Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Real world application with a 30 degree TQ and 20 degree UQ

Looking at a new set of quilts from EE. I want them to be able to take me down to around 32F. I ordered a 20 UQ but a 30 TQ. Will this be warm enough? Kind of operating under the assumption that you want to be in temps 10 degrees warmer than the rating but also that the TQ can be pushed a little harder.

My concern/thought is if I need to updated my order to a 20 TQ...thoughts/opinions?

Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    It should, your UQ is the more important of the 2. You can always wear some long underwear or use a sleeping bag liner with the TQ and you should be golden.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I like a 5F + buffer - so for 32F I would bring insulation for 25F.

If you mostly cool/cold weather camp the 20F TQ would be nice to have.
    If you camp a lot in the warmer weather the 30F TQ might be the right choice and then you can use additional insulation for those few cold night trips.

Option: You can easily stack/boost insulation (add a blanket or hot water bottle) and it's easy to calculate how much.
    Say 70F is your comfort zone Minus the 5F buffer = 65F. So for a 50F TQ figure 65F minus a 50F TQ provides an additional 15F insulation. So stacking a 50F TQ and 30F TQ should get you to about 15 or 20F on top easy. A fleece blanket would be about 10F boost.

A Hot water bottle, polar fleece pull over, and warm hat are my favorite cold weather boost.

And don't forget to block the wind.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-08-2017 at 09:09.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Not sure how EE works, whether they use general comfort rating or the "you probably won't die, but it's going to suck" rating of all the commercial manufacturers, but it could get a little chilly, either way if you plan on being out at/around/below freezing you will be much better served by going for the 20*. This is another example of ultralight vs. stupid light. Trying to save a couple ounces to push gear to or beyond its limit is uncomfortable at best and downright dangerous at worst. I am a pretty warm sleeper in most cases but I wouldn't try to go out with predicted lows at or around my gears rating without serious supplementation. Any time I go out, the predicted overnight low is usually for town and it's always 5-10 degrees higher than what I actually record in the backcountry. Wearing extra layers helps but you can carry a lot less weight by upping the insulation of your quilt. My $.02
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My rule of thumb is (if you want to be comfortable) to go for a quilt that is rated 10 degrees lower than you will hang. This way environmental factors that change how cold you feel should be kept at bay. So if you are hanging in 32° temps then get a 20° quilt set. I personally find that my top quilt is the one that leaves me cold way before my bottom quilt does but I use a bridge hammock where the bottom quilt fits tight and doesn't move.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    My rule of thumb is (if you want to be comfortable) to go for a quilt that is rated 10 degrees lower than you will hang. This way environmental factors that change how cold you feel should be kept at bay. So if you are hanging in 32° temps then get a 20° quilt set. I personally find that my top quilt is the one that leaves me cold way before my bottom quilt does but I use a bridge hammock where the bottom quilt fits tight and doesn't move.
    I agree. My 40° quilt doesn't get much love, so sometimes I try to take it when I'm on the fence when lows are 38-42° or so. But I'm always glad when I usually end up taking the 20° since wind, dampness, rain, low on calories, and many factors can easily make it a bad night. I save my 40° quilt for solid upper 40°+ nights.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_joe View Post
    Looking at a new set of quilts from EE. I want them to be able to take me down to around 32F. I ordered a 20 UQ but a 30 TQ. Will this be warm enough? Kind of operating under the assumption that you want to be in temps 10 degrees warmer than the rating but also that the TQ can be pushed a little harder.
    I'm not sure where that assumption comes from. I use equally rated TQ & UQ with a 10* buffer. So if the expected low is 30*, I'll take the 20* UQ & TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Kind of moot, posts like these. One could have the exact same top and bottom quilts and camp exactly where you do and be cold/hot/perfect. It's a very individual thing. See what it's like for you and if you want a warmer top, sell the 30 and buy a 20 (or 10). Best part about quality TQ and UQ is that the market is such that you don't lose much in the resale and there are plenty of buyers.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Given that my EE quilts are warmer than most similarly-rated insulation I've used, you should be warm enough if you are an "average" sleeper.

I, too, use a 30 on top and a 20 underneath most of the time.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Don't forget to consider if you are a cold or warm sleeper. Personally I'm a cold (and I mean *cold*) sleeper so I would go for a 0 degree to keep me warm at 32F. That's just the way I am.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast