Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yep...you definitely need to increase the top tension. As you have it, the bottom thread could be pulled out with ease.

tension-solution-598x380.jpg

As to the "crooked stitches", that's just the nature of heavy threads combined with thin fabrics... http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/medi...20Stitches.pdf

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, your thread tension definitely needs to be adjusted. I'm not sure I understood you correctly: does the upper part of your picture show the side facing up or down?

If it is the side facing down, you simply need to increase the upper thread tension. Most sewing machines have a wheel with numbers printed on. The higher the number, the higher the tension. The thread coming from above is pushed through the fabric by the needle, but it's not pulled back up strongly enough to pull the thread coming from below. Ideally, the threads should meet right in the middle of the fabric. With the tension perfectly adjusted, if you were to use a yellow thread coming from above and a blue thread coming from below, you would only see a yellow seam on the top side and a blue seam on the underside. In reality, with thinner fabrics and few layers, you will always see bits of the other thread - but you should see the same amount of thread on both sides. So if you see mostly yellow thread on the top side, with little dots of blue thread between stitches, you should see mostly blue thread with little dots of yellow thread on the underside. Actually, using two different thread colors helps a lot with adjusting thread tension. But you need to use the same type of thread (Mara 70) and the same fabric with the same amount of layers. Thin fabrics and/or few layers don't need much thread tension. The more fabric, the higher the tension will have to be. I found that I need less tension to sew the seams than I need to sew the channels, because there are more layers for the channels.

If the upper part of your picture shows the side facing up, you might have to adjust the bobbin tension. That can be a bit tricky, and it's usually suggested that you leave the bobbin tension alone. But the Mara 70 is a very big thread, and I had to decrease the bobbin tension. Otherwise I would have needed to jack up the upper tension so much, that my fabric would crumple. Try to fix it with the upper tension first, and if you need to touch the bobbin tension, mark the setting of the little screw so that you can always go back to the original setting.

Senior Member ChucksOrangeDream's Avatar
    Hammock
    HickoryNut Hammocks
    Tarp
    Winter Dream by UG
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Hey. Get that doggone thing fixed. You gotta make some hammocks son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    Yea my Pfaff 130 will spoil you, it sews very nice. Just picked this one up and wasn't sure why it was so straight on bottom and a slight saw blade on top. Thanks for all your help.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Top looks pretty similar to our Kenmore. Also agree to increase top tension.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies

Crooked stitches

It sews pretty good and I only gave $5 for it with a cabinet.

Last edited by Ospreydog; 03-07-2017 at 19:21.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    I have a similar Kenmore and have found that if I increase the top tension way up, I get a better stitch on both sides. Especially while sewing the lightweight fabrics.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12