Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    Double check, I know there was a section of the Timberline that was washed out. 3 Sisters is an amazing area to explore. While it isn't a loop trail, Jefferson Park is a gorgeous area to explore.

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all of the help!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Atlas
    Eagle Creek is definitely the most bang for the buck as far as waterfalls go...However, it is currently closed due to a wildfire. I'm sure it will be open by your trip date though. I just don't know how close the fire is to the actual trail. There should be updates on this on the Forest Service or Columbia River National Scenic Area websites. The crowds there can be bad but during the fall they taper off, especially if you are going during the week. Another consideration for Eagle Creek is your tolerance for heights. A lot of the lower part of the trail is cut into a cliff with a long drop off into the creek. The trail is plenty wide for a single hiker but can get a little sketchy if there is a large crowd. I personally think its fine but I do know others who don't like to hike it. Its definitely not for dogs...several have been lost up there. There are some waterfalls on the Timberline Trail but they are not the main attraction. Alpine meadows, glaciers, and big views are the draw for that hike. There are several washouts and river crossings along the route but it is still fairly easy to follow and the water levels should be low at that time of year.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY BlueCat
    Insulation
    PLUQ and Bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by bghiker View Post
    A good resource is www.oregonhikers.org...If you are flying into Portland, I wouldn't narrow my search to just Oregon. There are a lot of really nice hikes in SW Washington that are close to Portland. Goat Rocks is one of my favorites. The Loowit trail around Mt St Helens is amazing but there are very limited hanging options. That is about the only place where I go to ground anymore. The route is also very difficult to find in places due to washouts, lack of signage, and long stretches of boulder fields with no discernible trail.
    Goat Rocks have been on my list for a long time. The Loowit Trail is great - about 11 miles/day and you can finish in three. It was an excellent trip with a tent but it doesn't offer many hanging options. When I hiked it in '16 the trail was fairly easy to follow as some posts had been placed to follow through the boulder fields. FWIW I found that it was rugged and some of the washout areas were pretty challenging to get across.

You'll never do another trip quite like the Loowit. I went July 4th weekend and, while it seemed somewhat busy during the day, at night it seemed like we had the whole place to ourselves.
    "Dare to think!" - Immanuel Kant, What is Enlightenment?

#anal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WB Black Bird XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    EE Quilt/WB Under
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Stay away from Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson Wildernesses. Too many Portlanders. My advice would be the Eagle Cap Wilderness, and come in from the south side. Most beautiful country in the world!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Goggle the Eagle Cap Wilderness and you will come up with some great loop hikes with good access. Although the ECW can be popular it doesn't have near the hordes associated with the western parts of OR. September is quite nice and I have done some October hikes in the ECW too (brown veg photos). However, you are starting to lose daylight in October and I'm not overly fond of the extended darkness, just to much time in the bag.

EagleCapWild_09202012_42.jpgEagleCapWild_09202012_34.jpgEagleCapWild_09202012_24.jpgEagleCapWild_100820123.jpg

Oops, the close up of Starr was the wrong pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Okay, so I am flying into Portland the 12th of September, leaving the 16th. I was going to do eagle creek, but it is closed due to fires. Then I was going to do a couple hikes around Mt. Jefferson, but it too is closed :/ I would like to stay withing 2 or so hours from Portland. What would be my best option now, that wasn't burnt down!?

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac McSchool View Post
    Stay away from Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson Wildernesses. Too many Portlanders. My advice would be the Eagle Cap Wilderness, and come in from the south side. Most beautiful country in the world!
    I am trying to stay closer to portland. Maybe I'll go up to 4 hrs away. What would be good in that radius?

Images
    The Herman Creek trail is right next door to Eagle Creek and it does have several nice waterfalls while also being less traveled. There is a network of trails it connects to and you could make your own Three day route as you please.

I would also recommend checking out the Bull of the Woods Wilderness. There are many connecting trails there as well and you can easily make some nice loop trips with visits to lakes. Be sure to climb a peak or visit the lookout for panoramic views. Pansy, Twin, and Big Slide lakes all make good stops in the area. This area does not receive the crowds that Gorge hikes do.

Closer to home, the Salmon River is a classic Oregon forest hike. It is more popular, so head out on a weekday if you want campsite options. 12 mile round trip to the halfway point; double or more if you want to climb the ridge.

Finally, the trails immediately south and east of Mt St Helens have lots of options, more than I can outline here. Google search will quickly turn up many. There is a scenic network of trails directly on the mountain in the southwest corner between June Lake and the Toutle River. This is forested and hammock friendly. Goat Mountain not too far away has amazing high ridge line scenery and one of the best swimming lakes ever, sandy beach included. You can make a Three day loop of it by connecting through Green River.

Use Hillmap or CalTopo websites to see trails and make plans.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast