Hammock
    yukon outfitters single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Aquaquest 10x13
    Insulation
    fleece bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR

Looking for recommendation for a budget hammock with integrated ridgeline bugnet.

I've been messing around with my hammock setup and finding that I'm not really a fan of a separate bugnet. I'm now in the market for a hammock with an integrated bugnet (removable would be a plus!).

I had one before but of the type that require more cords and whatnot than I liked to keep the bugnet excess fabric off my face (https://yukon-outfitters.com/product...ant=4856367745). I hated that bugnet design so I ripped the bugnet seam and took it off. I'm currently using this hammock with a Bear Butt bugnet. But it feels rather clumsy and I know that it could be much lighter for not too much cost.

So I've been looking around online and so far I'm having a difficult time finding any that's well below $100 for a simple integrated bugnet hammock that only need a ridgeline to holds up the net.

The closest candidate I could find is a Trail Lair without any customization at all from Simply Light. http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

I'm not terribly familiar of all of the vendors out there so this is why I'm asking here for recommendation. I would prefers to go below $75 but if I can't, I'll consider the simply light one if it's any good?

I have my own suspensions and ridgeline (all made of dutchwaregear amsteel).

Thank you very much for any inputs I'm hoping to use this hammock for my hike on the southern half of the Appalachian Trail 2018 Summer.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/LLG CP
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Have you checked out the Dream Hammock Raven? It is slightly more at $115 without any options, but I believe it is one of the best bang for buck hammocks out there and you are not tied to a specific lay direction just like a netless gathered end hammock . Also you are getting a hand made hammock from a top notch cottage vendor. I can't wait to get mine which is waiting to be built.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.ht...tegory=3582775

The Dream Hammock Darien would be another choice at a $100 price point, but it's net is not removable and has a specific lay either right or left, which is typical of most integrated net hammocks.

The Simply Light Designs is a very well respected vendor and the Trail Lair is a very nice hammock and would be a good choice. Its net is not removable but it can be unzipped and stowed away. It was number 2 on my list for integrated net hammocks that did not have a specific lay direction.

You can't go wrong with either one.
    Last edited by Kevtron; 04-09-2017 at 23:37.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    SLD sells one of the cheapest integrated hammocks that is (custom) made in the US. If you want cheaper, you would have to try to find something mass-produced in the Far East. Which probably won't be as nice.

The other option would be to sew a hammock yourself. You would need 4 yards of ripstop. A pretty cheap option is the 1.9oz ripstop sold by RbtR - 4 yards are $15.80. Add about 3 yards of Noseeum = $9.00, about 11' of zipper = $3.85, 2 double coil sliders, https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...nt=19657571137 = $0.70 and a roll of thread = $3.60 and you're good to go for $32.95, supposing you already have a sewing machine.

Personally, I'm impressed that the small US vendors can make great hammocks for those prices and earn a living. I have made quite a few hammocks myself, so I have an understanding how much money and work goes into it...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Anything made by simply light designs is going to be great. Dream hammock (that's the hammock I have) is great also
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I was in the exact same boat you are last year, and wound up going with the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. It goes on sale regularly for less than $50 in certain stores and on Amazon if you keep your eye on it, and there are threads on here mapping out a way to do a simple modification that allows you to attach a structural ridgeline that runs through the inside of the netting so that you don't have to separately suspend it. All you do is set up the hammock, and it's done.

This thread gives you one example: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eter+ridgeline

Mod takes minimal time, parts under $10 even if you have to buy a soldering iron, and is infinitely worth it.

I absolutely love it. I have since upgraded to a Blackbird XLC, but I would never turn down a week in that hammock. It will always stay in my rotation. Super comfortable at 10'6", and I used a 2.2mm dyneema adjustable ridgeline on mine to get the sag just right. Really, really great value with this mod, and there's a special sense of pride and enjoyment that you get out of lying in a hammock you made or enhanced with a modification.

Just something to consider! Hope it helps!
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Take a look at Dream Hammocks Raven, it's a beautiful hammock and a great deal considering the quality of everything that they make is top of the line!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    +1 on the Dream Hammock Raven. I took a look at SLD's Trail Lair, and to get the same options that come standard on the Raven- Hyper D fabric, extra zippers, continuous loops, and a ridgeline, the price went up to $150. Even with free shipping, that's still more than a comparable Raven with the included shipping cost. In terms of quality and comfort, I'm sure both are fantastic (I know the Raven is). I also enjoy the modularity of the Raven. It's hard to beat at that price.
    Last edited by rweb82; 04-11-2017 at 11:53.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I'll give another plug for Jared at SLD. I'm on my second Trail Lair right now and my 10' dark olive hexon 1.0 with double zipper and internal storage pocket is a work of art. IMO, it is as good, if not better, as any comparative hammocks offered by our HF cottage vendors. It is also reasonably priced and you won't have to wait for weeks (or months) for delivery.
    SLD Trail Lait FTW! Especially if you're in a hurry...
    (Perhaps my favorite camping hammock of all time, and Jared's customization, craftsmanship, and speed of order fulfillment will astonish you... My wife and I own at matching pair of these!)

Dream Hammock Raven, if you're in less of a hurry... (Legendary bespoke-built hammocks with real attention to every detail...)

Dutchware Chameleon, if you don't mind waiting until the start of the summer... (See my review here.)

PS: Jared has occasional discounted ready-to-ship Trail Lair hammocks in his Gear Up & Get Outdoors section... http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...x.php/cPath/29
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    yukon outfitters single with bugnet
    Tarp
    Aquaquest 10x13
    Insulation
    fleece bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Finally looked into the Dutchwaregear Chameleon. I'm convinced. I'll save up for that I need a new suspension system anyway. So I might as well bear with what I have for a little while longer than planned and save up for a complete chameleon system. Not sure if I'm going to get the vented top but I like their bugnet system and the various D-rings around the edge of the hammock. I've been ordering a couple items from there in the past few weeks and I've really been liking their stuff (got the wasp, hookworm, dutch hook, metal rings, amsteel, and some Lash it from them already.)

If the reviews for it starts taking a turn for the worse, I'll shift my saved up money toward the Dream Hammock Raven or the SLD Trail Lair.

• + New Posts