Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    I'll have to do that this weekend then..... Got a chameleon this past year.....and a 0* HG Econ Incubator - which is probably overkill for the summer. Do I treat the underquilt protector or underquilt as well?
    I'd treat 1/2 the Gemini UQ I made last year - but I'm actually using that in the house now. Guess who sleeps in the ENO DN just about every night now??

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigglet View Post
    I'll have to do that this weekend then..... Got a chameleon this past year.....and a 0* HG Econ Incubator - which is probably overkill for the summer. Do I treat the underquilt protector or underquilt as well?
    I'd treat 1/2 the Gemini UQ I made last year - but I'm actually using that in the house now. Guess who sleeps in the ENO DN just about every night now??
    I treated the outside of my hammock, UQ , UQP, bugnet and the inside of my tarp plus my hiking boots, a lightweight synthetic outfit or two that I will only wear for hiking , ball cap, sun hat, my small day pack and my new Condor H harness + padded riggers belt cover that both have PALS webbing for attaching MOLLE pouches/gear. To some that might be overkill, but to them I say you must have never lived in Maryland or on the Chesapeake bay before lol. My wife doesn't mind that I sleep in my hammock full time since I usually lay in bed and watch tv with her until she is asleep and then get in my hammock.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    OH NO ! I was just reminded by my wife that the second weekend in June is when we are going to Hershey park with the Girl scouts for my little one to camp for the weekend!!!! $#!+ I'm soooo sorry guys! When is the next best date for everyone? The 3rd weekend? We could do like jelly suggested : Friday camp, Saturday hike or what we did before, Sat morning through afternoon hike and Sat night camp. I can believe I didn't realize that was the same weekend!!! ****! I really really need to get out there and get this done too and having you guys help is HUGE! So let me know what you think and hopefully that weekend is still ok. Between my stupid kidney surgeries, having this **** stent in and this Hershey Park thing, I'm booked solid. I could possibly do this coming weekend if that by chance works for everyone since I get the stent out Friday and should be fine by Saturday to hike some. Just let me know guys, and again, I'm SUPER SORRY !!!! ~ Marshall
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigglet View Post
    You should be fine with The 0° Incubator inn the summer. I'll show you how to vent it so it's there is some room for air to circulate between it and the hammock bottom. If it's vented properly, having the right TQ for the temp/weather is the most important factor. It can be tricky to get right at first in the warmer months since it can get quite warm and humid inside a hammock with the bugnet, but it's certainly doable and once it's dialed in you should be comfortable and not too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    OH NO ! I was just reminded by my wife that the second weekend in June is when we are going to Hershey park with the Girl scouts for my little one to camp for the weekend!!!! $#!+ I'm soooo sorry guys! When is the next best date for everyone? The 3rd weekend? We could do like jelly suggested : Friday camp, Saturday hike or what we did before, Sat morning through afternoon hike and Sat night camp. I can believe I didn't realize that was the same weekend!!! ****! I really really need to get out there and get this done too and having you guys help is HUGE! So let me know what you think and hopefully that weekend is still ok. Between my stupid kidney surgeries, having this **** stent in and this Hershey Park thing, I'm booked solid. I could possibly do this coming weekend if that by chance works for everyone since I get the stent out Friday and should be fine by Saturday to hike some. Just let me know guys, and again, I'm SUPER SORRY !!!! ~ Marshall
    My mom is visiting from NJ and staying with us this week until Saturday or Sunday --- so I doubt I'll be able to do this weekend.
    So far I'm still free the 3rd weekend of June (June 16-17) and the last weekend of June (June 30-July 1).
    After that I've got no free weekends until the end of July.

Side note -- June 17th is Father's Day --- for all the guys this may or may not present an issue for that Sunday....just sayin'.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Ok good. 3rd weekend in June, going once.......

You should be fine with The 0° Incubator inn the summer. I'll show you how to vent it so it's there is some room for air to circulate between it and the hammock bottom. If it's vented properly, having the right TQ for the temp/weather is the most important factor. It can be tricky to get right at first in the warmer months since it can get quite warm and humid inside a hammock with the bugnet, but it's certainly doable and once it's dialed in you should be comfortable and not too hot.

Cool beans. I partially made a Gemini underquilt for the other hammock - botched the inner layer kam snaps and haven't fixed that yet so I'm using that as a pseudo-TQ in the house. Might have to get another one just to make a regular top quilt out of it. I've got a 15* down sleeping bag but that's going to be way too hot. Last summer I think I just used an old fleece throw as a blanket if I got chilly overnight.

