SLD Trail Lar
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    CRO
    Suspension
    Dutchware,MyersTec

Whoopies: Dynaglide vs Amsteel

Do you use dynaglide or amsteel? I'm between the two. Well below the weigh limit for either (~105lb). So I'm more concerned about ease of use (I've heard dynaglide can be more difficult to handle because of its tighter weave) and durability (I don't want to have replace my suspension after a year). If its six to one, half dozen to the other, I'll save the bit of weight and go dynaglide. However, if dynaglide is more difficult to handle and won't last me more than a season, doesn't seem worth the 1.5 oz savings. Any experiences you care to share?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I used a full Dynaglide suspension for a season. I opted to use it because of the weight savings. I am at 190-ish and had no issues with it. I didn't use it in constrictor setup, so I can't comment on whether it slips or not. I used it with Loop Aliens and over time it did start to show compression, but truth told, so does the Amsteel. I do love splicing it far more than Amsteel or Zingit. I am building a new suspension for a DIY hammock and I believe I am going to go back to Amsteel, but to satisfy my desire to shave some weight I am going harware free, and will use a UCR instead of whoopies. While I have grown confident that the Dynaglide will support me, and I ain't gonna die, the weight savings is negligible compared to and in light of the safety margin gained from Amsteel. I am keeping the Dynaglide/Loop Alien suspension for my AHE Bushman Hammock Chair.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've been using Dynaglide for 5 years. I weigh 200 pounds.

One end is 5 years old and the other is half that, because I pulled the adjustable loop through one night.

Fortunately, I carry a 4' long dog bone of Dynaglide for just such foolishness.
    It's also handy for hanging my gravity filter bag.
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I've been using Dynaglide for 5 years. I weigh 200 pounds.

One end is 5 years old and the other is half that, because I pulled the adjustable loop through one night.

Fortunately, I carry a 4' long dog bone of Dynaglide for just such foolishness.
    It's also handy for hanging my gravity filter bag.
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Dynaglide whoopies? No slipping? How long is the bury?
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Dynaglide whoopies? No slipping? How long is the bury?
    Yes, Dynaglide Whoopies. Bury per manufacturers instructions, 7". (New England Rope)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    So to revisit this thread... I had switched to a full Dynaglide UCR setup mid year last season.
    I used the same setup made of 7/64 Amsteel for two seasons and decided to dial it back a bit.
    Consists of Kevlar straps attached to the fixed eye in the end of the Dynglide UCR via a Beckett Hitch. the other end has an Amsteel diamond knot spliced into it using the Albright knot and the diamond knot gets captured by the Dynaglide CL's on my hammock using a sliding locked whipping knot.

I love the setup. Haven't had any issues with slipping. Super compact. Fun to make.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I used a full Dynaglide suspension for a season. I opted to use it because of the weight savings. I am at 190-ish and had no issues with it. I didn't use it in constrictor setup, so I can't comment on whether it slips or not. I used it with Loop Aliens and over time it did start to show compression, but truth told, so does the Amsteel. I do love splicing it far more than Amsteel or Zingit. I am building a new suspension for a DIY hammock and I believe I am going to go back to Amsteel, but to satisfy my desire to shave some weight I am going harware free, and will use a UCR instead of whoopies. While I have grown confident that the Dynaglide will support me, and I ain't gonna die, the weight savings is negligible compared to and in light of the safety margin gained from Amsteel. I am keeping the Dynaglide/Loop Alien suspension for my AHE Bushman Hammock Chair.
    I completely agree with MikekiM and would add one other caveat - Amsteel for me is MUCH easier to spice and work with than dynaglide for the one simple reason (at least with 7/64 which I assume is the alternative "amsteel") amsteel has only 8 strands and dynaglide has 12. Doesn't seem like much of difference but do a bunch of splicing and lets talk.

Amsteel all the way from safety factor to ease of use, and finally - if it is a factor at all - more color options.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've been using the same materials for years as MikekiM, with Whoopie slings instead of UCR's. Tried the UCR:'s but found them unreliable for me.
    Recently however, I ordered ti Loop Aliens which will essentially negate the need for whoopies. I can then go to a single strand of Dynaglide as opposed to doubled strands in the whoopies.
    The reason for the change is I plan more deep winter camping and am concerned about buries freezing up overnight.
    I'll report back after experimenting with this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts