Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up OneTigris 4 season budget UQ first impressions/pics

OK, so the sloooow boat from China arrived with one of my budget UQ's. I decided to go with the OneTigris "winter" UQ. Right off the bat I was pretty impressed. It came in a nice compression sack made from 1.1 olive green rip-stop, that was uncompressed and fairly thick. Taking it out I noticed its outer shell is a 20d dwr rip-stop nylon in dark olive green and the inner is a softer 10d nylon in dark gray. It measures 96" long × 23" deep in the middle. As far as suspension goes, it has a small length of shock cord on each end that goes through the tab on each side and then to your hammock's suspension. It isn't shaped like a standard synthetic or down UQ, but is comprised of 2 pieces sewn together along the bottom. I don't care much for the large logo on the side, but that can be removed fairly easily I'd imagine. As far as thickness and type of insulation go, its made from their SEE™ insulation technology that is a polyester type batting from what I can tell and is fairly thick at about 2.5" -3" and weighs 320g/m2. OneTigris claims a temp rating between 10° - 20° F. Just by looking at the thickness of the quilt, I'd venture to say that its pretty well spot on give or take. Obviously many factors come into play there, but I think the rating they give is pretty much accurate. I'll hang it this afternoon and do a video review. But for now here are a few pics....

IMG_20170309_114215_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_114221_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_114335_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_114353_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_114926_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_114947_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_115112_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_115336_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_115459_hdr.jpg

***UPDATE**** SEE MY POST ON PAGE 2, I JUST DID 17° WITH THIS THING!!!
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 03-11-2017 at 07:56.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's part 1 of the video review, enjoy. Let me know what you think please!

https://youtu.be/t3hnV2ARkbo
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's part 2... Basically the rest of the review. It turned off on me for some reason while I was filming. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/g8D7BOTrLlU

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    That is a curious aquatic looking creature. With a forked tail.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's part 3 of the review, me actually using it and my first impressions of how it fits with a body in it. The 4th and final part will be after I use it tonight. The temp will be somewhere between 20° and 38° lol with a possibility of some wintery precip early tommorow morning. So its a great night to test some synthetic insulation! I'll post my vid here sometime tomorrow. Wish me luck! ~ Chesapeake

https://youtu.be/NmC2Xmu0SKw

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    That is a curious aquatic looking creature. With a forked tail.
    It is pretty weird isn't it? And small. Definetly not as nice as a cottage made or DIY UQ. But for someone looking for a budget UQ for some light winter hanging, I think it would work just fine. I'm spoiled with my Incubator and other full size down and synthetic quilts but I tried to stay as impartial as I could. Its hard though when your used to all that downy goodness! But for someone who doesn't know any better, itll be just fine.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    THE RESULTS :

I'm impressed, although the temp only got down to around 35° last night. I did end up with a slightly cool spot under my butt, however I think that was a result of the suspension not being tight enough and not a lack of addiquite insulation. It was difficult to get it hung properly on my 11' hammock with its length being only 9'5". But I'd imagine the most people who would buy this UQ would more than likely have a shorter hammock as well and it would be an issue at all at that point. Using the RL quilt hooks did keep it from slipping off my feet and shoulder for the most part, and when I woke up my shoulder was squarely on top of it. Using the UQP kept my pillow and TQ from sliding out and helped to keep the side of my shoulder warm. I definetly think it needs to be wider and have a suspension like a HG or other quilt that uses a large shock cord loop. The design prevents this though unless you modified it yourself with channels that span the length of the quilt.

Overall I'd say that this quilt while it has a few glaring negatives, the low cost and thickness make up for it and make this UQ a good option in the low cost/ budget UQ market. I'll always feel that a US made cottage vendors quilt is light years better, but not everyone needs a quilt like that. I think if your new to hammocks or just want a quilt to use at home or every once and a while for light camping, than this quilt is a good option. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is going to do a lot of hiking or serious hanging. But to get you out between 2 trees untill you have enough saved to buy a cottage vendors quilt, its perfect. A lot of people say buy once, cry once, but I'd rather someone just get out there and hang. As long as the gear you buy first isn't cheap, just inexpensive, I think that its fine to go that route. So, the ONETIGRIS winter UQ I feel is a great budget UQ and will get/keep you hanging down to temps that normally would only be attainable with a down UQ.

IMG_20170309_172739.jpgIMG_20170309_172546_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_171920_hdr.jpgIMG_20170309_160407_hdr.jpg

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Are you getting any snow? It is like a blizzard here now.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    It started about 8 this morning and stopped about an hour ago. No accumulation though and what was out there is gone already unfortunately. What a crappy winter! Its been entirely too warm and zero snow. Next Tues night though we might actually get some! Hopefully! Tonight is going to be 20° so I can test the lower limit of this UQ. So far though I'm pretty impressed!! Definetly worth the $50! Just wish it was longer, wider and had a better suspension. But it works.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Low price and a few fitment issues aside I'm glad to see it is doing a good solid job. That could help a lot of new hangers get past one of the hardest hurdles; fixing cbs on a budget without resorting to pass!
    I was going to order one myself but scraped for an incubator. Still, I have the Tigris bookmarked and maybe if I get one we can conspire on a quick/simple suspension upgrade to help the new hangers?
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast