Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB BB

4 season tarp thoughts

This is a bit long winded so bear with me.
    Ok so I started hammocking last spring and have come to realize how much more I enjoy it then sleeping on the ground. Congrats to me for figuring out what so many others know. I decided that I would like to make a 4 season tarp with doors and am looking for criticism and thoughts from those more experienced.
    I hammock in a WB BB and it dawned on me that I get in and out from the same side every time due to the design and most of the space behind my hammock is wasted cover. Also I couldn't believe that the widest tarps I could find were only about 10'. I started playing with a few sizes and found that if I used a 12' width and offset the ridge line by about 6" then it would decrease the wasted space in the back and allow a roomy pitch. And with the RL about 5' off the deck I can cover all the way down in bad storms. I'm short (5'7") so that's just below my height and still comfortable enough. So that's the thought process.
    For the design, I like the great construction on my WB edge tarp so I thought that would be a good place to start. I'm planning on an 11' RL and the only way to accomplish a 12' width is to sow 3 wide instead of the standard 2 lengths of fabric. On the bottom ends of the tarp I figured I would go 9' between the tie outs to save some fabric. I plan on using silpoly due to the higher HH rating for the same weight as silnylon. So a general design looks like this:

IMG_0445.jpg

So my questions!
    1. With 3 panels I don't have a need to sow a RL. However, I'm concerned about the tinsel strength of the fabric and like how WB reinforces their RL with ribbon (grosgrain?). Thoughts?
    2. I was thinking of doing a tie out in the true center and another at the offset so I could have some flexibility. This could also mess up the doors so I'm not sure if that would work at all.
    3. And maybe add some tie outs along the ground edge so there are multiple tie outs like the JRB ultimate tarp. I was originally thinking of cat cutting the ground edge and now I'm not sure.
    Any thoughts would help and thanks in advance!

Hammock
    11' DIY Double Layer 1.6 oz yd²
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    20° 3/4 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Whoopie/marlinspik
    I dont think cat cuts are as important on SilPoly (compared to SilNylon).
    I've made a few tarps and I have strung them tight. I've never had problems with a French fell seam being sufficient for a ridgeline.
    I've wanted to do something like this too. I can't wait to see results!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Have you checked out the xenon wide at makeyourgear.com ? Comes in at 75in wide. You could make a monster wide tarp with plenty left over. I've read good stuff about the xenon material. I think it is low stretch so would not need cat cuts to stay taught. Might work well with your plans.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by kev138 View Post
    Have you checked out the xenon wide at makeyourgear.com ? Comes in at 75in wide. You could make a monster wide tarp with plenty left over. I've read good stuff about the xenon material. I think it is low stretch so would not need cat cuts to stay taught. Might work well with your plans.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...de-Winter-Tarp

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Just got my Silpoly 5300. Going to be starting mine soon. Probably using RSBTR's plans for the winter 12. I'm doing a grosgrain ridgeline similar to WB, no cat cuts just the door instep. Probably not doing side panel pull outs seeing I never use them.

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    That's the stuff there. I knew I had seen it somewhere.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    WB BB
    Thanks Kev and Cowboy! I had searched around the forum trying to find a plan for a large trap. I wish I would have seen that xenon before. I just ordered the silpoly from RSBTR. It looks like it's the same fabric just a different name and much wider. The three panels don't really bother me I'm just not sure it it's necessary, or even preferred, to reenforce the RL with grosgrain. I will be doing panel pulls since they don't add much weight. Any thoughts on the offset RL?

You could always cut one of the panels in half and sew them to the bottom of the other two. That would give you the same length plus your grosgrain seam that you want. Adds an extra seam but I think they would be stronger this way. I had an ogee tarp rip out on me in high wind cause there isn't a middle seam on that tarp design. It was made out of 1.1 silpoly 4000. If I had used silnylon I think it would have been fine. Makes me wary of not using a seam for the rideline. I had the same idea that you did, then came up with cutting it in half. I would make your cat cuts in the side that is cut and use the factory side to attach to the other panels. Keeps everything straight and neat

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies

Finished mine. I used RSBTR's and MYG's plans along with WB methods.
    Didn't make side panel pull cause I hardly use em. I set it up for several hours today in 20 to 30 mph winds. Didn't have a problem. Couldn't have asked for a better day test ...well other then some rain...lol

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    You don't need the grosgrain or flat felled reinforced seam. The fabric is strong enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast