Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tree strap width

I am quite certain this might be a bit controversial but I was wondering if there is a (somewhat) consistence strap width on trees. Basically wondering if 1/2" mule tape would be acceptable or if something 1" needs to be added as a hugger for contact with the tree?

I'm pretty certain the 1" width strap rule is due to regulations or pseudo regulations to help in preventing the cambium layer under the bark of the trees being crushed and damage occurring that could result in the said trees dying.
    Most State Parks require 1 inch wide straps and huggers at a minimum (some may still require 2 inch wide, though I'm not entirely certain)
    Anyone have any other info, feel free to chime in.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    The general consensus is that 1" is the minimum. That said different land management orgs may have stricter requirements ( i.e. Fla requires 2" I believe ).

Considering it's not very hard to find 1" nylon straps I'd say it's not difficult to play along with the 1" 'rule'.

BTW I use muletape in most of my suspensions, but not on the tree.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    1" is pretty well regarded as minimum for contact with the trees. Though rules seem to be becoming more and more common and 1.5", 2" and I have heard of one area saying 3" are getting more prevalent. Leave No Trace Center recommends 1-1.5" straps. https://lnt.org/blog/hammock-camping
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Sgt Rock used the mule tape, but did so w/quite a few wraps around the tree to spread the compression force. Don't know if it works as designed.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    Considering it's not very hard to find 1" nylon straps
    Don't use nylon. It stretches. Tree straps should be made from materials that don't stretch (much). Polyester, polypropylene, Dyneema, Kevlar etc. are suitable.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    1" minimum.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

I camped at Lewis and Clark State Park in Missouri last weekend and the campground host said hammocks had to be on a stand and could not attach to trees. Next time I'm there I'm going to ask a park ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmadden View Post
    I camped at Lewis and Clark State Park in Missouri last weekend and the campground host said hammocks had to be on a stand and could not attach to trees. Next time I'm there I'm going to ask a park ranger.
    So what did you do? Turn around and go home? I've never been faced with this but it is one of my secret fears.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    One inch is by far the consistent standard, but regulations on that are spotty. Some state agencies have started to adopt specific hammock language and if so, most will say "straps" without any other designation. Some might say 1", and FL says 2" (as well as a few other states I believe). I would be leery of hanging in state parks using the half inch mule tape just because I'd worry that rangers might not consider it a "strap" or "hugger". However, outside of these closely managed areas, I don't think you'll find any problem using it. I personally would not use it, partially because I don't want to worry when I go out that I might be causing some damage, and partially because I'd be afraid I can't use it in some areas and I'd rather have a consistent worry-free setup. If you're good about understanding which trees are vulnerable, then I say go for it. If you want a light, consistent setup, use 1" as most all do.

p.s. I'm actually going to a short section of 2" kevlar strap to use when I'm hanging on younger trees, or trees with soft bark which are typically thinner. Whether its an issue due to logging or whatever, I find that on the AT, I'm often finding my best spots to hang on younger trees.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast