new hammock user, but on my second hennesey

I bought a deep jungle XL zip last spring. Used it probably 10-12 nights. Took me awhile to get the hang of setting it up properly. Anyways, the last time I had it out the ridge line snapped. No idea why or how, but it did. I sent it back to Hennesy and they said they'd send me a new one, but I noticed the Jungle Safari XL zip was actually a bit bigger and higher weight capacity. So I got that model in exchange. I'm 6'1", but Im around 290lbs. So I wanted the higher weight capacity. I also found the deep jungle squeezed my shoulders sometimes, I'm hoping the wider safaria will be better.

I haven't used the Safari yet, but hopefully this coming weekend.

Does anyone have the Jungle Safari XL? Is it noticably wider? What's the hex tarp like? Bigger than the deep jungle?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have an older Safari. Same size but just one layer. It's one of my most comfortable hammocks, but I wouldn't want to carry it because it's so heavy...

The Safari hammock body is not very wide, but it's long (probably about 11.5') and has a lot of sag. It never felt too narrow to me, but I'm only 5'4". I think the reason why many HHs feels so narrow is the way the net is cut. You cannot lie close to it, therefore you lose even more width of a hammock that is already fairly narrow. I also had the impression that HHs are on the short side. I have had the opportunity to lie in a 10' and an 11' model, and both seemed tiny in comparison with my 10' Warbonnet Blackbird (which is also shorter than advertised). The Safari is the only HH model that I would be willing to use for more than one night. It's a pity that they don't offer a 1.1oz double layer Safari, because that might bring the weight down enough to make it bearable for hiking.

Hammock
    Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    I have the Safari xl zip.Im 6'0" 275 and have plenty of shoulder room in it. The hex fly has plenty of coverage.It is my first hammock but I think I made the right choice for my size.I use a beach pad(it's like a car shade but with fabric on one side) between the bottom layers and it seems to help keep it spread out more.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Try hanging your HH with a little bit of a sag - it will tighten up when you get in it. I am assuming you hung your last one with a tight ridgeline and this could cause the ridgeline to snap.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hey thanks for the replies.

I did always hand my HH with a sag. Like I said, no one seems to be able to explain the ridge line snapping. When it snapped, I was camping with a guy who has been hammock camping with HH's for over 5 years and he couldn't figure it out either.

I'm not really concerned about weight of the hammock. I'm generally camping out of a truck, boat or ATV.

I just picked up some key chain globe lights off amazon. Hope to use them to hang off the ridge line to be able to read at night

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    For a ridgeline to snap, there needs to be quite a bit of force on it. So either you hung the hammock too shallow, or the ridgeline got tangled up somehow so that it was shorter than usual. The only other reason I could think of would be trees bent by the wind. For example if you hang from one large diameter tree and one small diameter tree, the wind might bend the thin tree away from the big tree and put more force on the ridgeline than intended.

Finally got my safaria XL jungle zip out.

It's noticeably bigger inside. I mostly notice the increased width.

The end hanging ropes are about twice as thick. I feel like there was less stretch with these ropes.

The hex tarp is 10x better than the standard tarp. I got rained on with the hex fly and its much better. I could put my gear under the tarp and it stayed dry.

For big guys it's deffinitly the way to go.

• + New Posts