Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Probably a bit bulky and heavy for a primary backpacking tarp but a cheap way to test out and narrow down the options for a light weight version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Been going double Dutch for about a year now. The spreader bar can come apart if the hammocks are unladen AND it's windy, especially if the tarp is not up first. The bar will separate in the center and fall to the ground. I combat this by putting a small tab of gorilla tape on the joint. When disassembled, stick the tab to the bar near the joint so it's always there. Once the tarp is up this is a non issue, better if it's a winter tarp though. Another earlier technique I've used is a shock cord dogbone from one bar end tip to the other.

Geting in or out is the only time we notice any significant movement. I guess we've just become used to it. Our bar is 30.5", we didn't care for the longer length. We're also smaller than most, so it's not too close for us. Ya kinda need to both lay in the same direction though. We have used 25" but there's considerable shoulder to shoulder pressure.

Just today I set up interior pole mods for our 12x14 SLD Winter Haven. If I have enough distance between trees I like to use dogbones to keep the bar outside the tarp. Of course in nice weather I'd just raise the tarp up higher, if I can reach. For winter use, this tarp is getting staked right to the ground. The "Taj" is not for backpacking, at least not by me.

If trees are close enough that the spreader bar has to go under the tarp, I suggest using really simple spreader bar tarp protectors made from 1/2" foam pipe insulation. This has the added benefit of keeping the bar in the DWH's.

When mounting/unmounting the hammocks, the spreader bar can really tip. I feel better with it outside the tarp if possible. Here, the trees are 19' apart and the hammock straps are about a foot too low because I didn't feel like dragging a ladder out in the rain.

Didn't put up hammocks yet.

Interior with hammocks.

If interested, more images here.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I was using the system this weekend at Hangcon. I think 32 inches is about perfect. Hammocks weren't touching while two people were in. You bumped a little getting in.

I think JRB sells an 11 x 10 tarp that will work ideal.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    Thanks, Sqidmark. That's some very useful info and a really nice looking rig you've got there!
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I think JRB sells an 11 x 10 tarp that will work ideal.
    I just took a look at that on their website. It looks pretty nice in terms of versatility and weight as well. It might be a contender, indeed. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for doing that vid. Showing those angles and how much movement the other person gets is important.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    My wife and I have been tandem hanging using Dutch's Double Hammock Whoopie Hooks (which I've been calling "Double Dutch Hooks" for some time, but who pays attention to me? ) for well over a year now. It's a worthy idea, but we still prefer three trees when we can find them. We have been using an HG Winter Palace, which is fairly wide and very light, but sqidmark has the right idea about using dogbones. Once I had to pull the doors down tight over the bar in a big storm, and we punched a hole in the tarp when one of us got up before the other. (Leukotape makes a great field repair by the way.)

In my humble opinion, this is the tarp you want for a tandem hang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H20iK63FbM
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    My fiancée and I have been using the double Dutch hooks for the past year or so. I have 2 tarps, the larger of the 2 is a Wilderness Logics Bullfrog tarp which is a 12ft rectangular tarp with cat cuts and the 2qZq interior pole mod. We have had trouble finding a setup that keeps the pole tips from rubbing the tarp itself, and still having adequate coverage.

I'm thinking of getting a Kelty Noah's 12 to use with the double setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintax77 View Post
    I just took a look at that on their website. It looks pretty nice in terms of versatility and weight as well. It might be a contender, indeed. Thanks for the heads up.
    You should take a look at the UGQ Rec Tarps in Membrane Silpoly .93 as well. You'll save some weight with it over silnylon.

http://undergroundquilts.com/recttarps/default.html

Hammock
    Dutch 1.0
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    EE/HG
    Suspension
    Spiders for now
    Quote Originally Posted by thanzely View Post
    You should take a look at the UGQ Rec Tarps in Membrane Silpoly .93 as well. You'll save some weight with it over silnylon.

http://undergroundquilts.com/recttarps/default.html
    That UGQ looks pretty nice. Do you think the rectangular would be a smarter buy for Double-Dutching, or would a Winter Dream or similar tarp work well enough? Would be nice to knock out two tarps (double-dutch/winter) in one go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast