Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holes from needle at beginning and end of stitch

Im in the process of making a down karo step quilt. I am working with Argon 90 and i am using gutermann sew all thread with a size 70 needle. Ive noticed that when I first start to make a stitch there is a small hole left by the needle at the very beginning and at the very end. I back stitch both the beginning and the end. It is not so much an issue with the hem, but i am concerned for when it comes time to sew in the baffles. Anyone have any experience with this, any tips? Thanks.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    You're putting holes all along the stitch. You only see the ones at the beginning and end.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Check the tension of your stitches. On some fabric, I stop at the end of the row of stitching, leave rhe needle down and.turn the fabric instead of back stitching. Each thread injector has little quirks, each fabric is a bit different to inject thread on.
    I spend time testing my injector before I start a project to make sure tension, stitch length, thread, needle size are correct. Some fabric needs a bit of help so I learn that from my testing on scraps. Also I find some fabrics leave fine particles behind that necessitates cleaning the feed dogs with canned air.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    You're putting holes all along the stitch. You only see the ones at the beginning and end.

Cheers,
    the Goat

I understand that. Im just concerned if this will be a problem in terms of down leakage and weak areas prone to tearing.

Edit: added quote

The tension appears to be fine. Ill give turning the material a try too.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    With my machine, I do not recall having holes without thread at the beginning...Ill check tonight. But even if there was, I am not sure it would matter much? The last bit of a stitch after you lock it in by back stitching will unlikely be an area that will be in a chamber with down right?....oh wait, right Karo setp...hmm...I see your point...did not think about that at first.

Does this empty hole symptom happen with other fabrics or in all other situations? are you tugging at the fabric or something or are you mostly letting feed dogs do that work?

I am no expert and I plan on seeing if my machine does it, but it does not actually sound "normal" to me....but perhaps a series of such tiny holes will have no issues with leaking down?

Good luck in your build...I will start one myself in a couple weeks...have not ruled out karo step.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    With my machine, I do not recall having holes without thread at the beginning...Ill check tonight. But even if there was, I am not sure it would matter much? The last bit of a stitch after you lock it in by back stitching will unlikely be an area that will be in a chamber with down right?....oh wait, right Karo setp...hmm...I see your point...did not think about that at first.

Does this empty hole symptom happen with other fabrics or in all other situations? are you tugging at the fabric or something or are you mostly letting feed dogs do that work?

I am no expert and I plan on seeing if my machine does it, but it does not actually sound "normal" to me....but perhaps a series of such tiny holes will have no issues with leaking down?

Good luck in your build...I will start one myself in a couple weeks...have not ruled out karo step.
    For clarification, the hole is created after the up stroke on the first stitch. The down stroke (beginning of second stitch) is where I notice it. It does look like the thread from the first stitch is being pulled towards the second in a manner that would stretch out the first hole. Ive tried lowering the tension, but that results in loose stitches. l Im using a Singer 221 from 1951 if that helps. I havent sewn any other material, this is my first project. Im letting the feed dogs do the work, i just keep a little tension on the fabric. Ive already hemmed the outer shell and liner and it looks good.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    so you are close to stuffing the quilt then? I guess at this point it is more a matter of seeing how these holes affect things.....probably not a big deal...with the karo step you can always add more down pretty easy

Be sure and post photos, I want to see the end result if you would be willing to share!
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    so you are close to stuffing the quilt then? I guess at this point it is more a matter of seeing how these holes affect things.....probably not a big deal...with the karo step you can always add more down pretty easy

Be sure and post photos, I want to see the end result if you would be willing to share!
    Not that close. I just hemmed all the seems on the outer shell and liner. Im going to start sewing the baffles tonight. Ill take pictures from here on out and post the finished product once complete.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh I see - so you sewed the hems on the inner and outer shell first then you will sew them together? I would have not thought to do that vs just sewing the two in a hem after sewing in baffles (I may be confused)....

And now I am hijacking the thread - sorry - I'll pm you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast