Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

2 night Denver Area camping? Hanging of course

Hey,

I have a meeting for work at the end of August and will be flying in 2 days before it starts. Bringing my hammock gear, renting a car and would like to explore what i can in 2 nights (1 night at each place).

With that said, ill fly into Denver and rent a car. Where should i go on Friday night and where should i go on Saturday night? I dont mind driving up to 4 hours between each spot, so long as sunday morning it wont take more than 4 hours to get back to Denver.

Never been to Colorado and understand to do it right, i need more time. But given the circumstances, where should i go?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WarWolf View Post
    Hey,

I have a meeting for work at the end of August and will be flying in 2 days before it starts. Bringing my hammock gear, renting a car and would like to explore what i can in 2 nights (1 night at each place).

With that said, ill fly into Denver and rent a car. Where should i go on Friday night and where should i go on Saturday night? I dont mind driving up to 4 hours between each spot, so long as sunday morning it wont take more than 4 hours to get back to Denver.

Never been to Colorado and understand to do it right, i need more time. But given the circumstances, where should i go?

Thanks!
    I dont even know where to begin. 4 hours from Denver can pretty much get you anywhere in Colorado. Tons of free National Forest camping. I found an awesome dispersed camping area just above Twin Lakes. Plenty of trees, paved to the dispersed camping area, Mt. Elbert in the background and Twin Lakes below...pretty amazing.

A couple things to consider. Elevation. I came from sea level and got headaches even just driving above 11,000 feet.

I mentioned free dispersed camping, so many cool spots, but a lot of them are after my miles of dirt road either going uphill or over rocks.

I loved the San Juan Mountains, but had trouble getting to the dispersed camping there. Ended up staying two nights at a regular campground at Ridgway State Park. That was pretty nice.

Also not sure what will be crowded on weekends when compared to weekday.

I see you are from Bucks County, so pretty close to me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looking at it again, I guess the San Juans are a bit out of your range. I would suggest the Leadville Twin Lakes area. Rocky Mountain National Park would be nice, but so crowded.

Images
    I would Google Kenosha Pass. There is parking for the Colorado Trail on both sides of the road and pay campgrounds if you like. If you don't mine hiking a short distance go East Seg5 or West seg 6 my favorite and find two trees 100 ft off the trail. Lots to see if you stay on the CT or bushwack with your GPS. Go look for Mt Guyot or South Park Valley All easy hikes. hth

mt Guyot is the peak on the far right.

South Park Valley from 10,000ft

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Are there back country sites in the Rocky Mountain National park?

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    I found an awesome dispersed camping area just above Twin Lakes. Plenty of trees, paved to the dispersed camping area, Mt. Elbert in the background and Twin Lakes below...pretty amazing.
    Durunner, can you expand on your description of dispersed camping area just above Twin Lakes?
    I was looking at Google maps just West of Twin Lakes and I see: Parry Peak campground, Twin peaks campground, Echo Canyon Trailhead, Dirt Road on South Side of (82) between Hayden gulch and 82c, Twin lake Camp Site of of 82D Graham Gulch, all before Independence Pass.

Where exactly is the dispersed area? Thanks
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    Durunner, can you expand on your description of dispersed camping area just above Twin Lakes?
    I was looking at Google maps just West of Twin Lakes and I see: Parry Peak campground, Twin peaks campground, Echo Canyon Trailhead, Dirt Road on South Side of (82) between Hayden gulch and 82c, Twin lake Camp Site of of 82D Graham Gulch, all before Independence Pass.

Where exactly is the dispersed area? Thanks
    It is basically south of what they call Mt. Elbert Forebay. Across the road from that. On the way up there, there was actually a pay campground. I pulled in right off the road, but if you can drive over the rocky terrain or carry your hammock to the edge of the dispersed camping and have one of the most amazing views ever. You have a clear view several hundred feet above the lakes. Close enough to probably walk to the South Elbert Trailhead too

RMNP has backcountry spots that can be reserved if you carry a pack. Getting an actual car camping spot is nearly impossible. I found another cool 15 dollar a night campgroind about halfway between Boulder and RMNP. There are a few dispersed camping sites around Boulder, but I had read a bit about drifter types setting up there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Btw, if anyone does stay in that area, drive over Independence Pass. Some white knuckle driving, but it is stunning.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Thanks,durunner, I have actually fished there but did not know the name. I usually camp/hang at Molly Brown camp on Turquoise Lake just west of the town of Leadville.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    There are some really neat dispersed camping sites about an hour west of Fort Collins (1 hour north of Denver) that you can almost literally drive right to. Molly Lake - right out side Redfeather lakes is a cool spot but that whole area is a neat location that isn't crowded and very easily accessable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast