Costco Down Sleeves

Hey all,
    I have created a pair of Costco down sleeves. The pattern I used was based off of Angry Sparrow's down sleeves (awesome write-up). The link can be found here: (http://angrysparrow.com/hammock_info/down_sleeves.pdf). I did switch one thing, however. I added a hem on the cuffs, and threw a cinch cord in there. This turned out to open more possibilities than I had originally thought, and I felt the need to share. Other than allowing for sleeves, and allowing the sleeves to be bunched up if too hot, it also allowed for a magnificent pillow, down booties, and leg warmers (Basically chaps). Although I have not tried, I'm sure one could achieve similar results by just putting an elastic band for the cuffs. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them. Cheers!
    IMG_0050.jpgIMG_0049.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0043.jpgIMG_0015.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    How do the booties work? Did you put your foot halfway down, then bring the bottom up to your ankle and tie it off?

The sleeves would be a great add-on with the Costco down vest. Thanks for sharing!
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The added warmth will be amazing! Nice.

Oh, and your wife has very hairy legs! But don't tell her I said so

Quote Originally Posted by tstark View Post
    How do the booties work? Did you put your foot halfway down, then bring the bottom up to your ankle and tie it off?

The sleeves would be a great add-on with the Costco down vest. Thanks for sharing!
    You basically hit the nail on the head. The only difference, though, is that you will want to twist the down sleeves a little past the toes, and then bring it back in around itself. Think "beanie buff". I usually do it off of my foot. I put my hand about a foot's length up the cuff side of the sleeves and twist a quarter or half turn. Then, I flip it inside out, and bring it back around itself up to the "v" of the top part (the part that rests int he armpit). Once here, I usually put in my foot and cinch it up.

Pro Tip: The more twists you do, the less give there will be. So, if you do less twists and make the foot portion of the booties a little less than your foot, then it will expand in length to fit your foot. If, though, you do more twists, then the length generally will expand less, and it will be tighter inside.

I hope all of this makes sense, and thanks for asking! It is definitely a nice add-on, and a low cost way to stay warm in the winter. I do want to point one thing out that I feel a lot of people who use these don't mention much. There is a small gap in the armpit area, and if you move your arms up, then it will become more pronounced. It could be a good thing or bad thing depending, but it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    The added warmth will be amazing! Nice.

Oh, and your wife has very hairy legs! But don't tell her I said so

She has a nice beard to (down?) boot too! Jokes aside, if anyone is considering cutting up a Costco Down Quilt to make one of these, make sure to definitely give carefully consideration into how you will keep the down mess mitigated. My actual girlfriend about had a heart attack after she saw how beautiful and snow-like the house was after she came home!
    I was pleasantly surprised with how warm they actually are considering I've heard the Costco down top quilt is only good to around 45 degrees (as an under quilt).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Those are sweet!! Well done sir.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Nice job on the cosco conversion.

FWIW, the history on down sleeves starts with Jack R Better introducing them with the original design in December of 2005...

They have enjoyed good popularity and are still available for those who like the idea and would like to find them ready to use... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/down-sleeves/ ... There is video on our video page on the JRB Down Sleeves and there use... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/videos/ Scroll down to the 15th video... You might find a few nuggets in some of the other videos, all linked to that single page.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Nice job on the cosco conversion.

FWIW, the history on down sleeves starts with Jack R Better introducing them with the original design in December of 2005...

They have enjoyed good popularity and are still available for those who like the idea and would like to find them ready to use... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/down-sleeves/ ... There is video on our video page on the JRB Down Sleeves and there use... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/videos/ Scroll down to the 15th video... You might find a few nuggets in some of the other videos, all linked to that single page.

Pan
    I'm sorry, I should have noted this. You're down sleeves look incredible, and I am thoroughly impressed with how you were able to get the sizing just right. I originally tried to make the sleeves symmetrical, but when I'd put them on they never seemed to work (fit felt strange), and so I had to get my girlfriend to taylor it directly to my shape (since my shoulders are disproportionate). This took a lot of sewing on tabs/ seam ripping/ resewing in a different place, etc. In all of the pictures I looked at for yours, this seems to be a non-issue. Also, I love the easy on/ off. That seems to be an amazing feature.

At some point I would love to purchase a pair of yours (my sewing skills are not nearly up to those standards lol).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post
    You basically hit the nail on the head. The only difference, though, is that you will want to twist the down sleeves a little past the toes, and then bring it back in around itself. Think "beanie buff". I usually do it off of my foot. I put my hand about a foot's length up the cuff side of the sleeves and twist a quarter or half turn. Then, I flip it inside out, and bring it back around itself up to the "v" of the top part (the part that rests int he armpit). Once here, I usually put in my foot and cinch it up.

Pro Tip: The more twists you do, the less give there will be. So, if you do less twists and make the foot portion of the booties a little less than your foot, then it will expand in length to fit your foot. If, though, you do more twists, then the length generally will expand less, and it will be tighter inside.

I hope all of this makes sense, and thanks for asking! It is definitely a nice add-on, and a low cost way to stay warm in the winter. I do want to point one thing out that I feel a lot of people who use these don't mention much. There is a small gap in the armpit area, and if you move your arms up, then it will become more pronounced. It could be a good thing or bad thing depending, but it is there.
    I completely missed the twist, the first time. Great pro tip! Looking forward to having another reason to rip into another Costco quilt.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

• + New Posts