Modifying bug net design to be used for ground?

Hey all,
    I have a single layer DIY hammock right now, and am thinking about making a bug net for it. I want this bug net to be decent at both hammock coverage, as well as a make-shift bug bivy. Just to be clear, I like to go to ground, and I like to hang. I'm one of the few that doesn't seem to mind bringing a pad, or a little extra weight with a ground sheet to have a little more versatility (depending on what I'm feeling that night).

With a little research into this topic, it seems that a lot of people use an integrated hammock to try to do a makeshift bivy. This isn't what I am looking to do. I was hoping to take a pre-existing design for a bug net for hammocks and turn it into something feasible for both ground and air. It seems that there are primarily four different designs: the draping style (with rocks to weigh it down), a fully enclosed zipper bug net, a bug sock, and the fronkey style. It seems like this should work, but it might be challenging dealing with the excess bug net on the ground (since hammock bug nets are huge).
    It seems to me that the draping style might be the easiest to modify in the sense that I could perhaps put two attachment points the length of my sleeping pad on the bug net itself, and use these to attach to trekking poles? The rest would drape down, but I could maybe tuck them under my pad?

Anyway, I would love to hear all of your thoughts on the matter before I start this project.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I've put some thought into something similar . My idea was just make a separate netting I could use with my DIY asym tarp.
    I'll explain in a post later better how my intentions are to go about this.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Modifying bug net design to be used for ground?

I can't remember who, but there is a company that is making bug bets that fully encompass your hammock and then extend to the ground with a ground cover on them. I think they were designed for those with dogs? If you can find it it may give you some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    What sort of tarp will you be using with this?

My thoughts were use my asym tarp in a hikers bivy (as shown by kitsapcowboy in his K.I.S.S tarp thread) then have an eyelet for a stick or hikingpole to be inserted then stretch the sides to the stakes. Then some shock cord in the center of the eyelet and the ground to stretch to the stake in the back to help "seal off" and help prevent bug entry. Hope that makes sense.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Images
    I used to make these Fronkey style nets with adjustable ridgelines, and probably should start again. It worked ok on the ground in testing with the net simply being tucked in under your pad. Being able to tension the ridgeline made the ground setup work quite well. Getting in and out was easy as you just lift up the side of the net. Its an easy DIY.

http://www.tiergear.com.au/25/diy-hammock-net

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMc View Post
    I used to make these Fronkey style nets with adjustable ridgelines, and probably should start again. It worked ok on the ground in testing with the net simply being tucked in under your pad. Being able to tension the ridgeline made the ground setup work quite well. Getting in and out was easy as you just lift up the side of the net. Its an easy DIY.

http://www.tiergear.com.au/25/diy-hammock-net
    By placing "tie-outs" on your bug net to keep it off of your face, you can go to.ground and have a buf free hammock.

Set up my DD at my old man's place and used the excess cordage from.the whoopie slings to pull the bugnet tight...

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

@Trail Troll:
    I will be using my warbonnet superfly. I just took a look at the K.I.S.S. tarp thread and was more than blown away! What a great tarp. Too bad I can only use universal thread (100), and am not convinced that would be strong enough to withstand the forces put on a tarp, or I'd take a stab at that kind of DIY. So, I'm trying to understand your idea. On first glance, it seems that you are trying to use the tarp itself as a bug net so that there is a seal, and nothing can get into it? Or, are you putting grommets into a bug net, and then putting trekking poles into the grommets to help spread the net, and then guying out the grommets in conjunction with the tarp? If so, that seems like a great idea, but I'm not sure if I got that right.

@ simonmc:
    Thanks for the photo! That is what I was thinking of doing, but it seems that excess bug netting might be more of a problem than I thought. It looks like, in that configuration, that the mosquito netting is coming inwards.

Quote Originally Posted by jms53 View Post
    By placing "tie-outs" on your bug net to keep it off of your face, you can go to.ground and have a buf free hammock.

Set up my DD at my old man's place and used the excess cordage from.the whoopie slings to pull the bugnet tight...

This seems like a great way to fix the bug netting from drooping inwards! Where did you put your tie outs? I was thinking of putting tie-outs on four of the corners, perhaps a foot or so up from the bottom. Then, I could guy these out, or guy to the tarp guy outs (since I usually am in A-frame), and tuck the excess under? Perhaps a fronkey style might be good for this scenario, because then, after I guy out the tie-outs on the bug net, I would be able to cinch the bottom to hug the pad better? Just spit ballin'.

Thanks all for the great replies! Would love to hear more thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post
    This seems like a great way to fix the bug netting from drooping inwards! Where did you put your tie outs? I was thinking of putting tie-outs on four of the corners, perhaps a foot or so up from the bottom. Then, I could guy these out, or guy to the tarp guy outs (since I usually am in A-frame), and tuck the excess under? Perhaps a fronkey style might be good for this scenario, because then, after I guy out the tie-outs on the bug net, I would be able to cinch the bottom to hug the pad better? Just spit ballin'.
    The bugnet has grossgrain loops approx 1' from each end of the hammock. I used the slack from the whoopie slings to pull on those. Originally the bugnet is intended to be used with a stick or tent pole to give it a more boxed appearance but I do not feel a major difference between stick and no stick.

If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Images
    Yep tie outs will work to pull it out or I just placed a few items next to my pad which created more internal space.

the_frock_ground_setup_008_450x600.jpg

Hey all,
    I just wanted to update everyone on what I ended up doing. I tried a few iterations of a bug net used for both ground and hammock. A few worked "good" enough, but not altogether great. In the future I will try a two panel/ two triangle bug net design with rock pockets for the bottom. If I'm not mistaken, while in the hammock, the triangles of bug net on the end will effectively capsize in on itself so that it would appear there are just two panels connected on the ends. However, if I'd like to use it for ground, then those might become useable for more interior space, and even allow for tabs to pull out the corners. With my recent iterations, the biggest problem was getting the bug net to pull out when on the ground and not be in my face.

Meanwhile, I have decided to just make a ground bug hut for my girlfriend and I. I found it easier, and would like to share.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    IMG_0550.jpg

• + New Posts