Thread: Tarp for Two

Tarp for Two

My wife and I both use gathered end UL setups for our hammocks. We are going to be trying out a setup using a 36" spreader bar that inserts into the continuous loops at the head end so that we can share the same 2 trees (and tarp). I can give more detail about this setup once my spreader bar arrives from dutch and I rig it up if anyone is interested BUT with a 36" spreader bar between us and going 2 wide what size tarp would be ideal to safely/effectively contain us both?

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Here's my setup: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=tandem

Here are some more ideas I got by searching the word "tandem" here. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=tandem

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Car camping or backpacking?

For backpacking we use a superfly size (12x10) DIY winter tarp with external pole mods Our spreader bar is 30.5", but we're small. Best to use dog bones or what ever to keep the bar just outside the doors. If you MUST have the bar inside, I suggest you make up bar end tarp protectors from 1/2" foam pipe insulation. Your tarp will thank you.

For really cold weather, and definitely not backpacking, we have an SLD 12 x 14 winter haven I modded with 3 internal poles. I can stake it right to the ground to cut virtually all wind.

In this vid the bar is farther away from the tarp than need be. Also keep in mind that the farther away the bar is from the hammocks, the closer the hammocks will converge.
    https://youtu.be/BKSINO4qRYg

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post

For backpacking we use a superfly size (12x10) DIY winter tarp with external pole mods Our spreader bar is 30.5", but we're small. Best to use dog bones or what ever to keep the bar just outside the doors. If you MUST have the bar inside, I suggest you make up bar end tarp protectors from 1/2" foam pipe insulation. Your tarp will thank you.

For really cold weather, and definitely not backpacking, we have an SLD 12 x 14 winter haven I modded with 3 internal poles. I can stake it right to the ground to cut virtually all wind.

In this vid the bar is farther away from the tarp than need be. Also keep in mind that the farther away the bar is from the hammocks, the closer the hammocks will converge.
    https://youtu.be/BKSINO4qRYg
    This would be for backpacking. I actually think I might have a superfly at the house. You think that extra 5.5" of spreader bar will haunt me on this tarp?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I've never tried a 36 under the tarp, but I'd imagine you'll have to raise the tarp higher. Of course the longer the bar is the more swing.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    My DIY spreader bar is 32" and that's plenty far enough apart. 28" would probably be enough, really.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    We've used 30" with success. I found that the clip on tieouts are perfect to keep your spreader bar from damaging your tarp since you can position them right where you need them. My 10'x12' rectangular tarp has good amount of coverage and I can partially close doors on the foot end.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post

For really cold weather, and definitely not backpacking, we have an SLD 12 x 14 winter haven I modded with 3 internal poles.
    magnificent

• + New Posts