DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Backpacking Denali NP and Kenai Peninsula

I know someone from this great site has backpacked here. We are thinking of a trip this summer or next. Just wanting ideas and tips to get started.

From what I gather in Denali you get a permit for a unit. You have to camp in the unit on the days you have it permitted for. You can travel outside of that unit but must camp in the permitted units. Put together multiple units for a end to end or loop hike, or base camp and day hike to units outside of the unit you are camping in. There are no trails. Just choose a route and go for it. Ride the buses in on the one road and get dropped off. When you are done hiking just head to the road and catch the next bus available.

Is there a guide book available for each unit? I'm having trouble finding information on individual unit info, best units for scenery, wildlife. I've also read that there is no bad hike in Denali. Would love to rent packrafts and try that also.

Also we want to head down the Kenai Peninsula and make a day or two sea kayaking. Visit Kenai Fjords National Park, Seward, Whittier, maybe Homer. Not sure what are the must sees or is everything really good.

This may need to wait until 2018. I would like at least two weeks in Alaska. There is just plenty to do there and I'm trying to get a feel for what is there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    My wife and I are talking about the same type of trip in June. I've got a buddy who lives up in anchorage, I'm going to try and get some information from him. I'll be sure to share any.

Hammock
    Dutch Netted Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Bot Pad, Top Quilt
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    I went in the same areas you are wanting to go to about 5 years ago. Although I didn't do much hiking and camping in the backcountry, I know there are plenty of opportunities to do so. My trip focused around fishing, so if you get the chance to do that, I highly recommend it. No other fishing in the world comes close to Alaska fishing. Homer is a pretty cool place to visit. They have shops and restaurants on the spit that are pretty cool. From the Denali side, I only spent 2 days there and just explored Talkeetna and the surrounding area so can't speak much to it. If you want more details on what I did, just shoot me a PM.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was thinking about a fishing trip. What do you do with the fish? Can you sell it or ship it home. We would love to go for halibut just not sure if we can eat it all.

Did you stay in motels, camp, or rent a cabin. We would like to camp for a few nights. VRBO has some nice cabins for rent. Plenty in the Homer area.

There are several fish processors in Homer that will package and freeze your fish. You can then either take them back home as checked baggage, or the processors can send them to your home via FedEx or similar. Shipping adds up pretty quickly though depending on how many pounds you are sending.
    You are not allowed to sell sport-caught fish, but if you end up with more than you can deal with (a couple 200# halibut for example), you can donate fish to local groups (Food Bank, Women's Shelter etc.).
    Last edited by akford; 01-05-2017 at 13:30.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by akford View Post
    There are several fish processors in Homer that will package and freeze your fish. You can then either take them back home as checked baggage, or the processors can send them to your home via FedEx or similar. Shipping adds up pretty quickly though depending on how many pounds you are sending.
    You are not allowed to sell sport-caught fish, but if you end up with more than you can deal with (a couple 200# halibut for example), you can donate fish to local groups (Food Bank, Women's Shelter etc.).
    Thanks. Good info.

https://m.youtube.com/my_videos

I live in Homer, so if you have any other questions you can PM me.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For Denali, your best bet is Ike Waits book. you can buy it direct from him at denaliguidebook.com

I've only had a hammock for a week, but if you are going to the backcountry in Denali you will want to be able to hang from rocks. Almost all of the units are above the treeline.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Something to consider if you want to camp there. The tent camping sites are walk in registration only. You can't reserve a site. You can only get one when you get there if any are available. A bus drops you off if you chose and picks you up at the end of your trip. It's absolutely breath taking up there. I only did a couple day hikes but man oh man was it amazing!! I'd love to spend a week or more just wandering around the park. Dispersed camping is allowed as well if you're really feeling adventurous. You pick a section and hike through the back country to your destination......completely on your own. THAT would be amazing, but nerve racking at the same time.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    Something to consider if you want to camp there. The tent camping sites are walk in registration only. You can't reserve a site. You can only get one when you get there if any are available. A bus drops you off if you chose and picks you up at the end of your trip. It's absolutely breath taking up there. I only did a couple day hikes but man oh man was it amazing!! I'd love to spend a week or more just wandering around the park. Dispersed camping is allowed as well if you're really feeling adventurous. You pick a section and hike through the back country to your destination......completely on your own. THAT would be amazing, but nerve racking at the same time.
    It's definitely a place I want to explore. I've been reading up on sections to hike in. No campsites is cool. Just navigate where you want.

• + New Posts