Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I did this once. On a hike with my son. Had to pick a set of trees that was close to his tent. Lakeside but it was a stretch. The only time I had my single line suspension with speed hooks slip a little. Very poor angle. But it worked.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I've just used some long chunks of mule tape

it's light, crazy strong, and just attach the CL's to it via beckett hitch

as others have mentioned, used poles to move the loops higher once they're around the tree

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    "First down yardage" and "monkery". That's some good stuff there. ��

Wasn't it Silver Surfer that had pics of a hang with two massive trees that were way far apart? If I remember correctly he stood on a bike seat and still had to use a stick to get his straps high enough.
    Wasn't me - I don't even own a bike!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Wasn't me - I don't even own a bike!
    Too bad. Id like to find that picture. Impressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I must be lazy at tree climbing. I just keep looking until I find the right trees. I'm a little North of you in Canada so I get the tree diameter, but there's always smaller trees up here luckily. I've never had to span a 10 yard gap. I have to bring the extra dogbones for the tree straps but you must be super picky about your site.
    Sometimes it's just the way it is. There are times, not frequent, but occasionally, where I am at or near the treeline, and either hang long or find some nice, soft ground to lay on. Sometimes it's just the challenge of doing it.

EDIT: FWIW I use Dutchware straps and buckles, and get those straps as far up as I can.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Sometimes it's just the way it is. There are times, not frequent, but occasionally, where I am at or near the treeline, and either hang long or find some nice, soft ground to lay on. Sometimes it's just the challenge of doing it.
    Well said, CT.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Around here in the north east, or on my property, there are depressions in the ground. Small ditches or voids where a long ago tree had fallen and decayed away. I can span a good width with 2 15' 1" polyester straps becket hitched on. The problem is these depressions are usually quite wet and muddy.

Tons of dead wood for push sticks. The sugar Maples are fairly smooth barked. Most of my hangs are 6 paces, or around 18 feet.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    More pictures? Here is Hutzelbein's wide hang.
    @hutzelbein tell us more, please!
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Wasn't it Silver Surfer that had pics of a hang with two massive trees that were way far apart? If I remember correctly he stood on a bike seat and still had to use a stick to get his straps high enough.
    That was my hang:

Here's another wide hang:

I have frequently had to hang between trees further apart than I would like, but those two were my widest. So far. In my case, it's the limitations of public camp grounds that is the cause. When bike (1st picture) or car camping (2nd picture), I don't want to hang outside campgrounds because it's not allowed and I can't just hide away with a bike or car.

Over the years I have experimented with my suspension, and I'm not finished, yet. Initially, I used 8' Whoopie Slings and my Warbonnet webbing (12', I believe). I didn't care for the slick straps that came with the Whoopies, and the extra length came in handy a couple of times. Weight and bulk were not much of a problem because I didn't take it hiking.

The way my first Whoopies were designed wasn't ideal: they had a ring and continuous loop spliced into the adjustable eye, which was supposed to attach to the hammock. This meant that with wide hangs, it was difficult to adjust the length because the adjustable end was very high up. Additionally, the Whoopies were a problem in tight spaces, where I had to do this:

That's why I did go back to the Warbonnet cinch buckle suspension, with 15' webbing straps. I also carried 6' Amsteel Dog Bones for emergencies. That's what I used in the 1st picture: I exchanged the WB cinch buckles with the dog bones and larksheaded the cinch buckles to the end of the dog bones and threaded them on the webbing as usual. That worked but I didn't like detaching and reattaching the cinch buckles. It takes quite a bit of time. I wouldn't want to be doing that in bad weather.

Since then, I haven't had a need for an extra long suspension, but for the next tour where I might have to go wide, my plan is this:

12' Dyneema / Polypro straps from Dutch (121g)
    a pair of Dutch Spiders (7g)
    6' Amsteel Whoopie Slings with Dutch Whoopie Hooks spliced in the fixed eye (52g)
    a pair of continuous Amsteel loops for the hammock (4g)
    a pair of Camp Nano 23 climbing biners (46g)

The complete suspension should come in at about 230g / 8.2oz and would allow me to bridge 10 yards. It's very versatile: for normal hangs I can use straps and spiders, which will also allow me to hang in tight spaces. For wide hangs, I simply add the Whoopies. I haven't tested this exact set-up, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. I could save a little bit of weight by switching to Dutch clips, but since I use the webbing to help me climb the trees, I prefer climbing rated biners.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the great photos and detailed account of your experiences, Ms. H. That is very helpful. You new 230-gram backpacking kit is well thought out, and it seems like will be easy to use.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast