Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    The mention of a good UQ and TQ as the foundation for a warm night's sleep is spot on.

Just an old Scoutmaster's 2 cents here, but maybe you can encourage an adult leader in your troop to promote the Hammock Camping Merit badge. It's unofficial, does not count towards anything but the development of you and those who participate in in and is a ton of fun. I was able to secure a lot of discounts on the materials needed to make the gear when we promoted it in our troop to the point we could offer the course for a lab fee of $25. That included whoopie slings, tree straps with toggles and a nice UQ. The youth made their own gear along with the help of a parent or other family member so they have their own investment in the gear which they take really good care of. They also learned or developed a life skill.

Having the adult leadership promote it within the troop might enable you and your fellow scouts a great opportunity.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    I have a Hennessy and have used the Jarbidge River UQ. It isn't "made" for the HH, but it can be made to work. It doesn't have any loops to secure it to the side pull-outs on the HH, so it MAY be a bit fiddly to get right. That said, I've got a Super Shelter as well and have the exact same complaints about using it; fiddly. FWIW, I use the HH with SS down to about 50*F; that's my summer-insect rig. When it goes below that or the bugs aren't bad, I pull out the netless Dutch with Jarbidge River UQ and White Cloud TQ. But it is most certainly possible to use a non-Hennessy-specific UQ with a Hennessy.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have both the SuperShelter and an Underquilt for my Hennessy Ultralight Asym Hammock. I'd say that the SuperShelter is a great value for the cost, but to get into the colder temps you definitely have to supplement. I use it by itself down to around 40F, then with a pad to maybe around 30, but under that I'm actually going to be putting a jacket, down blanket (like the $15 costco down quilt) or other insulation inside of the supershelter. The reflective blanket or pad certainly suffers from moisture issues, which I don't really like so I prefer to use the SS during the "shoulder seasons".
    That being said, while more expensive an Underquilt can do a lot more to get you comfortably down to lower temperatures. I use a 20F underquilt, and can supplement with a down jacket. I sometimes also use the pad from my backpack just for my butt to keep that part of me warm.
    Last edited by captaincoupal; 03-17-2017 at 15:56.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Echoing what several others have said :

I've got a Hennessy and have tried pads, poncho liners, super shelter and lately under quilt. The SS worked for me down to the upper 20s with a 20 degree bag and poncho liner used as pod but condensation on the space blanket is an issue.

The under quilt is superior in my limited experience so far. Set up is more fiddly and you will do it wrong until you do it again and again and get it right.

My Jarbidge works well though I've not tried it on the Hennessy. I believe it would fit better if you don't use the hammock's side pull outs, but that is speculation on my part.

If you use pads, Google segmented pad extender. It makes a world of difference.
    My HHSS is good to upper 20s with the space blanket.

I had success with the hhss and it blocks the wind. However I now hang with an UQ-- totally the way to go.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deluxe Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    1/2"Foam,want KAQ
    Suspension
    TreeStraps,HH Rope

Went camping and got cold, how do I fix this?

I have been doing some research and have decided to go with the JarBridge but not sure what season is the 4 season worth the extra $ and how much more bulky is it compared to the 3 season?

Thank you for all of the responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    40%. The 3 season is built with 6oz per yard insulation, the 4 season with 10oz per yard insulation. 4 season is dedicated winter level insulation...you will most likely not want that level for 3 season or summer level weather.....take a look at the temperature ratings chart on the KAQ page of the store and base around the temp chart relative to your main hiking use.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyScoutAustyn View Post
    I recently went camping near Mt. Rainier and it had lots of snow. It got down to 28*F one night and I had to layer up with more clothing. I would like to not have to wear so much clothing at night how can I stay warmer?

I currently use a Featherlite zero-degree mummy sleeping bag with about a 1/2 inch of closed foam. I have the HH Deluxe Explorer with Hex Rain Fly. I have read about many solutions just not sure which would benefit me for my situation. I take my hammock backpacking sometimes, so is looking for a light yet effective solution but also affordable.

Should I try the HH Super Shelter? Invest in an Underquilt? Overquilt? etc.

Thank you for any feedback that you can give!

Edit: I was cold all over. No specific area.
    A short term fix or a cheap solution is what I am currently doing. There is a product called Reflectix - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-3...5-ft-L/1014123
    I took a standard army surplus wool blanket and I sandwhiched the bubble reflectix in between as a home made pad. I have had this set up in temps down to 20 degrees with minimal issues of getting cold with a zero degree mummy bag used as a top quilt.
    Hope this helps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    I have both the SuperShelter and an Underquilt for my Hennessy Ultralight Asym Hammock. I'd say that the SuperShelter is a great value for the cost, but to get into the colder temps you definitely have to supplement. I use it by itself down to around 40F, then with a pad to maybe around 30, but under that I'm actually going to be putting a jacket, down blanket (like the $15 costco down quilt) or other insulation inside of the supershelter. The reflective blanket or pad certainly suffers from moisture issues, which I don't really like so I prefer to use the SS during the "shoulder seasons".
    That being said, while more expensive an Underquilt can do a lot more to get you comfortably down to lower temperatures. I use a 20F underquilt, and can supplement with a down jacket. I sometimes also use the pad from my backpack just for my butt to keep that part of me warm.
    I use a HH with the SuperShelter and find this to be my experience as well. SS is light (16 Oz) but bulky (I roll hammock/TQ/sleep clothing inside the SS and tie outside my pack). I find using the Jarbridge alone on the HH loses about 10F from its temp rating due to gaps but make excellent added insulation to the SS.
    Temp ranges for me:
    SS alone - down to 40F and fits like a glove = blocks wind nicely
    Jarbridge alone and not using tieouts - down to 35F
    SS and Gossamer gear pad - down to about 30F
    SS and 3 season Jarbridge - I was warm at 15F which is the lowest I've camped.
    FYI - The SS goes on sale for $100 in the off season. The Jarbridge goes on sale for $80 often.

I don't use down here due to humidity and summer showers (and I'm a cheapskate).
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-14-2017 at 14:22.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deluxe Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    1/2"Foam,want KAQ
    Suspension
    TreeStraps,HH Rope
    Well after talking to some local hammockers and saving up for the Jarbridge, I changed my mind again. I am leaning towards the Potomac and I'm thinking of going with the 3 season. How accurate is Arrowheads temperature diagrams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Take a peek at this video I made after my First outing. I was camped at 11,500 feet right at tree line. I brought a zero degree mummy bag for my top insulation and the bottom was just a standard wool army blanket with the reflectix sandwhiched inbetween the blanket. I was warm all night with no issues. Invest in a tarp ($100 or so) - army blanket would only cost around $30 and the roll of reflectix is only going to run you $20 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koglj-QlaOU&t=10s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast