Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use a 20F bag with a fleece blanket inside it for the temp range you are expecting. Below about 25F I get in the bag, hood on and draft collars cinched up. I put my zipped up jacket over my feet. Hat and wool socks are a must for me.

Blocking the wind/drafts gets more important the colder the temps get.

If you'll have a campfire - using a hot water bottle is a luxury I look forward to on cold nights.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-03-2017 at 12:31.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

When I use the hand warmers, I don't toss them around. I want them near my core so I tuck them under my waistband to get maximum effect.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jharpphoto View Post
    I'm headed out this weekend for 2 nights. Temps are expected to drop to 23 degrees. I have a Wiggy's 25 degree bag and a Warbonnet outdoors yeti under quilt also a 20 degree rating. I'm a warm sleeper so with the addition of some hand warmers thrown into the sleeping bag will my 20 degree bag be "enough" to stay comfortable? I made a mistake in the thread title, My sleeping bag is actually a 25 degree bag.
    Go to sleep warm and fed and hydrated and dressed right and you should be good to go.
    Have right good fun.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas918 View Post
    I'm sure this was meant in jest, but alcohol actually has the opposite effect of keeping you warm. Just thought this disclaimer should be put out there.
    Well yes, alcohol does not in fact make you warmer and if you ingest too much of it, it can cause you to sweat profusely, which will in turn make you actually cooler. however having a couple drinks makes you feel warmer by dilating your blood vessels and allowing for more blood to move towards your skin surface. which is why it can be dangerous in cold weather as you really don't realize you are in fact getting cold and can lead to hypothermia. But as far as a shot goes before bedtime it can make you feel warmer as you go to sleep and as long as you're properly insulated there is no danger. It also contains a lot of calories .However I do not suggest you should get drunk and go running naked through the snow;<)
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

holy crap was I underprepared. Taking my Warbonnet yeti UQ on its maiden voyage last weekend, I thought I would be right on the edge of comfort with the weather predicted. Boy was I wrong. Temps dipped to 22 with 15 mph winds. I had my Wiggy's 25 degree bag, WB 20 degree UQ, 4 hand warmers and I was fully dressed and I froze my *** off. I guess the good news is I found exactly where the limits of that gear lie. The second night of the trip the temps dipped to 30 with 5 mph winds and I was completely warm and comfortable. I knew I was pushing it the first night so that won't happen again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jharpphoto View Post
    holy crap was I underprepared. Taking my Warbonnet yeti UQ on its maiden voyage last weekend, I thought I would be right on the edge of comfort with the weather predicted. Boy was I wrong. Temps dipped to 22 with 15 mph winds. I had my Wiggy's 25 degree bag, WB 20 degree UQ, 4 hand warmers and I was fully dressed and I froze my *** off. I guess the good news is I found exactly where the limits of that gear lie. The second night of the trip the temps dipped to 30 with 5 mph winds and I was completely warm and comfortable. I knew I was pushing it the first night so that won't happen again.
    The +10° rule - rules again! Especially when using a short quilt.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Did you have anything to block the wind? Wind chill can be a killer, especially if your pushing the limits of your gear.

I had my WB mambajamba tarp pulled down TIGHT.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    ...having a couple drinks makes you feel warmer by dilating your blood vessels and allowing for more blood to move towards your skin surface...
    ...It also contains a lot of calories .However I do not suggest you should get drunk and go running naked through the snow;<)
    Good points. Insulation needs body heat to work more efficiently, so agreed, a little nip could help significantly. I don't get your last point, though?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    The question is, where were you cold? Backside, feet, or everywhere?

If your underside was cold it could be the UQ wasn't snagged up right making a gap, this happens to me all the time.

If it's your feet, maybe a foot pad and better socks.

If it's everywhere, you may just be a cold sleeper. If that's the case, I'd say to use a 20 degree UQ in temps no lower than 30.

Something that can really help in lower temps is a hammock sock. Might be worth looking into.

Every day is a good day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12