Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    The best way to tell before hand if this length will work for you is to whip a longer no net hammock down to 102.5" and try it out for a few consecutive nights. Sure, it's not exactly the same but as close as you're likely to get without the real thing.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    The head up or feet up vs flat lay is simply how you hang it on a tree just like any other hammock. Nice thing is that each side has their own suspension so if you want more feet up or a tighter lay than the other person you can.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    The best way to tell before hand if this length will work for you is to whip a longer no net hammock down to 102.5" and try it out for a few consecutive nights. Sure, it's not exactly the same but as close as you're likely to get without the real thing.
    Yes, I should try it, but they argue their fabric makes it different.
    That's what I was answered by Clark upon asking them if one could compare their hammock's dimensions with other traditional hammocks : "The sturdiness of the bed makes them not stretch a lot so they don't need to be quite so long. Also, because the inside is open, you are not completely restricted to the dimensions of your individual hammock bed (a foot may find itself in the middle area, for example).
    If you are over 1.87 m in height, this hammock may feel too small for you."

I tend to be skeptical with this kind of estimations coming from vendors, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    The head up or feet up vs flat lay is simply how you hang it on a tree just like any other hammock. Nice thing is that each side has their own suspension so if you want more feet up or a tighter lay than the other person you can.
    Can you achieve a flat lay ? How ?
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-23-2017 at 09:35.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Yes, I should try it, but they argue their fabric makes it different.
    That's what I was answered by Clark upon asking them if one could compare their hammock's dimensions with other traditional hammocks : "The sturdiness of the bed makes them not stretch a lot so they don't need to be quite so long. Also, because the inside is open, you are not completely restricted to the dimensions of your individual hammock bed (a foot may find itself in the middle area, for example).
    If you are over 1.87 m in height, this hammock may feel too small for you."

I tend to be skeptical with this kind of estimations coming from vendors, though.
    Yeah, I got pretty much the same thing from them. The two hammocks we whipped down were hexon 1.6 and hexon 2.4. Not so stretchy. In any case, length is length. In perhaps an odd sort of related way, there is an old saying in the power sports industry regarding the ongoing quest for more power: "there is no substitute for cubic inches".

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Yeah, I got pretty much the same thing from them. The two hammocks we whipped down were hexon 1.6 and hexon 2.4. Not so stretchy. In any case, length is length. In perhaps an odd sort of related way, there is an old saying in the power sports industry regarding the ongoing quest for more power: "there is no substitute for cubic inches".
    Sure, there is no substitute for cubic inches, but if you look at a bridge hammock, for example, it is much shorter, and you still get a flat lay.
    Of course, there are no spreader bars here, but this Vertex has a strap connecting it to the other hammocks's suspension. I wonder if this stretches out a little bit the head end, like a spreader bar would do, in some respect.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Bridge vs GE, apples vs oranges.

If you're referring to the cross strap at the head end, it's to prevent exerting too much pressure on the fabric should the head end trees be farther apart than ideal.

With that hammock stretched out flat on the ground, it's 102.5" (8'6") long. No amount of straps, bars or wishful thinking is going to change it. Of course once it's hung, it's considerably shorter yet. 83% = 85.08", just for reference.

You can theorize about it till you're blue in the face, but as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. The ONLY way you're going to know if it's good for you is to try it for a night or two. If no good, send it back pronto in accordance with Clark's policy. I realize this could be an expensive and not-so-practical solution for you, which is why I suggested whipping a GE to the same length. It's the only other way I can think of to simulate what you might experience with the vertex. Who knows, you could be as happy as a clam. Many are.

For me personally, I'll wait for them to come out with an 11 footer. In any case, I wouldn't backpack with it, the double-v maybe, but not the vertex. I'd reserve the vertex for home and car camping only. Too heavy and bulky for me to carry.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Yes, you are right, but I never whipped a hammock, so doing it in the middle of my BBXLC might be risky. It might leave some traces on the fabric.

Seeing the figures of the 83% make it seem extremely small.

If they are at 8'6", they will never get to 11'.

I didn't even know you could make a gathered end that small for an adult, so I am surprised Derek or other people who tested it do not say that it is way too small. That is why I started imagining there might be a trick in the suspension somewhere.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-23-2017 at 18:34.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    this is just from watching 5749815784395 vids, but the interior of the clarks don't particularly look like regular gathered ends, so I'm not sure they're simply just rectangles of fabric, gathered at the ends

it looks like there's a differential cut to them, so even tho they're 9ish feet long, they're the full width most of the way

the best example I can think of is a youtube vid titled something along the line of "most comfortable hammock sleep system" and he's demonstrating his nemo pad, and it sits in there flush and flat, completely unlike how most pads sit in a normal gathered end

it might also just be wishful thinking on my part, but imo you almost have to sleep in one to make the decision

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    this is just from watching 5749815784395 vids, but the interior of the clarks don't particularly look like regular gathered ends, so I'm not sure they're simply just rectangles of fabric, gathered at the ends

it looks like there's a differential cut to them, so even tho they're 9ish feet long, they're the full width most of the way

the best example I can think of is a youtube vid titled something along the line of "most comfortable hammock sleep system" and he's demonstrating his nemo pad, and it sits in there flush and flat, completely unlike how most pads sit in a normal gathered end

it might also just be wishful thinking on my part, but imo you almost have to sleep in one to make the decision
    Sadly, he doesn't sit on his "most comfortable hammock sleep system in the world" to see what happens, but right, there is something special about these hammocks compared to traditional gathered ends, I am not totally hallucinating. In the case of this guy, it is the tent poles at each end of his hammock, I believe, which flatten it, but the Vertex has one big tent pole for two integrated hammocks, so it is something else again...

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ 12' Winter Dre
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetle B

Perfect hang height?

Im about to buy the vertex and take it to a music festival...im building a modified "spurtle"? Stand...i need to know what the perfect hang height would be on a perfect tree set-up i.e the 2 heads 5 ft apart and the foot 12 feet away...i plan on using a tarp and net system on the top of the stand so im hoping i can have the suspension hung at 5 to 6 feet off the ground...im suoer new to this hammock thing always been on the ground...tyia mule714

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast