Havasu Falls - Hanging?

A friend and I talked about hiking and camping at Havasu falls but this is VERY last minute. We were hoping for an early April trip. We were told by a relative that we are too late in the game to get a spot at the camp ground but this was from a non-hanger. Wondering if a permit is needed to hang? If so are you only allowed to hang in the camp ground? Help educate me please!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Here is the start of the info to read up on: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/havasupai.htm

From there, yes I believe the tribe only allows camping in the campground. Hammocks have been allowed and are very popular with a limited number of trees so pre-reservation with express info that you are hoping to hammock is a must to get a usable spot. I would not just plan to show up and expect to hang without planning ahead. April is going be peak season so there is good likelihood that it's booked up but worth a call to see.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Good advice from Paul. This is at the top of my bucket list and have looked into it extensively. My guess is you're too late to get a reservation, but as can happen with any reservation, you may get lucky at the last minute - which you're not there yet. Certainly give it a try now, and then later. If you're able to get one, then endeavor to go early the day of as I believe its first come first serve at the campground. From the pics I've seen, there are more trees than there are usable hanging spots, which becomes even more of an issue when you've got tenters squatting in those spots (how rude!!).

p.s. if you go, I'll be completely jealous and will require multiple pics and detailed review from you!!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    One of my all-time favorite places to visit!! Camp ground has trees, many small trees, hanging is possible but it's going to be luck if you get a site with hangable trees. I don't think you can reserve spaces. It's a really cool place to visit and the hike out and up will get your attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rick...

I'm looking for a fairly epic location (obviously) around early April. Looking for about 3-4 days on trail and maybe 15 miles per day average. Any other suggestions? I realize how ridiculously open ended this is but between weather and trail access (permits and what not) I feel at a loss. Yosemite too cold/snowy in April? Anything in the South West that fits the bill that could allow for 2 hangers to find a spot?

Getting the permit needs to be done early. There are a few phone numbers you can call. Just keep trying if the line is busy. I have seen a lot of hammocks up in the air, but the sites are first come first serve. I prefer going in the off season. October is perfect. Still warm enough to swim in cold water, but the party crowd is gone.

Hit me up if you want detailed info. I have hiked there 5 times with different groups.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    My GF and I are thinking the same thing....but the last week of September. How are the crowds then at that time of year? We'd love to be able to hang. But, we're also prepared to go to ground if necessary.
    We're also trying to put together a 3-4 day backpacking trip in Zion NP around that time......but that topic can wait for another post.

As far as I know all the permits for that time are sold out. People around here go crazy when permitting season of Havasu Falls opens and people snatch up permits insanely fast. I'd give the reservation office a call and see what you can find.

To anyone looking to do Havasu falls I would look up when permitting opens next year and call on opening day or book online. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    Thanks for the reply. It wasn't a definite for us. So, maybe next year will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts