Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cj6760 View Post
    I'm thinking I would like to join the hang at Green Timbers seeing its only 8 miles from home. Circle M ranch in Wolverine makes some GREAT BACON.
    Bacon? We always need more. Welcome to the hang. Glad to have you come along. A couple posts back the there's a link to a Google doc that Dirk made up. Anybody that's coming, please add yourself to the list. Lots of great info about the hang in this thread and in the links to the past hangs. Looks like this is shaping up to be another epic adventure.

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Here is the link again:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I am still thinking about heading to Graves Crossing (see the other thread) next weekend to test out my gear. I may just do an overnight on the 21st unless a couple of guys want to make a weekend of it and come out on Friday. I made a lot of new gear for the GT hang and still have to dial in a few things. Already dehydrating some meals for backup for GT.

Dirk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm still juggling things at work to try and get a 3 day weekend for this, but as of yesterday things are looking better and I just might be able to pull it off. Michigandave is frolicking through the forest this weekend, so I'll pick some brains here instead of e-mailing Dave with my normal 40 questions a day.

If I can make this work, it'll be my first winter hang ever. I don't have much gear for it, but Dave said I could borrow some of his and we'll work it out. But I need to know how necessary are snowshoes and a pulk going to be? Yeah, I know the pulk depends on how much gear I'm bringing, but if I can fit it all in my backpack is there any other reason I would need the pulk? My kids are grown and moved out now, and I'm pretty sure there is a cheap plastic sled still sitting out in the barn so I could make something I'm sure.
    Last edited by Big Flounder; 01-15-2017 at 00:06.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Pulk

I do a combo. I have a small pulk with a large plastic storage box that I pull on it (doubles as a table) and I pack my lighter gear (TQ, UQ etc in my backpack which gives me an attachment point for my pulk. I have "borrowed" my kid's sled in the past and that has worked fine. I would recommend poles for the sled so it doesn't keep hitting you in the ankles but you could suffer through without them.

As far as warm sleeping gear, check out Shug's pod system. Last year (my solo hike...) I zipped together two bags around my hammock and lighter UQ and was quite warm. I also put my feet into a down vest and jacket (with sleeves tucked in) and they were toasty. Whatever your system, it would be good to get a test run in beforehand. I did one last year in the backyard and it helped me tweak things quite a bit which made a big difference on my GT solo.

Look forward to seeing you!

Dirk

P.S. I did not use snow shoes last year. I post-holed it the whole way. Snow shoes are great if you can get them (hoping to borrow a pair from a neighbor)
    Last edited by kg8jk; 01-13-2017 at 13:42.

I just wanted to update everyone on parking options if people wanted to meet at I75 and Vanderbilt. I've gotten an OK from Monica to use the Marathon Gas Station parking in the back at the exit. Just make sure to patronize their establishment and let them know your plans. Also, I spoke with Anna Marie at the Vanderbilt Village Hall. She said we could park on the west side of parking lot next to the softball field. If they are open when you arrive, stop in to let them know. I've attached a map for reference. We also have the Hare Road/Pickeral Lake hike in option from the east side of GT.

This is shaping up to be a great weekend in the woods. Please make sure to update the spreadsheet if your attending. That is all....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Spreadsheets Dave? Come on now, the deal's off

I'm kidding. Planning on Driving up with Lost Woodsman. He's about 40min south of me, so not sure when we'll hit the road.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Alright, think this is looking like it is going to work out for me, so I officially added my name to the spreadsheet thingamajig. Should be carpooling up with Markr6 and arriving Thursday morning. Still waiting for the official word at work, but I think I'll be cleared that weekend.

I'm going to try and have a pulk built by then. Been researching it and a basic one seems fairly easy/cheap to build.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    He's not wearing camo, is there something wrong?!
    Sorry to disappoint. Was an off night camo was in the hammock.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    4 weeks away!! Plenty of time to build up the snow pack after this long mild stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    4 weeks away!! Plenty of time to build up the snow pack after this long mild stretch.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed. After packing for our last outing to Reid, there is no way I can carry in all that gear on my back and I really don't want to make two trips back to the car. But, there's always the possible wagon option like we did at Gluttony 2015. I'm going to break out from making my traditional jambalaya this year and switch to sausage & peppers w/pasta and craft beer. Just have to figure out a good way to keep the beer from freezing. May have to take advantage of Aaron's hot tent.

Hope somebody will do a apple or cherry cobbler this year. hint, hint.....I can't believe it's just 4 weeks away. Pray for snow!

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast