DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My personal preference is a separate open Fronkey style net without and draw cord in the bottom.

My bugnet, under quilt and top quilt are all attached to the suspension and get stuffed in a Waterproof sack together. When they come out, they are already set up.
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Horses for courses!

My go-to hiking hammock has an integrated net, and while I like a no-net hammock plus bug sock at home, I wouldn't take it hiking. Why? Several reasons. There's nothing I don't like about my integrated hammock when sleeping in the woods. The net is always attached, so I don't need to fiddle with it. With the standard bug socks (zippered as well as Fronkey-style), the openings for the hammock suspension are small, and it takes me a couple of minutes to thread everything correctly. And once it's on, I have to hang the underquilt within the sock. When I do that outdoors, and my bug sock is full of leaves and stuff. For home-use, I don't mind all that bother, and the floor is clean. Net and underquilt stay on, and the hammock doesn't go anywhere. And I like that I don't need to pull any zippers when I want to grab a book, a water bottle or whatever I need.

Outdoors, I prefer an integrated net because it stays on the hammock, I can hang the underquilt much more easily, nothing touches the ground and catches dirt, and it saves me a tiny bit of weight. I 3-season camp, so I always need / want a bug net. Bugs love to cuddle with me, but I don't return the love.

I don't see the sense in fully convertible hammocks. They are usually more expensive and a bit heavier. Any self-respecting hammock addict has more than one hammock anyway - so it makes sense to have one for buggy conditions and at least one no-net.

Since you have no experience, I would say start out with a no-net hammock to test the waters. No-nets are cheaper, and if you don't like hammock camping, you still have a great hammock for lounging around the house. If you like it, you'll get another hammock anyways.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    This may because I have not tried a Fronkey yet, will make one this summer.

But we have been enjoying our Dutch 'Summer' Socks. It is half net and half solid. On colder trips we rotate the net to the bottom. The solid top provides a slight heat boost. In summer the solid swiveled to the bottom may reduce the need for a UQ.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    This may because I have not tried a Fronkey yet, will make one this summer.

But we have been enjoying our Dutch 'Summer' Socks. It is half net and half solid. On colder trips we rotate the net to the bottom. The solid top provides a slight heat boost. In summer the solid swiveled to the bottom may reduce the need for a UQ.
    Good to hear you like yours. I wasn't a big fan of that style due to the complications getting the net on and off. I did like the idea of the uq protector / wind sock on it tho!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    My hammocktent has the integrated bugnet. My DH Raven has a removable net or cover. I like the flexibility of the Raven in that I can use the net for bug season, the cover for colder hang times, and the netless for late summer when the bugs are down. With the Raven the net or cover are able to roll up on the ridge line and be completely out of the way until needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123