Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    As an early Bridge builder, I must say I am a big fan of the RR and all of WB's stuff really. You can't make a wrong choice here.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBB 1.7 DOUBLE XLC
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by freekncreekn View Post
    I took an old Ridgerest foam pad that I had already cut down for my kids to use when they were smaller. It is 3 feet long and 15 inches wide. (It also doubles as my sit pad in camp.) I usually fold it in half so it ends up being around 18" x 15". Both of my feet fit perfectly on top of it and it slides right into the foot box. I have not had too much of a problem with it sliding around while sleeping, but I tend to not move much at all when sleeping. That 18" (sometimes it ends up being a little longer if I don't fold it perfectly in half) has so far protected me against the calf ridge that used to drive me crazy and also helps with warmth as I use a 3/4 WB UQ for the BB (I use an Enlightened Equipment UQ for my RR). I also found that really being able to grab the RL and being able to make it bend with my hand to ensure it wasn't too tight has seemed to help with the bunching of the hammock fabric that seemed to contribute to the calf ridge problem. I spent 6 nights in it last week and couldn't be happier now with the Blackbird. I still love my RR too, though. If the description above isn't enough, let me know and I can post a picture - but it is literally just an old Ridgerest foam pad that has been cut down.
    I slept like a baby when I tuck a pillow or blanket under my knees but I don't want to have to pack extra stuff just for that reason.

Hammock
    WBB 1.7 DOUBLE XLC
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    As an early Bridge builder, I must say I am a big fan of the RR and all of WB's stuff really. You can't make a wrong choice here.
    Is there any benefit of the gathered in vs the bridge hammock other than the weight or having to pack the poles?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona dawg View Post
    Is there any benefit of the gathered in vs the bridge hammock other than the weight or having to pack the poles?
    IMO, it is something you need to try for yourself. I find my gathered end more comfortable than the ridgerunner. A GE is also easier to cover completely with a tarp. That may or may not be a factor, depending on your personal preference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

WBB RR vs Chameleon

I get some shoulder squeeze in bridges. I also can't get in a full fetal position. Tarps are definitely easier with gathered ends. I get calf ridge in gathered ends, but I just live with having to pack a pillow for my knees. There will be at least one RR at the John Rock Hang this weekend. Might be a chance to try before you buy.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona dawg View Post
    Wider variety of tarp choices and better tree selection as bridges generally require greater distance.

As a full time hammock sleeper, I have both DL RR and Townsend SL Luxury (Big Boy) bridges that I use indoors. I also have many GE's, mostly DIY but also two Chameleons. I have yet to use a bridge for backpacking/camping.

As others have pointed out, there is zero chance of getting calf ridge in a bridge. The ONLY issue I have with the RR is that after 4 consecutive nights I get a rolled-forward sensation in my upper back and shoulders. This is more a reflection of my physical condition, not the hammock. The Lux bridge being MUCH larger and with recessed poles, alleviates this issue for me. Because I also have knee issues, I use a cushion under them for both types of hammocks, though not really required for bridges.

At 5'4", even I find that anything less than a full 11' GE to be uncomfortable. With 11 footers, even the slightest hint of calf ridge is ironed out with the knee cushion. I use an inflatable for backpacking and a poly fill at home. I also think that being on the lighter end of the scale reduces chance of calf ridge for me.

How many hammocks will YOU wind up with? As Shug said, we're striving for a perfection we will never find. Welcome to the journey!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I've owned and tried the Chameleon (was an early Kickstarter backer) and two BB XLC's (1.1 double and 1.7 single) as well as the Ridgerunner and for me the Ridgerunner is hands down the most comfortable. The gathered end hammocks weren't awful, but I could never get as comfortable as I would have liked. In both the Chameleon and XLC's there seemed to be a very slight calf ridge no matter how much I adjusted hang height, angle, etc. My two other dislikes of the gathered end design was heel pressure discomfort (after one night in one of the gathered ends I has heel pain for two days!) and feeling the underquilt suspension shockcord with my toes. (I'm 6'2" so not exactly a giant, but not short either). The XLC with a Wooki underquilt was about the closest I came to liking the gathered end design.

With the Ridgerunner there's no calf ridge, no heel pressure, and just plain comfort. I have both a Lynx and Arrowhead Equipment Ridge Creek underquilts. Both are super simple to hook up--clip, clip, clip, clip and done. No adjustments or fiddling and NO shockcord to bother my delicate little toesies!

I know some people don't like to backpack a bridge hammock, citing the "downsides" to bridges, but for me knowing I'm going to get a great night's sleep far far outweighs any "downsides."

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Std. Straps
    I am a 6’1” 230lbs WB RidgeRunner hammock owner and I love it. It is a well thought out complete system and more comfortable for bigger people I think.

If the definition of “calf ridge” is leg irritation caused by the legs coming in to contact with an unforeseen seam or crease that forms in the hammock upon laying in the hammock, then the WB RidgeRunner hammock can NOT cause “calf ridge” as there is no unforeseen seam or crease that forms in the hammock upon laying in the hammock. This is prevented by the WB RR spreader bars that keep the RR hammock extremely taught from left to right – therefore, no unforeseen seams or creases. This is one small advantage of a “bridge” hammock vs. “gathered end” hammock. Heavier pack weight is normally the biggest DISadvantage of a “bridge” hammock vs. “gathered end” hammock.

I would say you are really comparing two vastly different hammock systems (“bridge” hammock vs. “gathered end” hammock) and you should step back and consider bigger important things as well as the “calf ridge” issue. Here are the critical questions I would recommend asking to help make a better buying decision:
    - Which hammock system do I prefer to sleep in: “bridge” vs. “gathered end”? I would borrow a RidgeRunner and try it out if you can if you have never tried it.
    - How "carry-weight" conscious am I? Am I willing to deal with the potential heavier weight of a “bridge hammock” (comes with spreader poles and potentially more heavier material) if that is what I am leaning towards?
    - What are the reviews and star ratings of the hammock I am leaning towards?

Hope this helps!! 😊

Nate

I think the vast majority would agree that the RR is the most comfortable hammock on the market, but there is a downside; weight and pack ability. The hammock combined with the poles, not to mention a larger tarp to cover the pole ends, ends up costing me around 12-15 ounces over a gathered end system. I tried substituting the Mountainsmith Trekker fx poles and, while they work great as WB pole replacements, THEY ARE THE WORST POLES EVER for trekking. While weight may not be a concern for some hikers, for me, it means my RR stays home on most trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WBB 1.7 DOUBLE XLC
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I guess I just need to find a RR to try for myself. A few times my XLC were great sleep, I just don't know how I fiddled around and found that sweet spot. I just need more hang time, but the no fiddle factor in the RR would be nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast