RSBTR DIY Kit
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Bellipanni View Post
    I don't understand why you've had a bad experience with the Aerie. I actually slept in mine last night with no problems. Only in 40 degrees but still I only had on shorts and I was toasty. Mine lofts to 3 inches in less than 30 minutes and I've always had a good experience with Outdoor Vitals products and customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being that your one post as a brand new member is to defend the product and customer service, I can't see you as anything else other than a shill.

If you've had nothing but positive experience with the product(s), then you haven't needed customer service.

The pictures I posted don't lie.

Also, it's a 20* product. 40* isn't the litmus test. In my HG, I wear shorts and a t-shirt into the low 20s.

If I got a bad one, fine. Manufacturer just needs to step up and provide a solution. But they refused to respond to me via any communication medium.
    Last edited by MrBunzy; 06-20-2017 at 10:37.
    Red Belt Grand Master Barista. Don't ask me about it, or there will be coffee made.

I really don't have time to argue with you nor did I mean to start anything... Point is mine keeps me warm and I back O.V. 100%

I purchased the Aerie 20 in April to take on the GA section of the AT. Long story short it packed well, lofted "OK" and performed OK for several functions but not GREAT for anything. Night 1 was awesome, slept warm in it as a sleeping bag. Night 2 it rained and got down to 40* and I was ok, a bit damp and it didn't breath well. Nights 3-5 were soaked as it rained heavily for 60+ hours straight. It was wet, clammy and performed more like a 40* bag but I was impressed it worked at all. I was really wishing I had a mummy bag as the extra space of this rectangle bag let in a lot of drafts. Here is the issue...the zipper flaps are so thin they jam the zipper every 9" like clockwork until your ready to scream. I got Norovirus on day 5 and it was so bad I couldn't zip the bag as I knew it would jam when I NEEDED to get out fast! Imagine if I had been using it as a pod and the zippers were this bad?? Overall I wish I would have saved my cash and bought something else.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    NeoAirTrkr/KeltyDn
    Suspension
    NylWebg+WhoopieSlg
    @shug @jeeprcreeprs thank you for the detailed response and personal experience with the aerie. Much appreciated an sorry so late to respond.

Hammock
    Hemmens
    Tarp
    Robens 3x3
    Suspension
    various diy
    I cannot speak to the warmth of the Aerie 20 yet (I just bought it and it's in mid 30s(°C) now).

I can say I ordered two (as a combo TQ/UQ, and as a quilt for when I am sailing/racing in the winter, and as a combined blanket/bag when I camp with my partner or go to festivals).

They only shipped one, but had the receipt for two, so I got dinged a huge amount for customs (coming into EU sucks for this, especially in Croatia). I emailed them, they refunded me an agreed upon, reasonable part of my customs fee and immediately sent the second that day. It came yesterday, and customs here doubled my receipt, and they are notoriously difficult to deal with, so now I've paid about $150 in tax to get these two quilts here...yep.

The zips are kind of crap, catching all the time on something. The loop at the end for connecting the suspension (for UQ use) is tiny and in my mind should be sewn in a 'v' configuration to disperse the pulling load (especially into the end cinch cord), rather than doubled on itself.

I hand-sewed another loop close to the edge so I can run another elastic cord like a channel suspension using the loops along the side, and use the original provided suspension as a secondary. My pull outs are the wider ones on the right:
    ovaerie20suspension.jpg

Should help the gear last better and distribute the main load on a wider section of the zipper (where all the pulls are sewn to). I've done a test hang in my apartment and it seems to have also helped the aerie snug up nicely to the hammock. I'll probably do a further write up when the season turns and I go hiking in the mountains this October.

With VAT not being an issue, I'd probably feel better about it to this point, as the low cost got wiped away by their shipping mistake, and the government here who just randomly determines the tax on imports some times (all together I just paid 80%+ in taxes). Not buying anything from the USA/Canada above $30 now, customs is ridiculous. Getting most everything from the UK to skip that problem.

Hammock
    Dutch banyan bridge, hummingbird si
    Tarp
    Wb Cloudburst, Hg
    Insulation
    Loco libre, enligh
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles, jef

Outdoor Vitals - 20* Aerie Underquilt

I agree with shug on all points about this product. I have the aerie 20 black and the loft is great. Mine definitely does not look like the first picture in this post. Maybe quality has improved as the company has grown. I have had it out in all conditions since getting it and i have stayed warm so long as i am diligent on the setup. Stuffing my down jacket at the feet to fill in gaps and using TQ up around my shoulders. The zipper is sticky and you have to be patient with it and take it slow. I use with my chameleon as an UQ mostly and it works well. I chose it for the versatility as shug mentioned. I have used on the ground as well when i had no trees. My other big deciding factor wad not spending 300$ for a truly amazing UQ like most hammockers end up with later. 160$ is a good price for a decent sleeping bag/UQ/pod. Mine came with all the suspension gear and fortunately i have had no need for customer service. I hope i dont either. I also bought the new 6 sided tarp recently and i love it also. 1lb sil-poly with stakes and tie outs. Stayed dry in my first trip with a thunderstorm. Stayed warm with my aerie 20 also. When i have the money i may get a better UQ from HG or something, but right now I'm good and getting to hang in the woods with sasquatch watching me.

Last edited by Hanginw/sasquatch; 07-29-2017 at 00:41.

Hey Guys,

I came across this article this morning and just wanted to touch on a few things. First, my name is Tayson and I founded Outdoor Vitals. I'm not trying to fool anyone with who I am or doing some kind of guerilla marketing

I just wanted to say I'm super sorry for the negative experience you had. Our extreme growth put us in a bad customer service spot for a few months, which I hated. I didn't ever realize people weren't getting responded to, but assure you that's unacceptable. We have been able to hire another hand who strictly handles all customer service inquires and we are back to handling customer service like we did when I was still handling it all.

As for zippers. We are using YKK zippers, but they still don't seem to be a great fit for this bag. That being said by Christmas, all our Aerie bags should have the new YKK #5 anti snag zipper on them. This will be a huge improvement to zipper usability and those occasional sticky zippers that have been in this particular YKK model zipper.

As for down, we have also taken steps to improve this. We have been sourcing 800 fill power duck down, however it wasn't third party tested. Starting in about 1 week we will have our 2017 products (late I know) roll out. These down products are actually certified by a third party on every batch to be 800+ fill power. It is also hydrophobic treated. I believe the down we were using to be 800 fill power, but now I know it is over 800. Also we may look at changing baffle patterns in the future on this bag.

Last, we moved factories on these newer batches to a higher quality facility that should give us another bump in quality.

Ok all of this is to say, I'm sorry for any bad experiences you may have had. We are working tirelessly to improve on ALL feedback we get. If the you've had any negative experiences with us in the past, please please reach out and let us fix it. Our company is young and far from perfect, but I promise you we are working really hard to continually improve in every way we can!

Thanks,

Tayson

Hammock
    Dutch banyan bridge, hummingbird si
    Tarp
    Wb Cloudburst, Hg
    Insulation
    Loco libre, enligh
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles, jef
    Tayson, thanks for the man up. Thumbs up! Is there any chance on getting the new zipper on mine or do i just have to order a new one?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Outdoor Vitals in not a vendor on Hammock Forums. Please send your questions to him via PM or contact them on their web page.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Tayson first off thanks for the reply.
    All companies are going to have growing pains, but taking responsibility is key. Thank you.
    Hopefully we get a chance to see some truly revolutionary gear (I love the pod idea with the zippable foot box) and hopefully you get to achieve all the success you have put the work into.

Thank you for the post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast