Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarp or rain fly

Good morning hanger fans! I am going on a quick over night we here in Minnesota and here is my question. Cheap Tarp or rain fly? While this is my first time ever going out and sleeping on a hammock, it probably won't be my last. So do I just suck it up and get a ENO rain fly or a rain tarp for this round.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Not sure of dimensions of tarp versus rain fly. Maybe buy once, cry once--and get the one you want. Your biggest challenge will be bottom insulation--to avoid the dreaded CBS--you might need a pad or underquilt to avoid Cold Butt Syndrome.
    Kowalzekc welcome from Denton NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Welcome to the forum.

Think I'd tarp it this time and make sure you are committed then brown bag a few lunches and buy a quality tarp like a Superfly. PG is correct.. Buy once cry once.

Have a great time and post pics.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Don't be afraid to learn (be wrong)!
    I started out with a classic blue 8×10 poly tarp, it was heavy and bulky but it was cheap and did the job. I scaled up incrementally from there, learning what I liked or not about each kind: I learned I like large winter tarps year round, for better coverage. Other people go for ultralight, but I like being able to put my rain gear on BEFORE I get wet rather than get soaked while trying to put it on. This is all stuff I learned along the way, but also things that no one else can tell me. I might choose my tarp based on these things, but you might prefer less weight and a better view.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    If you came from tent camping and have ground cloth of a large tent, that can be use right away.

As to the tarp or rainfly question, in my mind, a rainfly is small and basic. Having said that, I would go with a tarp. I agree with the buy once, cry once attitude previously articulated with one exception. That one exception is for someone just doing his/her first outing. One can buy a rudimentary tarp quite reasonably to try things out without incurring a lot of cost. A Wal Mart tarp won't be expensive and would probably be used for other things in your life. For a one time test-run to determine the appeal of the hammock experience, I think it's a great idea. Once you decide hanging is for you, spend the money necessary in the "buy once cry once" mode and don't look back.

One thing about the big poly tarp is that it's going to be loud. OTOH, you can buy a softer tarp later, and use the poly one as a groundsheet under it. An arrangement I've been meaning to try is rain fly a bit higher than normal, good tarp on the upwind side, pitched away with a poly tarp under the whole thing. Bulky, but keeps blowing rain far away, and provides a nice large porch. Obviously better for longer term camping near the vehicle, though.

What's the difference from tarp to fly

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    If you're committed to hammock life and can afford a good tarp, then do it right the first time.

I like the SuperFly tarp and its doors, but I've mainly been camping and like the privacy. If I were living up north, then I'd be backpacking and might go with something lighter since privacy is rarely a concern.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by VarmintSniper3o View Post
    What's the difference from tarp to fly
    The terms are interchangeable, but the OP is probably referring to the cheap $10 blue/green tarp from Target/Walmart..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast