Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Testing limits of 20 degree Wooki and new dog shelter...

Sleeping out in my hammock tonight, testing the limits of my Wooki Under Quilt and testing out Rem's new pup tent! I just finished sewing the permanent stake loops on earlier this evening. It is floored, which should prevent wind from coming through at the bottom. It has a vestibule that isn't floored, but the body of the tent is...like a cocoon. I put a dog pad in there after these photos were taken, so it's a bit more comfy for Rem. I'm planning on making a top quilt to hang inside along the walls to insulate it...but Rem seems fine in it tonight as is...no shivering...looks comfy and relaxed! Just keeping the WIND off makes an enormous difference in how cold a dog gets, I think, at least a large, hardy dog like I have.

Meanwhile, I'm cozy in my hammock! Not a bit chilly! The current temp is 29 F and snow is falling. The "feels like" temp is rated at 20 F.

These pics were taken earlier this evening as I set up. (I'm just testing the gear in my yard tonight. I like to find the limits of my gear before I ever rely on it in the wild!)

(The photo above shows the head end of my WBBB XLC and the pup tent I sewed from a 2.3 yard remnant of 1.9 oz PU coated ATACS-FG ($14) from RipStopByTheRoll. Originally I suspended the pup tent from my hammock's suspension. After field testing I've found it works better to simply run an additional ridgeline just a bit higher than my hammock's ridgeline and suspend the pup tent from that--thus eliminating the sagging that occurs in the tent walls when I load my hammock.).

(Here you can see inside the pup tent. The edges of one side of the fabric are joined and sewn together to form the tent floor, and, more importantly, to seal the tarp tent so that wind can't blow under the sides of the tent. The floor space at the back of the tent looks small in this photo but it is roomy enough for a 100 pound shepherd to comfortably curl up. The open ground that you see is the tent's vestibule. The vestibule is not closed when the weather will be nice--the sides fold back over the back of the tent, thus allowing lots of ventilation and an unobstructed view out for my dog. But, when there is a lot of wind or it is bitterly cold, I can create the vestibule as shown here to give my dog extra weather protection.)

(Looking inside the pup tent.)

(With doors of my WB SuperFly open.)

(With doors of my SuperFly closed in around the pup tent, adding further protection. You can see here, how using my tarp hammock alone would have left my dog exposed to the wind at ground level where he normally sleeps curled up under my hammock. The pup tent provides the wind block for him that my SuperFly provides for me.)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-10-2016 at 10:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Sleeping out in my hammock tonight, testing the limits of my Wooki Under Quilt and testing out Rem's new pup tent! I just finished sewing the permanent stake loops on earlier this evening. It is floored, which should prevent wind from coming through at the bottom. It has a vestibule that isn't floored, but the body of the tent is...like a cocoon. I put a dog pad in there after these photos were taken, so it's a bit more comfy for Rem. I'm planning on making a top quilt to hang inside along the walls to insulate it...but Rem seems fine in it tonight as is...no shivering...looks comfy and relaxed! Just keeping the WIND off makes an enormous difference in how cold a dog gets, I think, at least a large, hardy dog like I have.

Meanwhile, I'm cozy in my hammock! Not a bit chilly! The current temp is 29 F and snow is falling. The "feels like" temp is rated at 20 F.

These pics were taken earlier this evening as I set up. (I'm just testing the gear in my yard tonight. I like to find the limits of my gear before I ever rely on it in the wild!)

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

Oh, fie! Most these pics are misoriented. Don't know why they mess up in the upload from my phone!
    You can mail them to your PC and use paint to rotate them.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You can mail them to your PC and use paint to rotate them.
    My PC has been toast for a year now. I think if I rotate them WRONG on my phone and save them, then re-rotate them RIGHT and re-save them, they'll import in correctly here. It's just a nuisance!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    It's just a nuisance!
    I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure what this happens but I wish the mods would investigate if they haven't already. Let us know how the gear test goes in the morning as well.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure what this happens but I wish the mods would investigate if they haven't already. Let us know how the gear test goes in the morning as well.

Sure will!

Guess I'll finish adding in the rest of my pics here...

(The foot end of my SuperFly with the doors closed and the snow beginning to fly. The pup tent is at the head end.)

I draped a coat my son outgrew over Rem, but he's a hot sleeper and decided he'd rather make it a pillow than a blanket!

The wind has REALLY picked up in the last half hour. The tarp is taking a beating and my hammock is rocking. Rem is sleeping obliviously in his pup tent. The temp has dropped to 27 with a "feels like" rating of 18 degrees. I'm perfectly comfortable...WBBB XLC dl with winter topcover on, 20 degree Wooki UQ, 2QZQ UQP, SuperFly tarp (battened down pretty securely). I'm wearing a few warm layers and using my DIY summer TQ (2.5 Climashield) supplemented with a lap blanket made of 3.5 Climashield and Hyper D. Not a bit of chill anywhere except my toes are a bit cool. I'm fine with that, though...can't stand for them to be hot. Still, I might bolster the footbox of my summer TQ before I rely on it in the wild. I'm just tickled my summer TQ is multi-purposing so nicely! It's SO MUCH more compact than what I was using last winter--even with the extra lap blanket rolled in!

I LOVE this Wookie!!! And my 2QZQ UQP is sweet, too! I'm not worrying about dog oil rubbing off on my Wooki...and I'm not feeling the wind!

11:00 pm update:
    Actual temp is 25 F. The "feels like" temp is 16.
    Humidity 84%. Wind NW mostly 8mph with some fierce gusts off and on.

(Covered Rem back up, doubt he'll put up with it for long, though!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-10-2016 at 10:50.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki XL
    Good luck! I want to test mine in the mid 20s this weekend as well. Hope Rem stays warm too. That's a cool idea there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent via sub etha radio

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by FY01CPO View Post
    Good luck! I want to test mine in the mid 20s this weekend as well. Hope Rem stays warm too. That's a cool idea there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I hope your testing goes well!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

Cool good luck! Can't wait till this weekend so I can do some testing too. Supposed to be low 20°' s here as well and teens with wind. First time I've ever got to hang so low, should be fun!!!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Cool good luck! Can't wait till this weekend so I can do some testing too. Supposed to be low 20°' s here as well and teens with wind. First time I've ever got to hang so low, should be fun!!!

Good luck with your testing this weekend!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Well, the WOOKI passed with flying colors. Woke up to 18 F this morning. Nothing chilly but my feet and the lower part of my legs not in contact with the hammock...fine underneath though. SOOO, I just need to beef up the footbox of my TQ. Climashield is awesome, but 2.5 isn't adequate for winter--LOL! I have some 7.5 in the closet. That should be plenty warm enough to make an insert for the footbox portion of my summer top quilt.

I was also quite pleased with the DIY pup tent. It provided an excellent wind break and helped hold in some of Rem's body heat, but had ZERO condensation (which was one of my biggest worries)! The SUSPENSION, however, needs changing. By the middle of the night, the walls of his tent were pretty saggy. I had the only suspension point fastened to the strap of my hammock, so when I loaded my hammock, his walls sagged a bit in spite of the elastic cord it was suspended from. Then as the night wore on and my webbing stretched (as it always does) the sag grew way more pronounced...problematically so. That's a simple enough fix, though. From now on I'll just run a separate ridgeline, higher than my hammock's, to suspend the dog tent(s) from. Then the loading of my hammock and the inevitable stretch of my hammock straps through the night won't affect the integrity of Rem's nor Ransom's shelters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast