Chameleon Fabric Options

Good morning!

I'm pretty new to hammocks, and REALLY new to understanding the various fabric options. Hexon! Argon! Oh my!

I'm wondering if the collective can help steer me into a material and weight that might work best for me.

Me:

5'10"

172lbs

I sleep exclusively on my back at home, with an occasional move to my side for a bit
    I like my bed 'firm' but supportive and comfy. I don't think I'd enjoy a lot of springy/stretchy. I have an ENO doublenest that's comfy to lounge in, but I don't think I could sleep in it. Too stretchy.

I HATE HATE HATE being hot/sweaty when I sleep. Something breathable would be great. I have a Hammock Gear Econ underquilt and top quilt on the way, so I'm sure part of that equation is adjusting them properly for the conditions.

I do a fair bit of hiking. I'm not a 'ultralite' hiker by any stretch, but something that is weight conscious would be ideal.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but any input on your experiences would be great!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Based on all of your input, I'd say Hexon 1.6 is just the ticket.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hexon 1.6 FTW
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The Hexon 1.0 might be too "stretchy" for you so maybe the 1.6?

I am 6'2, 190 and I have a Hexon 1.0. chameleon and I love the feel. I sleep on a memory foam mattress at night and don't find the 1.0 too stretchy for my taste, but I'm sure it's not as stiff as the 1.6. I'm mainly a side sleeper.
    SBO YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFB5MZ1uYOsGgg7kVZazp1g

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I'm only 160 lbs, 6' and I know I could get away with 1.0 but 1.6 is by far my favorite fabric. It doesn't have very much stretch with very little calf ridge (10.5). I am a dedicated side sleeper and I have had no problems with kinks in my back like I have some really stretchy materials.

Quote Originally Posted by schillke View Post
    The Hexon 1.0 might be too "stretchy" for you so maybe the 1.6?

I am 6'2, 190 and I have a Hexon 1.0. chameleon and I love the feel. I sleep on a memory foam mattress at night and don't find the 1.0 too stretchy for my taste, but I'm sure it's not as stiff as the 1.6. I'm mainly a side sleeper.
    This is interesting. I sleep on a memory foam bed (GhostBed) and love it. If the 1.0 is similar to that experience, I could live with that.

Thanks again for all the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by HammyDavisJr View Post
    This is interesting. I sleep on a memory foam bed (GhostBed) and love it. If the 1.0 is similar to that experience, I could live with that.

Thanks again for all the input everyone!
    I would go with the 1.6 Hexon over the 1.0. From what I understand the Hexon 1.6 still has some give/stretch to it compared to say 1.6 Hyper D. For me I would rather error on the side of caution on a purchase like the Chameleon. For me I like the extra support for things like getting in and out of the Hammock. The hammock I have now feels like I am going to go through it when getting in it as it stretchs a lot.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and about 150lbs. I find the 1.0 too soft for me. There are those here upwards of 300lbs who love 1.0. Different strokes, life experiences etc. The ONLY way to know is to try for yourself. If the expense isn't too much of an issue, get one each 1.0 and 1.6 in the plain jane versions and spend a few nights in each of them. Then you'll know which YOU prefer so you can order the correct Chameleon the first time. Sell the others if you want or keep to loan to family, friends etc. Seems more logical to me than spending a wad and getting the wrong one.

May as well accept it now that you're going to wind up with multiple hammocks anyway. We all do.

EDIT: This past weekend I had an HF member over to try out several hammock fabrics before he ordered a new one. Maybe you can find someone in your area. Check for group hangs.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 06-08-2017 at 11:18.

• + New Posts