Tarp
    HG Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Cool Backyard hanging on posts in ground

Hey y'all, it's green dog here and I've been hammocking for about a year now. When I'm not backpacking with my hammock I often hang it on the support posts on my back porch. But what I really want to do is put some sturdy posts in the ground and hang from those. My question is: how deep do I need to dig the hole? what size posts? Should I use cement in the hole or just dirt? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    What kind of dirt do you have?
    I'm sure you could get away with a 4x4 but I would suggest a 4x6 due to the fact it looks better and will warp a little less, set it long ways with the hammock suspension, and I would dig out 2'-3' hole, if your in soft stuff or wettish clay another 6 inches, I would dry pack quick create in the first 2 inches and set post and fill till there is about 4 inches left and pack the rest with the dirt you dug out. you may even want to angle the tops of the post away from the center line about 15* so if it does move it move to straight vs. sag.
    also are you going to run a bolt through or are you going to notch out the corners on the post?
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Most folks will recommend a 4"x6" treated structural timber at a minimum with 6"x6" preferred, but many folks report using 4"x4" timbers of similar grade successfully IF the tops of the posts are connected with a substantial horizontal cross-brace.

I think most folks recommend burying the post a minimum of 1/3 the height of the hammock anchor points, i.e., an 8-foot timber is buried at least 2 feet in the ground (with 6 feet above ground), which is 25% of the post below ground, but many feel more comfortable with at least 30% of the post buried.

IMHO a proper concrete foorting with correct drainage is never a bad idea...

My $0.02 on all of the above. YMMV, and others may have more informed opinions. That said, nothing I've ever built to date has fallen down...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-07-2017 at 19:35.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    In many areas of the country, it would be wise to set the posts below the frost level -- for example, here in southern Michigan, minimum is 42" deep. We usually set fence posts at least 48" down. Geographic location will determine frost heave level...

You can always contact the local utility company for some free used or broken power/street light poles. At least around here they will give them to you and usually have several dozen laying about for you to sort through to find two solid ones. Haven't used them for hammock posts yet, but they work great for corner fence posts. Tar what will be burried in the ground plus 6 inches above grade, cut to the lenght you want, and they should last a good long while. My two cents tho.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    In many areas of the country, it would be wise to set the posts below the frost level -- for example, here in southern Michigan, minimum is 42" deep. We usually set fence posts at least 48" down. Geographic location will determine frost heave level...
    Good point. Forgot about that, because here the frost level is only about 12"...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts