Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Well, it hit 18* this morning. But I never made it out last night. AAAARRRGGHHH! Life gets in the way of living sometimes. But, winter has technically not even begun...I'm not worried. I'll be out plenty this season.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Campalot View Post
    Going to Huntington state park in South Carolina to hang with Facebook group from palmetto state hangers . Suppose to be about 27 or so Friday night and about 30 Saturday night . Have a 0 degree underquilt but don't use it unless I'm going to backpack . Like the pad better in the ridge runner .
    Why didn't I know about this? Oh well, still taking care of the wife following surgery, so I wouldn't have been able to anyway. Still contemplating putting my stuff up in the backyard tonight.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    It's good to test your gear. The coldest I've gone is 11 degrees in my yard using my 20 degree Hammock Gear top and bottom quilts. I added the poncho that I always carry in my pack and put it over my hammock ridgeline and left a little opening at the head end. Also used my underquilt protector. Wore a stocking cap and I know I used something to catch the moisture from my breath, but can't remember what right now. I may have used a small piece of fleece on my face, don't remember. I also had a nalgene filled with hot water and wrapped in fleece to use at my feet. I would't say I was toasty, but I was comfortable. These are things I always have with me for winter camping, so this test gave me a lot of confidence to go out in the woods with the gear that I always have with me in cold weather. I figure if we get a sudden temperature drop I'll be ok with what I always carry with me.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I went out on Saturday to test my winter set up with overnight lows in the 20's.

We went to a place I have never been before. I had the wrong name so my phone map kept trying to send me to Suches.

I finally arrived in the afternoon. No one was around because of the cold. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had the entire place to ourselves.

PC.JPG

It was a car camping set up (which I didn't mind) right on the bank of a mountain creek. My winter gear is: HG 20 degree Burrow quilt, JRB Nest, Army poncho-liner quilt, 2QZQ UQ protector and an UGQ Winter Dream tarp. I also brought along my Hennessey ultra light hammock because it fits my Nest under quilt better than with my XLC.

PC1.JPG

I set the tarp in porch mode but kept it low to the ground to help block the wind.

PC3.JPG

I put the poncho-liner inside my Burrow quilt and had zero cold spots. It got down to 23 degrees overnight.

My view from the hammock:

PC2.JPG

John - This is a perfect spot within an hour of Marietta to get away for a quick night. If interested, let me know and I will send you a private message on driving directions.

Carl

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I went out on Saturday to test my winter set up with overnight lows in the 20's.

We went to a place I have never been before. I had the wrong name so my phone map kept trying to send me to Suches.

I finally arrived in the afternoon. No one was around because of the cold. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had the entire place to ourselves.

PC.JPG

It was a car camping set up (which I didn't mind) right on the bank of a mountain creek. My winter gear is: HG 20 degree Burrow quilt, JRB Nest, Army poncho-liner quilt, 2QZQ UQ protector and an UGQ Winter Dream tarp. I also brought along my Hennessey ultra light hammock because it fits my Nest under quilt better than with my XLC.

PC1.JPG

I set the tarp in porch mode but kept it low to the ground to help block the wind.

PC3.JPG

I put the poncho-liner inside my Burrow quilt and had zero cold spots. It got down to 23 degrees overnight.

My view from the hammock:

PC2.JPG

John - This is a perfect spot within an hour of Marietta to get away for a quick night. If interested, let me know and I will send you a private message on driving directions.

Carl
    I'm definitely interested! Looking forward to the 411- thanks Carl!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345