When I bought the chameleon, I opted to get a bugnet AND the winter topcover with the moonlight option - so if it isn't too hot, might be OK with the topcover and a light blanket. When I tried it out one night in the backyard, it seemed to keep me pretty warm...but I can't remember what the overnight temp was that evening (although I KNOW it wasn't really cold).

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's a tip : Last summer I picked up a cheap, blue Ozark Trail synthetic sleeping bag liner from Wal-Mart for like $5. I cut it down the back to turn it into a TQ and gathered the foot end up with a rubber band to adjust the length. Now, it's the perfect length to fit in all my TQ's..... In the winter, it adds one more layer to my system to help keep some of the sensible/insensible perspiration out of my down which helps keep its loft longer, and me warmerer in that regard as well. In the spring/ summer I can use it on its own when it's hot and muggy instead of a TQ or inside my synthetic TQ's to help keep them clean and dry from sweat, dirt, body oil, bug spray etc. A few weeks ago, I picked up another one ( this time it's dark olive green to match my quilts lol). With this one I plan on cutting it to the proper length for me and sewing some shock cord into the foot end so I can cinch it closed and actually hemming the cut edges this time so it's nice and finished. I might even add a cinch to the head end as well. But for $5 and an hour of work , it can help a TON if you, like me, try to go the budget route whenever possible lol. Im actually laying in my diy Argon 1.6 Hammock in my bedroom right now and am using it lol. I also use my Snugpak Cocoon inside quite a bit year round. Snugpak has several different types of bag liners that are made from different materials. I have their Thermalon liner that's wool like and am thinking about getting the Peratex liner that's antimicrobial and antibacterial to use in the summer since its so GD hot and humid here lol. If I do, I'll be riding it into a TQ shape as well, just like I did the Thermalon and OZ trail liners lol. At around the 2:30 mark in this vid I show the OZ trail and Snugpak liners : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QSJrWi0TN0k . And at 8 mins in this vid I show them out of their bags and spread out so you can see how I turned it into a TQ shape : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiVwwoItLI .

Here's a tip : Last summer I picked up a cheap, blue Ozark Trail synthetic sleeping bag liner from Wal-Mart for like $5. I cut it down the back to turn it into a TQ and gathered the foot end up with a rubber band to adjust the length. Now, it's the perfect length to fit in all my TQ's..... In the winter, it adds one more layer to my system to help keep some of the sensible/insensible perspiration out of my down which helps keep its loft longer, and me warmerer in that regard as well. In the spring/ summer I can use it on its own when it's hot and muggy instead of a TQ or inside my synthetic TQ's to help keep them clean and dry from sweat, dirt, body oil, bug spray etc. A few weeks ago, I picked up another one ( this time it's dark olive green to match my quilts lol). With this one I plan on cutting it to the proper length for me and sewing some shock cord into the foot end so I can cinch it closed and actually hemming the cut edges this time so it's nice and finished. I might even add a cinch to the head end as well. But for $5 and an hour of work , it can help a TON if you, like me, try to go the budget route whenever possible lol. Im actually laying in my diy Argon 1.6 Hammock in my bedroom right now and am using it lol. I also use my Snugpak Cocoon inside quite a bit year round. Snugpak has several different types of bag liners that are made from different materials. I have their Thermalon liner that's wool like and am thinking about getting the Peratex liner that's antimicrobial and antibacterial to use in the summer since its so GD hot and humid here lol. If I do, I'll be riding it into a TQ shape as well, just like I did the Thermalon and OZ trail liners lol. At around the 2:30 mark in this vid I show the OZ trail and Snugpak liners : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QSJrWi0TN0k . And at 8 mins in this vid I show them out of their bags and spread out so you can see how I turned it into a TQ shape : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FiVwwoItLI .

I'll have to check those vids out and may try that. I've used the Snugpak cocoon last summer - since I still haven't managed to get it dialed in to not have coldspots underneath - but in the summer it didn't matter. I'd lie on top of the cocoon when it was really humid and then as the evening got cooler and I got colder I'd unzip the cocoon and slide in - still leaving most of it unzipped as it's way too warm otherwise.

I've been thinking about picking up a 3-season sleeping bag or something like that from Walmart and converting it into a pseudo-TQ --- but haven't bothered yet. Any of the synthetics are still so bulky, even for the warmer temps. CDTs on sale with kam snaps might be the cheapest and easiest to pack way to go.

I picked up a bag liner/travel sheet from REI with a coupon a while back - and I've used it once or twice but I really don't like it much. Don't like the way it feels and I'm always getting twisted up with it - maybe because it might be too big.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    3rd weekend in June ok for everyone ???

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast