Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Question Thoughts on WBBB XLC vs Chameleon and other 4 season options

Hi folks,

I'm looking for guidance on where to expand my hammock system to be able to suit 4 seasons and a range of activities after I graduate. I've been comfortable camping this winter in the low 20s having just gotten a HG 20 degree UQ and a WB Superfly. I'm hoping to do a lot of kayaking and backpacking in the next year however and I need to find a jungle hammock option sooner or later. At the same time I want a more comfortable lay than my ENO doublenest, and I like the idea of a winter overcover option.

This makes me think it's about time to get a proper jungle hammock. I've owned a basic Hennessy and I liked it, but I wound up returning it for a few reasons (wasn't a great value considering how small the tarp was, didn't love the fabric, and I was a little too tall for it).

Three options come to mind:
    The best reviewed hammock I've seen with my bugnet/overcover/tall specifications seems to be the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. At 6' and 150lbs, I might be on the small end of what the WBBB XLC is made for however. I'm also concerned that it might weigh a little much.

The next on my mind is the new Dutch Chameleon. It seems slightly lighter than the blackbird but I don't know what to expect comfort wise for someone my height, as only a few people have them. It might also sleep warmer sometimes if the side hooks attach well to my underquilt. Doesn't have a shelf like the WB.

My last option seems to be getting a dutch hammock sans bugnet and grabbing an Argon Vented Sock too. This would be the cheapest option and also lets me use the hammock itself in other settings outside of camping. It also seems pretty light. I'm told Dutch hammocks are quite comfortable.

Of course there are other jungle hammock options, but these are the ones I know the most about. I'd love to hear your opinions on what jungle hammocks worked the best, especially for those with a similar build (6' 150lb). (If Shug or Sintax77 sees this, I think a comparison video between modular or jungle hammocks could be really helpful to a lot of people in my position!)

Do people like their argon socks more than bugnets? Will it be more fumbling compared to a built-in bug net? How have people kept things light for backpacking? What other jungle hammocks are contenders?

Thanks for any input!

Danversport

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I prefer bug nets a lot more than wind shields, mainly for airflow and condensation issues, only high winds do i use a wind shield. A zipped 11ft gathered end is ideal. Look at the snipe wilderness logics, dream hammocks and the ones you already considered.
    Tacblades

I love my WB XLC over my Jungle Safari Zip. Primarily because of the removable bugnet. Really Hennesey? Why not make it removable? >_>. I'm 5/11 and weigh more than you so I don't think you would have any issues with the XLC.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I could agree more with Tacblades. I've tried the "over covers" but found that they retain way too much moisture and moisture is a killer when you need warmth the most. I found that once you get a top/bottom quilt rated at the lowest temp you will be hanging that the need for a top quilt is gone. In my opinion hammock, quilts, and tarp are all one should ever need unless you are hanging in sub zero temps. The beauty of the new Dutch hammock is you can always add the top cover at a later time if needed but the Warbonnet shelf/saddle bag system is what keeps me coming back to my WB gear. I'm only 5'9" and opted to return my Warbonnet BB and get a BBXLC as it is just so much more comfortable even for my short stature.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG / EE
    I like my XLC top cover for anything below freezing. Regarding condensation issues, just keep in mind wind and condensation don't go together. If it's a calm night, I keep it zipped no more than halfway. The top cover being staked out does a great job of keeping the shape but allowing some circulation. Even having it not zipped but staked out is a great compromise between warmth/wind breaking and circulation. If it's windy, it's ok to keep it zipped more since the condensation you get will be greatly reduced by the air movement of the wind.

I love the shelf on the XLC, regardless of the season. I'm usually UL during the 3 seasons outside of winter but when winter comes and I'm in my hammock from 7pm to 7am, the added luxury is well worth the weight to me.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    +1 on the XLC and winter cover. Ive had mine on since I got the cover from another HF member in December and haven't had any condensation issues. My set up is a little different BC the winter cover I have doesn't match the zipper location on the hammock since it came from a different xlc. To get around this I keep the netting on and just toggle the cover to the end of the hammock like you normally would, and then clip it to the shelf and side pull out lines with the netting to secure it and give it shape. This covers 100% of the top of my hammock but since its not zipped on, there is a gap by my head that is just netting so all my breath and moisture in the hammock can escape. I actually like it this way, its just like the vent on the chameleon kinda. I've got to carry the net and cover but its worth it to me.

Last edited by Chesapeake; 01-24-2017 at 12:22.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You cannot go wrong with any of these zippered hammocks being discussed...seriously!

Having said that, I have small preferences. I love my XLC...my wife got a dream Raven for Christmas and I have not slept in it yet (nor has she)...but the construction is wonderful! Dutch's new hammocks I am sure will not disappoint!

The XLC remains my favorite and I remain a "partisan" as far as it being my favorite so far...sleep great in it, the constructions is great, and the shelf in it is what really makes me love love it. ....this is a small thing mind you, but still.

The wooki is in my opinion the freaking most amazing thing that WB has right now...forget hammock buzz these days...this underquilt is the dang bees knees based on my playing with it and sleeping in it so far! It is custom made for the WB hammocks, but it can I think be fairly easy to fit other hammocks...but I have tried it on 2 others and had to do small modification to fit it correct...takes only a bit of variance in length of the hammock to require a tad of adjustment from stock....

I say all this, because the XLC + wooki to me is just an amazing combo.

But again, all these hammocks are fantastic...it makes it so hard for people to choose I am sure...

Dream makes absurdly good looking hammocks, you can pick any color you can find, any fabric, and if it is not listed on his site, randy can do it custom ordered...all is possible...

Good luck in your decision!
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thoughts on WBBB XLC vs Chameleon and other 4 season options

I'm currently facing the same dilemma. I'm slightly leaning towards the chameleon. I'm 5'7 and about 145lbs, so going with the 1.0 hexon could save a couple oz over the blackbird xlc single layer. I'd imagine that the lighter weight would also mean smaller pack size too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Mnt. Wilderness
    Insulation
    Teton Altos pad
    Suspension
    Buckles
    I'm in dilemma town on these as well, with the "warrior" from The Little Shop of Hammocks as i'm Canadian. A hammock is my home for spring for work, but I also travel a lot and lightweight gear is a necessity. I just can't decide.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    don't forget that a simple gathered end hammock plus a "Fronkey" style bottom entry bugnet is a very viable and versatile alternative to zippered in bugnet hammocks. You can get an 11ft Dutch netless in Hexon 1.0 plus full bugnet for $105 at 14.8 ounces. sleep any direction you want, no dedicated head/foot end, no need to unzipper just to adjust your underquilt, etc etc...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast