DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Amsteel to Amsteel and Amsteel to webbing connections

Besides being a pain to take apart once weighted, is there a significant loss in strength when Amsteel is larksheaded to Amsteel of the same size, like a whoopie connected directly to a continuous loop without hardware? My guess is the compression of the two lines reduces the bending radius in the connection to below what is recommended for Amsteel. Any idea how much this effects the minimum breaking strength? Would a hardware connection be better from a strength standpoint (a carabiner or ring to increase the Amsteel's bending radius)?

What about Amsteel to webbing connections? I'm not sure what the application was, but I recall a discussion about an Amsteel eye being larksheaded to a webbing eye. I believe in this case, the consensus was that the integrity of the whoopie was ok, but the bunched up eye on the webbing might be a problem. I can't seem to locate that thread at the moment. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The problem with line to line connections, is that the turn radius is miniscule, as one line turns and compresses the other. The strength of knots is directly related to turn radius. Thus, such a connection results in maximum reduction of line strength.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Why not connect the whoopies straight to the hammock and remove the CL from the equation? Then you wouldn't need to worry about compression.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    Why not connect the whoopies straight to the hammock and remove the CL from the equation? Then you wouldn't need to worry about compression.
    I agree with this, why not remove the cl and connect directly to the hammock?
    As far as the connection point at the webbing i would consider still using a biner or even a soft shackle, this way you can seperate the webbing from the rest in case you get sap from the tree on the webbing and your not gonna want to stuff that into your sack along with your hammock!

Images
    The other issue with line on line is wear and tear. Amsteel works really well for its intended purpose of holding a straight heavy load. Not meant for tying knots or holding up well to sideways forces.

Put a piece of cheap plastic tubing on your line to line joints to reduce the turn radius and reduce wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    One reason is if the trees are close together, you can hang just from the continuous loops and save about a foot. - basically two buries worth. With longer straps, the whoopies are rarely necessary, but in a situation with bigger trees further apart they can span the distance.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The problem with line to line connections, is that the turn radius is miniscule, as one line turns and compresses the other. The strength of knots is directly related to turn radius. Thus, such a connection results in maximum reduction of line strength.
    But hardware like Dutch Whoopie Hooks have a similar turn radius and seem to work fine(?).

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    One reason is if the trees are close together, you can hang just from the continuous loops and save about a foot. - basically two buries worth. With longer straps, the whoopies are rarely necessary, but in a situation with bigger trees further apart they can span the distance.
    You could either use a Dutch Whoopie Hook to avoid Amsteel-on-Amsteel, or you could simply thread the continuous loop through the channel in addition to the whoopies. I have done the latter, and it works without problems. It's more flexible as well. Each part can be exchanged easily.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    But hardware like Dutch Whoopie Hooks have a similar turn radius and seem to work fine(?)...
    But the hardware doesn't compress or distort (to any significant degree here), so no decreasing radius for roughly 50% of the equation.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    But the hardware doesn't compress or distort (to any significant degree here), so no decreasing radius for roughly 50% of the equation.
    Whoopie hooks also have a bevel on each side to maintain a preset turn radius of the CL. It's totally different then the compression of amsteel on amsteel. The other thing you could do is replace the CL with a CL made of a solid cor rope.

I'm still searching for the perfect solution, but I knew that I did not want to carry carabiners anymore. I now have CL's which, when possible, I use with a Beckett hitch with my straps. For small to mid-sized trees 13-14' apart, this works pretty well. If the trees start getting further apart or if they are large trees, then I need my whoopies which I attach to the CL's using soft shackles. I tried a larkshead once, and it was a major pain to get undone. Soft shackles aren't as user-friendly as a carabiner, but they're not that bad, either.

The absolute worst is finding a great spot, but the straps are too short for a Beckett hitch and adding soft shackes + whoopies is a bit too long. Rare case, but happened last weekend.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast