Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Backpacking blind date... sorta...

So I just kind of went on a blind date backpacking. Well, let me explain.

My wife showed me a Facebook video of her high school friend, a guy backpacking with a hammock. She said I should write him and make plans, since I sometimes have a hard time finding someone who shares my love of cold weather backpacking.

This was months ago, and finally we both had time off, and decided to meet up. He lives a few hours south of me, and a good halfway point is the Loyalsock Trail. We'd both been there before so it was an easy meet up point.

We decided to start at the eastern most point of the trail, hike a few miles in to check out the Haystacks Rapids, find a camp spot, and hike out.

The hike could have been a disaster. The weather was a grey area between freezing and not freezing, so there was wet snow, and lots of mud everywhere. We had to cross many streams thay normally are never there, due to snow melt. I was wearing new, not broken in boots, and he was wearing muck boots (to combat the conditions). Fortunately both our footwear selection worked out well, as both choices were completely waterproof, and we spent most the day walking in a few inches of water, or at least wet snow.

The start of the trail was, as typical for the Loyalsock, very rough and somewhat challenging, but very scenic. This met up with an old railroad grade, and the rest of our hike followed that mostly. We took a detour off the railroad grade to continue down to the Haystacks rapids.

I had been to the haystacks Rapids as a kid, but that was 20 years ago at least. They are a unique rock formation that's found nowhere else in the country. It's not known why, or how that formation got there. They are large, hard mounds of rock that stick up from the creek, making piles that look like old "haystacks" in a field. The area was big into logging many years ago, and the creek they are in was used to float logs down. The haystacks made a back up that piled logs up 3 stories high. Loggers tried to dynamite the rock, but they survived due to their unqiue hardness and composition.

We backtracked some, then continued a few miles to find a nice camp site. Our trip at that point had been a mix of the Loyalsock Trail, the Red X trail, and Haystacks Trail... which all run together and branch off each other.

He is a summer hammock camper, but just doesn't have the right gear for very cold weather, so he had his one man tent. Despite everything being extremely wet we managed a very nice fire, and enjoyed some surprisingly good Tito's Vodka, and some Knob Creek Bourbon. I don't like vodka at all, but Tito surprised me. Pretty soon Tito became our friend, and Tito convinced me vodka isn't so bad. Thanks Tito.

Low was only 26 degrees, but the wind made it feel much colder. I slept nice and warm in my JRB Sierra Sniveler and Mt Washington 3, I paired that with my DIY GOMHAQS top sock system. My thermometer read 26 outside, and 58 degrees inside the sock. I was nice and toasty, but my buddy didn't fare as well. He had climbed in his MSS and somehow his feet were not inside both layers, so he woke hours later with ice cold feet. I think our buddy Tito was partly to blame. Tito also had made his hike out a little harder, since him and Tito had spent a little more time together than he would have liked. Due to our lax schedule, and needing to start another fire to war up, we weren't even headed out until noon. We had slept in until 10, which was awesome since I rarely get to sleep in.

My "blind date" ended up being a really great hiking buddy, and we shared a lot of common interests (besides long walks on the beach, poetry, and pictures of unicorns). Coincidently, we both:

-got married a day apart from each other
    -to girls from the same home town
    -both went to Lake Erie for our 1 year anniversary
    -both had a daughter last year
    -both named our daughter the same first name

After a while the coincidences just made us laugh. Overall we both had a great time. We kept out miles low, so we only did maybe 4 miles each day. We were both out there just to relax, see some of the trail, and hang out. With the slick conditions, we were happy to take more of a stroll than to run a marathon. We had lots to talk about, between politics (something we both like and agree on) football, backpacking gear, and our mutual love of crawfish boils, so it was alright to spend more time BSing than just hiking.

So overall the trip was awesome, a great trail that we both really want to see more of this summer. Plus, I made a new friend that isn't afraid to camp when the weather gets cold. Next time, maybe just leave our friend Tito at home.
    Last edited by Speedogomer; 01-31-2017 at 22:45.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Sounds like a nice time. A nice walk in the woods is lovely. The water fall is pretty.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Excellent report. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    thanks for taking me along. I'm from Towanda and I was getting a little homesick looking at your pics...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Great report! Thanks for sharing about the area, history, trail, gear and conditions...and lots of photos.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good report! Glad you made a new friend for the trail ahead. Looks like a nice relaxing weekend with not much stress and lots of time to lollygag around the hang sites (my favorite too).

Now that's the model for what a great trip report includes : photos, humor, and details to make the reader envious. Sounds like a wonderful bromance.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Well you could have shared some unicorn pictures!

Great report. You can never have enough good friends, and it sounds like you may have made an addition to your collection. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Great trip report! Sounds like you should keep a big wall between you guys and Tito next time! Lol
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    Sounds like a nice time. A nice walk in the woods is lovely. The water fall is pretty.
    There were several of these falls, unfortunately my camera was having issues and a bunch of the pics didn't turn out well. I had several pics of the haystacks that ended up all blurry and out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    thanks for taking me along. I'm from Towanda and I was getting a little homesick looking at your pics...
    I'm in Towanda now and then, I have to drive through Wyalusing to get to the Loyalsock Trail.

Every day is a good day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast