Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh oh, looks like my post contained an offensive word. Hm. Where you see **** its the 4 letter nickname for Richard, starts with the letter "D."

Just did my first hang in San Gorgonio Mountains at the end of July. We stayed at the Limber Bench Pine campground. It's a 6 mile in hike, but good places to hang.

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Los Angeles. I live here for 35 years. In the city: Elysian Park you can probably stealth camp, same with Griffith Park, Griffith is much larger but more monitored.
    The San Gabriel National Monument, Angeles Crest Highway above La Canada. Some great places: Switzer's Canyon, off the Angeles Crest (I went up there for a day hang while a tar pot was boiling on my street), there is an infinite number of places to hang in multiple directions. The thing about the San Gabriels is you can camp anywhere. No one has ever messed with my car left along the highway at night. The Arroyo Seco is a canyon next to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (closet camping to Pluto). Santa Anita Canyon, beautiful. The book Hiking the San Gabriels, is about hiking, but everyone of these hikes is basically a long series of places to hang and camp. The Pacific Coast Trail goes through the San Gabriels.
    Lots of big trees so bring your big straps. Mt Islips trail up from the Azusa Saddle is terrific, there's a campground up the trail, plenty of places in the campground and nearby. The trail to Mt Baden Powell is 17 miles round trip, goes to 8800 feet. Mt Baldy, farther east.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Welcome to SoCal!

We have our group hang at Falcon Group Campground in the Cleveland National Forest.

There is another standard site campground next door named "Blue Jay" but I highly recommend just springing for the extra couple bucks and reserving a group site. Especially with an RV.

If you drive up in an RV, come in from the East side in Lake Elsinore. there is a big climb but nowhere near the amount of turns and distance to deal with coming from the West.

Come on out and see us for the group hang! Details are in the outings > West section.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12