Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So... I made an UQP from 3yds of calendered 1.1Ripstop from RSBTR. It ended up at 169g total, and at that weight and tiny pack volume I think I'll just bring it on every trip.
    I chose not to make knotty mods and rather sew in some elastic so the sides are not adjustable but permanently snug. Shock cord, mitten hooks and cord locks on the ends.

As it is now, it's a pretty tight fit on my hammock, is there a risk of it compressing the underquilt? I'm guessing the shape of it and the elasticity of the shock cord will prevent that, but I'm thinking of bringing extra shock cord just in case... What do you think?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It could compress down quilts if it's tight and the elastic on the UQP won't help too much. Down can compress quite easily. Only you can make the call by setting it up and testing it.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Brought it with me on a four day trip to test and, surprisingly, it took a bit of fiddling to get it to work properly. I got it right by the third night, which was perfect timing as it was the first night with temperatures below freezing. Sewing elastic into the sides instead of adjustable knotty mods... I should have done the knotty mods.
    DSC_0428.jpg

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Here is my thoughts, which are still confusing myself. I'm looking for a new tarp as well. I'm leaning to ordering the XEON Wide asym (from Dutch) because i ordered a Raven with overcover. I already have a UQP. My thought is using XEON wide in the storm configuration (second loop and low/tight) and the overcover and UQP i could ride out atleast 1 bad storm.

But I'm also considering the winter dream just to say the hell with it since i have the money for either. But i can't decide......
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For me, the UQP and Tarp have entirely different functions. The Tarp keeps me dry when it rains (also potentially keeps bird poop off the hammock)d. It can also provide a sun/wind block during the day. Because I want to be dry when I'm out of the hammock, I like a large tarp so I can mess around near the hammock.

The UQP add a degree of warmth. It means I don't have to be so fussy as to the fit of my UQ. And as some have pointed out, in the summer, the UQP might be enough by itself to prevent the convection heat loss - at least during an afternoon nap. It keeps things cleaner if something is dropped during setup/take down. And it can provide a large "pocket" if, for example, I'm reading a paperback book and want to put it somewhere, not in the hammock, when I'm about to fall asleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123