Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Are DQs necessary if the night temperature won't drop much below 70deg F? From what I can gather I don't think it's expected to be less than 68deg F in Dominica hence I'm considering bringing a light pad for backup and a sleeping bag liner only for my over quilt.

Mobile send - typos beware!

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Well I had intended to post here right after finishing the trail but never got around to it. Oops. I'd love to compare experiences though!

I did the whole trail except segment 5, which I skipped to make time for an out-and-back hike to the Boiling Lake from Laudat. I had heard that segment 5 was kind of bleh and involved a lot of walking on roads, and I wanted to make sure I had time to finish. As it turned out that was unnecessary because I finished in 12 days instead of my allotted 14, but I don't really regret the decision -- and I'm definitely glad I made time for the Boiling Lake!

To summarize: saw tons of parrots and massive trees, fell on my butt in the mud about a million times, nearly fell off dirt cliffs a few times, found and ate a bunch of grapefruits, soaked in three different hot springs, learned that "razor grass" is definitely not a misnomer, was devoured by mosquitoes, drank four or five different variations on rum punch, and discovered that nights in the tropics are not as warm as I expected... I had a torso pad, so I was never freezing, but I was rarely as comfortable as I would have liked.

Also, I don't know about you, but I definitely had a few "you've got to be kidding me" moments -- mostly when the trail headed up an 80 degree wall of roots and loose dirt... Good fun though.

Favorite segments: 3, 7, 8 (loved this one), 12, 14
    Segment that made me feel like a crazy person: 9

Quote Originally Posted by dunestunes View Post
    Well I had intended to post here right after finishing the trail but never got around to it. Oops. I'd love to compare experiences though!
    Better than me! I'm 3 months behind even replying to your post, but better late than never, right?
    I did the whole trail except segment 5, which I skipped to make time for an out-and-back hike to the Boiling Lake from Laudat. I had heard that segment 5 was kind of bleh and involved a lot of walking on roads, and I wanted to make sure I had time to finish. As it turned out that was unnecessary because I finished in 12 days instead of my allotted 14, but I don't really regret the decision -- and I'm definitely glad I made time for the Boiling Lake!
    Jealous of the Boiling Lake. I did a day trip to Laudat and took a dip in that river/pool right at the entrance to the Boiling Lake hike, but didn't have time that afternoon to do the hike itself. Pretty neat you did it!
    To summarize: saw tons of parrots and massive trees, fell on my butt in the mud about a million times, nearly fell off dirt cliffs a few times, found and ate a bunch of grapefruits, soaked in three different hot springs, learned that "razor grass" is definitely not a misnomer, was devoured by mosquitoes, drank four or five different variations on rum punch, and discovered that nights in the tropics are not as warm as I expected... I had a torso pad, so I was never freezing, but I was rarely as comfortable as I would have liked.
    I concur with everything you said here, in addition to not just rum punch but I tried a bit of "bush rum"... man I've never had rum that strong before :-). Lots of oranges and less grapefruit for me. Only soaked in 1 hot spring (Soufriere); it was heavenly. Parrots, trees, mosquitos, all the same for me. And same with the coolness at night! I had a Thermarest air pad I slept on between the two fabrics of my hammock, but I woke up quite a few nights a bit uncomfortably cool as well.
    Also, I don't know about you, but I definitely had a few "you've got to be kidding me" moments -- mostly when the trail headed up an 80 degree wall of roots and loose dirt... Good fun though.
    I know what you're saying. More than a few times I threw my hiking poles up the hill/wall ahead of me because I was climbing via roots/trees or there was no way I was getting up at all. Segment 9 had the most of these moments for sure.
    Favorite segments: 3, 7, 8 (loved this one), 12, 14
    Segment that made me feel like a crazy person: 9
    I didn't do 3, 12, or 14 - but I feel similarly about the rest. Had a better of a water shortage when climbing Mosquito Mountain on 8 so that threw me for a loop. And had some serious questions of my preparation/sanity during 9. One twisted ankle on that trail... I'm not sure what I would have done. Went over 24 hours without seeing another human.

I began at Segment 7, spent 4 nights on the trail until peeling off to the west coast into the town of Picard halfway through Segment 11. I made the decision at that point to no longer aim for hiking the whole trail and instead to spend some nights in hotels. I spent the next 5 nights in hotels in Picard and then Roseau and did some other activities like hot springs, day hikes, busing around the island, spending time in Roseau, whale watching, scuba diving, rum "tasting", and my favorite part of all was just talking with Dominicans. I got back on the trail at Emerald Pool (halfway through Segment 5) and did a night on 5 and a night on Segment 6 before getting back to the airport.

I loved this trip. I want to go back pronto. I had an amazing time, I liked the people, I liked the culture, the island was stunningly beautiful, and the weather and food topped it off.

Most unused item I brought: a simple rainjacket shell. Was way too hot to use anytime it poured. However, I brought a pocket umbrella and that saved me from getting completely soaked multiple times.

OH! Last thing. I found some parts of the trail really tough to orient myself and continue on the trail. I had a GPS app for my android phone (Gaia GPS) - and by having downloaded GPX tracks of some people who had done the trail before me I found that to be a huge help 10+ times when I was completely unsure which way the trail continued. A bit scary for me in Section 9 especially :-)

I'll share a few pictures here:

IMG_20170204_172520077.jpgIMG_20170202_101517373_HDR.jpgIMG_20170203_170110880.jpgIMG_20170204_111644379_HDR.jpgIMG_20170128_174812400.jpgIMG_20170126_101206646.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12