Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* inc/ 20*Burw
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Darien:shape-does it matter which end I put my head?

I have a Darien Dream Hammock and was wondering if it matters which side I put my head on, other than the bug net zipper would be either on my left or right.

I know in the specs area of the website they mention "shape". I chose the standard "Right Lay Asym (head left, feet right)". I don't understand what that means, perhaps someone could explain that me. Does that affect the 'feel' of the lay in the hammock, and if so then how so?
    Last edited by perdurabo; 11-14-2016 at 23:44.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by perdurabo View Post
    I have a Darien Dream Hammock and was wondering if it matters which side I put my head on, other than the bug net zipper would be either on my left or right.

I know in the specs area of the website they mention "shape". I chose the standard "Right Lay Asym (head left, feet right)". I don't understand what that means, perhaps someone could explain that me. Does that affect the 'feel' of the lay in the hammock, and if so then how so?
    It depends on what lay your hammock is. If your hammock is "right lay", your feet will always have to be to the right. You can lay on either end of the hammock, but feet to the right. I have a Sparrow that is right lay, which is my preference.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

In order to lay relatively flat in a gathered end hammock, you need to lay at a slight angle off-center to the ridgeline. In your case your head will be to the left of the ridgeline and your feet to the right. It does not matter which end you put your head other than, as you already said, placement of the zipper.

The designation 'right lay' means the bug net has been cut for this lay.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    You can lay with your head on either end depending on which side you prefer the zipper.
    Here are 2 photos showing "right lay" (head left, feet right) Darien hammocks. Notice both users are laying in the same diagonal position, but their heads are on opposite ends.

Darien7.jpg Darien_blue1.jpg

perdurbo, I think I have an email from you about this, but I haven't caught up with my emails yet as we just got home from Texas about 2:30am this morning. Back in the workshop by 9am this morning and I'll get back on answering emails as soon as we get today's hammocks out the door.

Hope this helps.
    Randy

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* inc/ 20*Burw
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Hi All, thanks for the clarification. I understand now, much appreciated.

Randy, I didn't email you, I figured I'd ask here in case it might help others to read.

Thanks again,
    Keith

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Randy, I didn't email you, I figured I'd ask here in case it might help others to read.
    ahh.. OK. Somebody else asked me the same question a day or two ago so I'll get him answered in case he hasn't seen this thread.

What's the difference between the right lay vs the left lay? I understand the way your supposd to lay, but how is it constructed different? I have made about a dozen gathered end hammocks, and I tend to move around a lot, but I'm interested in a Darien and this is something that concerns me.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    What's the difference between the right lay vs the left lay? I understand the way your supposd to lay, but how is it constructed different? I have made about a dozen gathered end hammocks, and I tend to move around a lot, but I'm interested in a Darien and this is something that concerns me.
    I guess the easiest way to explain it is the material is mirrored to the good side. Think of it as if it were a pair of underware: one side is confy the other not so much but would work in a pinch. The reason you can't flip the hammock inside out is the netting would be in the way, or on the wrong side. So I guess a better comparison is a pair of shorts with a liner insideout?
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts