Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dominica > Waitukubuli National Trail > 25 Jan-5 Feb - Seeking Tips and Advice

Kalinago-Territory.jpg

I stumbled across the Waitukubuli National Trail (WNT) a few weeks back and have been hooked on researching it ever since. I finally went ahead and booked myself round trip fare to the island nation of Dominica early next year and can't wait to tackle the trail! My plan is to do the WNT over 12 days and hang in my hammock every night. I've never done a through-hike before, so this will be something to check off the bucket list. I'm seeking advice, particularly from those experienced in hammock camping in a tropical/jungle environment.

Hammock related gear I plan to bring:
    -HH Deep Jungle XL
    -HH Asym Silnylon Tarp

I've given myself 12 full hiking days for the 115 mile trail. It adds to the sense of adventure that blogs and other trip reports on doing the complete trail are fairly sparse. That's part of why I am posting here.

Questions I have for anyone who may have advice to share:

1) Do you have any tips to share for through hiking in a Caribbean/ jungle/ tropical environment like the one I'll be tackling?

2) Has anyone done the WNT? Please share any tips/experiences/pictures you have!

3) Do you see any potential issues with my plan of hammock camping this whole trail?

Thanks!!!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That sounds like a most interesting trip.

For one thing I would suggest taking a bigger tarp. If you are going to be camping in jungle and rain forest, you'll appreciate the extra dry space. I would also check to see if hanging a hammock would be possible in all areas of the trail.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    So I've lurked but never posted on this forum, but what a weird coincidence -- I'll be in Dominica from Jan 4 to Jan 24 to hike the same trail (and chill on the beach with whatever days I have leftover). I've been researching it pretty obsessively for a few months and have stumbled across a number of accounts of the trail -- some of which are in French (hooray for Google Translate).

From what I've read, some of the sections of the trail are pretty brutal, with near vertical climbs clinging to roots and such, so the lighter your pack is the better. I'm aiming to keep mine around 15-17 pounds. I've also read that hammocks are definitely the best bet because there's not much level ground for setting up tents. I'm probably bringing my weight weenie micro, nano buginator and WL tadpole.

If you don't have them yet, there are GPS tracks for the whole trail on GPSies (or just google "onerun dominica GPS", should be the first link that pops up). Would definitely bring some form of GPS along because, while it's supposed to be pretty well marked, I think the jungle has a tendency to take over the trail and obscure markers, and most of the accounts I've read have involved getting lost at some point or another.

I'm planning to finish the trail by the 19th or 20th (with a few planned chill days before and after the hike), so maybe I can update here after.

That is if I'm not devoured by a boa constrictor.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Also not sure if you've seen this yet, but I found some of these tips to be helpful: http://www.bahrimages.com/news/TipsF...lery=adventure

Although he used a tent, not a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    For one thing I would suggest taking a bigger tarp. If you are going to be camping in jungle and rain forest, you'll appreciate the extra dry space. I would also check to see if hanging a hammock would be possible in all areas of the trail.
    Thanks Brian. I should have clarified I have HH's larger Asym Silnylon - should be perfect for using how you described, including for use in porch mode and having some room to move around beneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunestunes View Post
    So I've lurked but never posted on this forum, but what a weird coincidence -- I'll be in Dominica from Jan 4 to Jan 24 to hike the same trail (and chill on the beach with whatever days I have leftover). I've been researching it pretty obsessively for a few months and have stumbled across a number of accounts of the trail -- some of which are in French (hooray for Google Translate).

From what I've read, some of the sections of the trail are pretty brutal, with near vertical climbs clinging to roots and such, so the lighter your pack is the better. I'm aiming to keep mine around 15-17 pounds. I've also read that hammocks are definitely the best bet because there's not much level ground for setting up tents. I'm probably bringing my weight weenie micro, nano buginator and WL tadpole.

If you don't have them yet, there are GPS tracks for the whole trail on GPSies (or just google "onerun dominica GPS", should be the first link that pops up). Would definitely bring some form of GPS along because, while it's supposed to be pretty well marked, I think the jungle has a tendency to take over the trail and obscure markers, and most of the accounts I've read have involved getting lost at some point or another.

I'm planning to finish the trail by the 19th or 20th (with a few planned chill days before and after the hike), so maybe I can update here after.

That is if I'm not devoured by a boa constrictor.
    Dune - glad to hear you're doing this! Looks like quite the trail and adventure, huh?! Thanks for the information you shared in your replies. I did come across the website tips you posted and have been leveraging David Bahr's advice thus far. I haven't come across those French webistes (probably ignored them all) - great idea to use Google Translate on them.

Regarding the difficult sections -- glad to hear you've felt the same way about that as I have. I'm frankly quite concerned about the pseudo-climbing sections. I'm fit, but don't have much climbing experience. I'm planning on beginning with Section 8 - apparently one of the most difficult - as it's the nearest to the airport. I'll take David Bahr's advice and hike through 14 - then take a few busses down the west side of the island to pick back up again at Section 1. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra lounge days like you do - I wish I did

For weight - I am envisioning my 3lb pack, 10lbs of food for the first 5 days (~~Sections 8-14, but we'll see), 4-5lbs of clothes, 3-4 lbs tarp & hammock, and another 2-3lbs of misc items including phone and medical needs. As it gets nearer I'll weigh it all out, but that's 25lbs right there. How are you getting by on so much less?

As far as GPS devices go, would you recommended bringing a dedicated GPS device rather than a mobile phone with a dedicated hiking app and GPS tracks downloaded to it?

EDIT: One more question - have you purchased your WNT trail pass yet? It seems the website in which to do so (below) is not functional at the moment.

http://www.waitukubulitrail.com/

EDIT #2: Looks like the website is functioning per usual again :-). I emailed the address stated to inquire about purchasing the 15 day trail pass ahead of time: [email protected]
    Last edited by woodspek; 12-12-2016 at 17:38.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    I thought about starting with 7 or 8 but ultimately decided to ease myself into the hardcore stuff - especially since I've got the extra days. I haven't done any real climbing in years, but I enjoy scrambling and usually find that the added fun/challenge distracts me somewhat from the added effort... so I'm crossing my fingers that that's the case here as well.

As far as weight goes, my pack plus hammock/bugnet/tarp combined come out to about 4.5 pounds. I'm a small person so I only budget about 1.5 pounds of food per day, so my food weight is about 7.5 pounds for sections 1-5 with a cache of the same stored with someone at the end of 5 and a resupply walk into Picard part-way through segment 11. I'm heavy on the extras right now (4 pounds including phone/portable charger, rain gear, sleep pad, medical stuff, etc.), and my clothes are under 2 lbs. So I'm probably closer to 18 pounds or so, realistically.

I've got Gaia on my phone. I've just read one or two accounts of people hiking the trail without any sort of GPS guidance at all, and getting pretty turned around. But I think Gaia or similar on a smartphone, and some way of ensuring the battery doesn't crap out should be fine. At least I hope so.

Filled out some sort of registration form on the website, but haven't purchased the pass yet. Gotta get on that! Though I hear you can buy it at the airport as well.

Since you're wisely giving yourself some extra days on the island (compared to me) I think it's a good move to start on less intensive segments than 7, 8 and 9.

Thanks for sharing your approximate gear weight - it should help me a bit with my planning. Especially clothing. I'll have to check Gaia out. I think I'll bring my phone, a small powerbank (my phone doesn't have removable battery), and a charger and I hope I can occasionally charge at opportune spots along the trail.

I emailed [email protected] to inquire about purchasing a 15 day WNT pass in advance. This was their reply:
    Passes are not available on-line but if you indicate which port of entry you will be utilising we would be happy to direct you to the nearest WNT pass vendor or arrange for and officer to meet with as you arrive. If you haven't arrange accommodation, we may assist you with this also.
    I'm debating asking them to have someone meet me at the airport to sell a pass because I don't want to needlessly incur extra costs, but since I'm on a tight schedule I might have them do that. It sounds like the passes are easy to obtain around the island so if you have some time that doesn't sound like anything you need to plan beforehand.

Also, I think I'm lodging my first evening at Classique Dominica in Marigot since I'll land after dark. $55 USD for the cheapest room, and that seemed to be the most economical rate I could get anywhere!

All-in-all, I gotta say I can't WAIT for this trip. I think we're both in-store for a special experience

Images
    Looking forward to the reports and pictures.

I would think lots of permethrin.
    And a head net.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    I am planning a trip to the tropics at some point and wonder whether you think the humidity will be too high for down quilts?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast