Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingletrut View Post
    Ok, you're confusing me

I have a rain poncho that's more or less the appropriate length. I think I'll experiment with that a little before I decide to make a proper UQP.
    Perhaps that will inform you better; however, I think one must realize that the appropriateness of any piece of hammock gear tends to be largely context-dependent. There are very few "one size fits all" equipment options. Conditions matter a great deal, and your personal style of hanging may matter just as much.

As an example, my preferred time for backcountry camping is during our summer months in the Pacific Northwest, the one time of year where we are likely to see long stretches without precipitation -- currently 51 days here without measurable rainfall. However, during this annual dry season, we can still see a sudden unexpected shower or cloudy/windy weather that can drive overnight lows into the high 40s even close to sea level. During this time of year, an asym tarp paired with an underquilt is a perfectly adaptable "just in case" solution to the possible weather challenges. On my last overnighter a few weeks ago, I brought both an asym tarp and a UQP, but I needed neither. I was still glad to have both pieces of kit with me in the event that fortunes had turned against me, and I was comfortable in the knowledge that I was packing well under a pound of cheap, prudent insurance. I have used the same asym tarp/UQP to get me through a windy winter snowstorm with lows below freezing; I know how to use them, and I know they will work just fine, but they are not the ideal four-season set-up. HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    tttm
    Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made
    Images
    why fiddle around with extra gear?

just take the bigger tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been tossing this around in my head myself. I did an AT section hike in June and used a Dutch summer sock and was glad I had it during a night with really heavy blowing rain. I use 11' HG CF tarp with doors and I got a lot of rain blowing under the tarp. I'm taking a bit of a weight hit with the combo though and fiddling with sock during set up/tear down/ getting in and out of the hammock is a bit of a pain. I'm thinking of trying out a 10' tarp with longer sides and ditching the sock on my next trip. I'll need to be able to get it pretty close to ground level and still be able to hang comfortably in order for it to be a satisfactory bad weather solution though.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    And to still confuse you a little more...

...You can have the UQP do double duty. This piece of gear can be used as a gear hammock/loft.

I like to use my hammock chair as a gear hammock to keep my gear off the ground and away from creepy crawlies. It also keeps my gear next to me within easy access and away from rain.

IMG_0372 copy.jpg IMG_0371 copy.jpg
    I use a large tarp and keep the doors open most of the time until a storm approaches.
    Then I can close them if needed and my gear hammock doesn't have to be used as an UQP, but I still have it with me in case it's needed. One piece for multiple uses.
    IMG_0322 copy.jpg
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingletrut View Post
    Ok, you're confusing me

I have a rain poncho that's more or less the appropriate length. I think I'll experiment with that a little before I decide to make a proper UQP.
    I have the sea to summit poncho tarp...and I was thinking the same thing....

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Don't be confused. The options you put forth work well. As stated, nothing is going to do all for every situation but I use an asym exclusively and recently purchased an UQP after getting some splash back and misting on a recent trip with a good amount of rain. I'd been thinking about it for awhile now and finally broke down. I won't take it on every trip.

So... I went on a trip a few days ago that answered the question for me. I'm making an UQP, and I'm making a few alterations to my big tarp as well. There was wind. From all directions. At once
    The rain poncho did help a little, but not nearly as much as a proper fitting UQP would have.

Thanks again for your input, you've been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    To be clear, my underquilt protector is one of my most useful pieces of gear -- not to mention affordable to purchase, easy to make, and easy to pack -- and mine goes along with me on virtually every backcountry trip.
    Me too. It is such a versatile and effective piece of gear at minimal weight penalty. Heck, I always take a larger than necessary tarp and always have an underquilt protector. I count ounces to a point. I think we all do. Heck, I am, more appropriately stated, I was, a military survival instructor and am therefore confident I could survive with less than most in a wilderness situation. However, I am always willing to suffer a weight penalty for comfort in multiple different areas when it comes to planned outings. Just read back through this thread and get an idea of the multiple uses and/or functions of the underquilt protector. Then, is it worth it to you? I know it's worth it to me to take it/one along every time.
    Last edited by BigSky!; 08-18-2017 at 08:52. Reason: An interrogative statement requires a question mark and not a period.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

I guess with all my blather above I fell into the all too common trap of bloviating my opinion while failing to directly address the inquiry set forth by the OP. Given the OP's two options, I would go with the bigger tarp, every time.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
    I guess with all my blather above I fell into the all too common trap of bloviating my opinion while failing to directly address the inquiry set forth by the OP. Given the OP's two options, I would go with the bigger tarp, every time.
    The OP thanks you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast