WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Howdy B_ruce, welcome to hammocking. Good call on the DL 1.7 XLC, I have the Multicam XLC 1.1/1.9 and it's a great hammock. If you plan to primarily hang in Florida then I wouldn't worry too much about the top cover. A lot of folks say they are most beneficial in sub-freezing temps any way so unless you plan to winter camp up North I wouldn't bother. It's one of those "nice to have" items but not a necessity in Florida.

Regarding mosquitoes, I am in South Florida and camp in WMAs, WEAs and Rec Areas year round. Mosquitoes in the summer can be brutal. Buy some Sawyers Permethrin from Walmart or any of the big sporting good stores, treat the bottom layer and lower portion of the bugnet of you hammock and let it dry in the sun. If you have a cat keep it away as Permethrin is poisonous to cats as well as aquatic life. I can usually get by with two treatments per year with no Mosquito bites. Helps with fleas and ticks as well.

If you don't have tent stakes take a look at the Y-stakes that Warbonnet sells. You'll need two for your XLC hammock tie-outs and depending on which tarp you eventually buy you'll need another 4-10 stakes. My Warbonnet Superfly (which is an awesome tarp) uses 8 stakes. I would go with the 9" stakes over the 7". They hold better in soft sand.

I'm a fan of ridgeline organizers for my glasses, phone, and smaller pocket items. I bought mine from Dream Hammock for $20. The bigger items go on the XLC shelf. I keep a keychain LED light on my ridgeline and a carabiner on a prusik knot for my water bottle.

Check out the Southeast trip section here:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/foru.../113-Southeast

There are a few Florida group hangs coming up and they are definitely worth attending. Great place to learn best practices, check out other hammock setups, and meet some great people.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b_ruce View Post
    I went ahead ordered the 1.7DL mainly reading the website description that it is more durable (and extra grams not a worry )
    I didn't order the cover, which of course I am already having second thoughts (I really wish it was available after the fact
    )
    There's always the option to get the Travel Sock XL. I actually think, a sock works better than a top cover in pretty much any situation - with the exception of saving weight:

• The sock provides 360° wind protection. You would have to add a UQP when using a top cover.
    • The sock is less stuffy.
    • You don't have to choose between mosquito protection and warmth; you can close the mosquito net and have the sock open a bit to create more air flow without the mosquitos being able to get to you.
    • You can even use the sock as a storage space for small, light stuff. I have often thrown some clothing in there. And it catches everything that falls out of your hammock.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I am now glad I decided to order the Travel sock, if I hadn't I definitely would after reading your post

Thank you for this suggestion! I Think your right and being it is on sale I want to add this to my order.(If I order it separately it is $8 shipping, whereas I see if I could add it to the existing order shipping $ doesn't change)

I emailed them but I don't see a phone #, anyone have a phone# for these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    There's always the option to get the Travel Sock XL. I actually think, a sock works better than a top cover in pretty much any situation - with the exception of saving weight:

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this down, really appreciate it.
    I think I will try to add the Sock XL as suggested by hutzelbein below as I will be using it indoors and the Sock is on sale and I am a sucker for sales.. what to do?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post
    Howdy B_ruce, welcome to hammocking. Good call on the DL 1.7 XLC, I have the Multicam XLC 1.1/1.9 and it's a great hammock. If you plan to primarily hang in Florida then I wouldn't worry too much about the top cover. A lot of folks say they are most beneficial in sub-freezing temps any way so unless you plan to winter camp up North I wouldn't bother. It's one of those "nice to have" items but not a necessity in Florida.
    Last edited by b_ruce; 11-28-2016 at 10:45. Reason: fixed reference to different person

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I recently got the 1.7 SL and after it was already shipped I realized I didn't get the winter cover. I live on a hill on the water, and if its cold its windy here.... all winter. So the cover would have been a HUGE help since I already have a 2QZQ UQP. Arrowhead makes their " bear burrito " for the standard length BB, but not the XLC yet. I asked Donna when I ordered the UQP if she would ever offer a top cover, she said proly not but has heard of people using the UQP as one. So I think I'll just get an XL sock, unless a vendor comes out with a winter cover that fits the xlc soon. I'd love to how your conversation goes with WB if your call to ask about it.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Thank you for this reply, I found the phone number and calling, not sure they are open yet..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I recently got the 1.7 SL and after it was already shipped I realized I didn't get the winter cover. I live on a hill on the water, and if its cold its windy here.... all winter. So the cover would have been a HUGE help since I already have a 2QZQ UQP. Arrowhead makes their " bear burrito " for the standard length BB, but not the XLC yet. I asked Donna when I ordered the UQP if she would ever offer a top cover, she said proly not but has heard of people using the UQP as one. So I think I'll just get an XL sock, unless a vendor comes out with a winter cover that fits the xlc soon. I'd love to how your conversation goes with WB if your call to ask about it.
    Last edited by b_ruce; 11-28-2016 at 10:50. Reason: didnt have phone # now do, modified to reflect this

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Can you even pitch a BB on the ground? I'd like to know more about that possibility.

Just to update this: I contacted Warbonnet (Ryan) and he said: he recommends the DL 1.7 for daily use (durability factor) and that the cover doesn't usually have condensation issues unless used below freezing. Even still he agreed that the Sock XL has 360 degree coverage and it is on sale.. so I just went with that (as I also may want to use the net which I can't do at same time as the cover). Really there wasn't any "bad' option which makes things that much harder to decide.

Hopefully what I typed above wasn't too confusing.

Thanks again for all the info and help.

Bruce

Thank you for bringing that up, it was one of my original questions but I found the info (I think) here: (there are multiple links within the topic)
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...sn-t-an-option

but I am assuming those links have all the info needed...
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Can you even pitch a BB on the ground? I'd like to know more about that possibility.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast