Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    always changing...
    I like my UQP. It definitely helps to retain heat that would be lost to wind. And on really warm summer nights i can use it by itself, without an UQ, since it still helps to prevent any breezes from making me cold and prevents mosquitos from biting though the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    I have a breatheable UQP that I DIY'd. Makes a huge difference in the dry, windy conditions out here. No condensation and added 5.4oz to my setup.

Due to the same, but with snow lately, I'm trying out a sock just to give a temp buffer for unexpected changes in weather.

Hiking 2-4k in elevation the ounces add up, but the UQP and socks are cheap insurance if the wind really starts howling.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ 0 deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Whoopies
    I use a UQP anytime I'm camping in the snow - I don't know that it adds warmth so much, I use it as cheap insurance against blowing snow.

I have been playing with the question of overcover myself because of condensation. I have a DH Sparrow and a Dutch netless. We took 2 trips to the Whites in the past month - on the first trip I used my Dutch netless with HG Winter Palace. Overnight temps were a bit below zero. Thermostat outside bottomed out at -8°, thermostat on the ridgeline above my head bottomed out at -5°. Second trip I used DH Sparrow with overcover. Overnight temps were a bit above zero - thermostat outside bottomed out at 4°, thermostat on ridgeline above head bottomed out at 19°. I sleep with my head to the right and left the right hand zipper open a bit to let some fresh air in and condensation was totally manageable.

It's worth saying that even with the netless, there was condensation, it was just less of it and it was on the underside of the tarp not the overcover. But the difference in feeling on my face was very noticeable. Also worth saying that I was in 0° quilts for both trips - and comfortable both times - the biggest difference was that with the netless I needed to cover my face, with the overcover I did not.

Granted it's a very small sample size, but an overcover sure seems to make a difference. I imagine a sock would do the same thing although I think it would be less convenient.

EDIT: I should mention that both nights, wind was not an issue.
    Last edited by tmgnewport; 02-10-2017 at 21:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234