Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug

BWCA in MN, bugs in May?

Hello, I'm doing a trip next weekend May 18-20 and I'm wondering...will I need mosquito repellent at this time of the year up there? I know the ticks are out, but are the skeeters and black flys/ deer flys ?Thanks
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't know if it helps, but I was up on the SHT last week May 2 - May 5. I had one mosquito land on me during the trip. No other flies or ticks seen during the whole trip. Furthest north I got was the caribou spur trail to lake Agnes which is a bit north of Lutsen.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    That's good to know, I know that the temps are a little cooler on the North Shore area so it may be less likely the bugs are there versus out of Ely, however not too far off - maybe a 5-10 degree difference. I think I will bring a small bottle of DEET just in case. I really do not think there will be a problem with the mosquitos or flies. Just wanted some Intel if anyone had any!
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was planning a trip up to the BWCA about the same time frame you're going, a few years ago. Trip got cancelled due to work obligations, but all of the research I did said you should be okay with the bugs at that time. Definitely take some DEET just in case. My research showed that you'll possibly have more issues with rain/thunderstorms than you will bugs. You'll have a great time nonetheless and please post up some pics. I have yet to make it up there and it's on my bucket list for sure.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    You're going to be right on the cusp. They may be out, they may not but as others are saying go prepared for the worst and hope for the best. We were out about that time last year doing the loop around Snowbank Lake and they were out in force.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Be Prepared for them.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Mosquitoes are just emerging here about 90 miles south of where you're headed. Given the weather forecast, I think they will probably be pretty visible by that time. Once they start coming out, they get thick pretty fast.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    Thanks everyone, I was on the fence about even bothering bringing DEET or soaking the clothes in Permethrin, however I'm definitely bringing DEET, most likely will do a treatment of Permethrin as well. If there's one thing I've learned in MN woods, its those skeeters and flies can ruin a trip.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHanger View Post
    Thanks everyone, I was on the fence about even bothering bringing DEET or soaking the clothes in Permethrin, however I'm definitely bringing DEET, most likely will do a treatment of Permethrin as well. If there's one thing I've learned in MN woods, its those skeeters and flies can ruin a trip.
    I'm going to beat this dead horse again..... Use Picaridin instead of DEET. It might be easier on your body and it's definitely easier on your gear. DEET will wreak havoc on synthetic materials and Picaridin works as well IMO. I've used it on my last 3 Boundary Waters trips and won't buy DEET again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Upon watching Shug's success with those little clip on repellent fans, I picked up couple for me and the wife. They do work fairly well and kept us sane on a couple trips last year including our Snowbank escapade.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast