Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    The problem with joining ropes like that is you tend to be tensioning in a way that puts all of the stress at one point at the end of the loop. The way this is solved when you build kit planes is by using a steel thimble to distribute the stress around the loop, rather than at one spot.

You can do the same thing with a climbing carabiner. I would try tying something like a figure-8 loop on both ends and connecting them with the 'biner.

If you need the length to be variable, you can also pass an end through the 'biner, tension, and then tie a half-hitch with a loop. Then, tie another half-hitch around the cord with the loop.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    ..Use UCR's for the Amsteel. Utility Constrictor Rope. This way, you still have one line and it's always under tension(this helps the constrictor stay in place). It's easy to pull to tighten and loosen to tear down. You can make the constrictor bury twice as long as needed to keep in place and you're not using mechanical hardware that can wear or damage the Amsteel faster.
    I'm going to go this route to avoid line damage from hardware. I was hoping to get bragging rights to having made a cost-effective ultraportable stand, but it's turning out to be embarrassingly expensive, such that I'm having to justify it based on what some people spend for fancy bedframes and mattresses. Damage resulting from hardware fraying through a line will not be cheap to repair. So, playing it safe.

My UCR will differ from the norm in that it will be 2 dogbones, one over 70' long buried in a much shorter one. Looking at Tacblade's YouTube tutorials, I realize I won't be able to do locked brummels on 2 of the 4 fixed loops, since I won't be able to pull through the bury... I suppose I'll just stitch-lock them instead?

Am I the only one who hears "milk the berry" instead of "bury" each time? Mmmm berry milk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12