Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images

UQ and a pad?

Has anyone used a insulated pad and an UQ? Is there an increase in warmth? I'm looking to make my setup as warm as possible.

Hammock
    Handmade Diy
    Tarp
    Winter tarp diy
    Insulation
    CostcoUQ/TQ clewed
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    I have a dual layer Hammock,I use a pad even in the summer. I usually pick spits on the top of a hillside so even in the hot it gets breezy. I have found that it keeps me from CBS. I always use my pad even in winter. The more trapped air in between the "cold" outside and the "warm" outside, the better. Hope that helps. It really depends on how much weight you want to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I would say it is pointless.
    Here is why, down works best the closer it is to the heat source to trap in that warmth. So if you layer up, or put items in the way it takes longer for the heat to build up in your quilt to stay warm.
    Ok look in from the other side, a good quilt will not need a pad to stay warm, and when I say a good quilt I am thinking the feathered down sort not the grandma Sue's state fair winner.(although I would rock it I love grandma Sue and she's not even my grandma!)
    The Devil's advocate, How many birds you see hanging out at the duct tape plant lining up to score a piece of double sided to pluck it's feathers out to put on the other-side. I never have.
    Now to address the more important issue of staying warm. What are you working with, ie down, synthetic, grandma Sue's quilt? and what kind of pad, what temps are you planning to be out in; the reason I ask is some combinations of things work but it is hard to guess at how to best address your need without taking inventory of the situation to develop a working solution.
    Is a budget solution needed or are we swinging at every pitch here?
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I have a WB Ridgerunner with a zero degree Lynx. I hammock is a double layer, so I was curious if a pad would make it even warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    I would say it is pointless.
    Here is why, down works best the closer it is to the heat source to trap in that warmth. So if you layer up, or put items in the way it takes longer for the heat to build up in your quilt to stay warm.
    Ok look in from the other side, a good quilt will not need a pad to stay warm, and when I say a good quilt I am thinking the feathered down sort not the grandma Sue's state fair winner.(although I would rock it I love grandma Sue and she's not even my grandma!)
    The Devil's advocate, How many birds you see hanging out at the duct tape plant lining up to score a piece of double sided to pluck it's feathers out to put on the other-side. I never have.
    Now to address the more important issue of staying warm. What are you working with, ie down, synthetic, grandma Sue's quilt? and what kind of pad, what temps are you planning to be out in; the reason I ask is some combinations of things work but it is hard to guess at how to best address your need without taking inventory of the situation to develop a working solution.
    Is a budget solution needed or are we swinging at every pitch here?

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post
    I have a WB Ridgerunner with a zero degree Lynx. I hammock is a double layer, so I was curious if a pad would make it even warmer.
    I think No, But, I thinks the only way to really know is to test it out an find out. I am just taking a guess here, but my brain says if it is freezing outside, and a pad makes me sweat, and sweat makes a quilt wet and loose it's ability to work properly. But if you have enough base layers to wick away before it collects in to a pool in the pad you may be ok. It's a fine line. Just like some people get condensation issues in netting, overcover, sock or even tarp.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yes it just like stacking quilts more insulation is more insulation. Just watch for condensation as this is the enemy.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Stack any other quilt into the mix for sure as that works but I would be vary wary of adding a pad into the equation because of condensation...and that may be hit and miss but a hit at -10f lets say could be nasty let alone at 20f.
    If you do wish to try a pad test test test and test again in the backyard to make sure it could work for you but but I think your better off adding a 20-40* UQ into the mix for spring summer fall and for stacking with the 0* for winter if needed to add cushion against CBS.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts