Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Eagle Rock Loop - Quachita Mts. Arkansas

Me and eight friends went out for a three day trip to tackle one of Arkansas toughest and most scenic trails, 26.5 mile Eagle Rock Loop. We started at Athens/Big Fork trail head, which adds another 2.5 miles and tackled the big ridges of the west end of the loop for day one. This was our most strenuous day and included 7 ridges for an elevation total of over 3000 feet. Ouch. The highlights were the ridge top views with Brush Heap Mt. being the most spectacular. We camped on Viles Branch and enjoyed a less strenuous day two. Viles Branch was crystal clear with many small waterfalls. At about midday we made it to the Little Missouri river and enjoyed lunch with a view of the Winding Stairs area. This area is beautiful and a highlight of the trail for sure. We camped along the banks of the Little Missouri just past Albert Pike rec area(closed to camping since a tragic flash flood in 2010) and had a nice nine mile walk out on day three. Little Missouri Falls was a great lunch spot and very beautiful.

November is a great time to hike this loop. There is plenty of water but less chance of dangerous water than the Spring or Winter. We crossed water dozens of times but only a couple required water shoes.

My hammock setup has really come together and made my time at camp so much better. I love all my gear but my ULA Ohm is still my favorite new acquisition. It's been on three trips now with this one being the longest. Almost 30 miles over three days and close to 5000 feet climbed and it felt great. I really do almost forget about it.

My legs are bit sore as I type this but I'm already planning my next trip. Can't wait.

Up on Brush Heap mountain.
    me_james_brush_heap.jpg

Empty Ohm
    empty_ohm.jpg

Hammock setup in camp.
    hammock_tarp.jpg

Beautiful Winding Stairs on Little Missouri River
    winding_stairs.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mobius_trip; 11-14-2016 at 23:26.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Great stuff! I've been planning another ERL (will be my fourth). And maybe a Caney Creek Trail Yo-Yo again (would be my second...I did part of the Caney last June, but exited....I was tired of water crossings).
    I might go up after Thanksgiving.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a nice trip. I'm jelly of your new Ohm! Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Question. I might not have my truck to bring up on my hike. I might have my Mustang! How is the road to that trail head you used? How was parking? I'm also considering parking at the Viles Branch trail head and heading north on the ABF part (going Clock Wise for a change).
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Question. I might not have my truck to bring up on my hike. I might have my Mustang! How is the road to that trail head you used? How was parking? I'm also considering parking at the Viles Branch trail head and heading north on the ABF part (going Clock Wise for a change).
    Hello, I do most of my hiking in the Ozark Mountains to the north and this was my first time at ERL so I'm not familiar with the roads. The trail-head we used was Athens/Big Fork at N34.449757 W093.967144. The road to this trail-head was well maintained and any vehicle could do it, just may have to drive a little slow.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    thanks. So I believe you used the very top TH of the ABF, not where the ABF, FS road and the Little Mo are all together.
    Twice, I used the parking lot that you must have walked thru. The one right at the ABF, Little Mo river and the FS road. I'd park and immediately cross the Little Mo and then it is up the first mountain (going due south on the ABF). Just getting to that trail head is around 30 minutes on rough FS roads! I am mapping and just read some good road instructions on Backpacking Arkansas web site, to the SW lot, the ABF just south of the Viles Branch intersection. Looks like only a mile or two of FS type roads! And I'm in Texas, so that parking lot (the southern one) is probably closer. Plus, I might head over to Caney Creek Trail, which is then just due north along the 64/Sandy Lake Park area.
    Call me Junior

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Great report! I have a friend of mine leaving Thanksgiving Day to do the loop. Any suggestions or anything you would have different. I am going to turn him towards this thread.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    So I believe you used the very top TH of the ABF, not where the ABF, FS road and the Little Mo are all together.
    Twice, I used the parking lot that you must have walked thru. The one right at the ABF, Little Mo river and the FS road.
    Yes. that is what we did. It added 1.4 miles each way and an extra 400 foot climb. We didn't realize that before starting and were just going with the advice of a guy who had been before. Here is a track created by my Delorme Inreach. The red arrow I added points to a parking lot we walked through that we could have used to make the hike a little easier. It's all good though. A little extra walking never hurt anyone.

Eagle_Rock_Loop.jpg
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB/HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    Great report! I have a friend of mine leaving Thanksgiving Day to do the loop. Any suggestions or anything you would have different. I am going to turn him towards this thread.

I was happy with the way we did it. Just make sure you're in pretty good shape as it is a demanding trail. We choose to get the major climbing out of the way on day one but there was still plenty of climbing the other two days. I showed over 5000 feet of elevation by the end. The terrain is also very rocky so have good insoles and ankle support. The trail was well blazed and if you go more than a couple hundred yards without seeing a blaze you're probably off the trail and need to backtrack. Mainly though it's a fantastic trail. Extremely beautiful with good camping never more than a mile away. I highly recommend it. I will be back to do it again.
    "Hodor!"
    -Hodor

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    there is also the Arkansas Backpacking app, the ERL map is like $4.99. Looks handy, can see all the water and camping spots. Few of the camping areas are on the paper maps.
    Thanks for confirming the route/parking area. I am looking off to the SW corner. I think your track showed the trail but you were not on it. Down between Little Mountain and Round Top.

I called up the App on my phone and it shows the parking area and trail you used and also the one I'm considering. There is another area off to the SE corner. Instead of crossing the Little Mo to hit the Viles, you continue south and hit a parking area.
    Call me Junior

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast