still is awesome. Only advantage to getting a 40* UQ for me is saving some pack space/weight but for the few really warm nights it is not worth it for me vs just using the 20 and having a solid buffer of warmth as I can be camping from sea level to 5000' and temps can vary wildly with forecasts here being a crap shoot.
    So use your judgement that fits your ideals
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    I travel with work and am anywhere from southern Louisiana to Alaska so I never no what weather I am dealing with.
    Right now I have a 5*, 20*, 30* and a 40*. Only my 20* is a dedicated UQ.
    I am probably going to get a 0* dedicated TQ with foot box to complete my set.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    I currently have a 20* UQ (full length, home made) and both a 20* (down, EE Enigma) and 50* (2.5 Apex Synth, home made) and have been really happy with that. I will take the 50* TQ down to 45-50 since the UQ is so warm. I also always carry my Montbell UL Down hoody so if the overnight lows are pushing it for the 50* TQ I'll just wear it to bed and I sleep like a baby. The 2.5 Apex TQ also only weighs 10.6 oz with a zippered footbox so it's a joy to use during the humid months as I don't have to worry about loft degradation and it still weighs very little.

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Roaming Gnome custom
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG & Marmot
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    I realize this threat is old - but - I went with 4 quilts, a 0 and 20 UQ and a 20 and 40 TQ - I have always felt that the bottom being warmer than the top worked well, you can always sag a warm UQ quilt to reduce the insulation value on the bottom and stick a leg out if your too hot up top. All four are from HG and were ordered extra wide and long. These are transported in saddle bags on a motorcycle, if I was carrying them on my back I might have a different opinion. OP Great topic!

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
    I realize this threat is old - but - I went with 4 quilts, a 0 and 20 UQ and a 20 and 40 TQ - I have always felt that the bottom being warmer than the top worked well, you can always sag a warm UQ quilt to reduce the insulation value on the bottom and stick a leg out if your too hot up top. All four are from HG and were ordered extra wide and long. These are transported in saddle bags on a motorcycle, if I was carrying them on my back I might have a different opinion. OP Great topic!
    Its funny that you bumped this up as I just picked up my 3rd set of quilts from HG yesterday. I now have a complete 0, 20 and 40 degree set. I may (in the future) sell my 40 degree top quilt, keep the 40 underquilt, and pick up a 50 to give me a few more options.

I guess I think differently than most...many suggest either a warmer Under Quilt than the top quilt, or they try to match temp ratings on both...

but I use a pad, even when I am using an under quilt so for me I can use warmer bottoms (plus the pad) with colder tops and be just right.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I'm a warm sleeper and am usually comfortable past the rating on gear. I'm also typically camping in Texas or one of the bordering states so it's not too cold. 0, 30, 50 sounds right to me, but for me that's functionally a -10, 20, and 40.

My primary quilt is 30* rated and I just open it up like a blanket if it is a warm night or close up the footbox and tuck it in tight if it's going to be cold. I've only been in a couple of situations where it was going to be well below 30 so I used a 15* bag instead and was fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123