Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Zaleski Backpacking trip

My son and I are heading out Friday the 18th for a 3 day 2 night trip to Zaleski State park in Ohio. We have the ODNR map and have done a few trips there with our boy scout troop in the past, but never covered the whole trail in one trip. But this time we are going to cover the whole trail, all 28 plus miles of it. The trails are well marked and the 3 camping areas are very nice.
    I have been looking for a map or some way of getting the GPS coords for the camp site areas but have had zero luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to get that info to put into our new GPS.

And for safety we are leaving a detailed trip plan at home with the wife, our route around the trail, what sites we will be at each night and expected time back on third day.
    thanks in advance.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    Try looking here: caltopo zaleski south/middle loop. The geocoordinates of the cursor appear in the upper-right hand of the screen. There are a number of folk who are regulars in the OH outings thread that might have some additional info. Many of them are out at Mohican at the moment.....

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Here you go.

ZALESKI Camp 01
    First camp site on the Zaleski backpack trail; fire rings and privy

ZALESKI Camp 02
    Second designated camp site on the Zaleski backpack trail

ZALESKI Camp 03
    Third designated camp site on the Zaleski backpack trail

If you want the coordinates for the other points of interest, I got those numbers from this site. http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/viewtrip/1659206 . Also, I don't know when you were there last, but they have moved the trailhead parking lot and added 1.9 miles to the overall trail. It is now at the Hope School House on Wheelabout Road. Have fun.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you haven't already you should check out Spiguyver Backpacking 3 part Zaleski backpacking trip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5s5rRCpWhs

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks for the great info.
    am watching the youtube now. very cool.
    we have done different sections of zaleski of the last 3 yrs but never been able to do it all. not because of our limits but limits of others in our group of scouts.
    We are getting very excited to hit the trail. weather is looking pretty good for us. nice mid Nov temps and only a small chance of rain on Saturday.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I would suggest skipping camp one and getting to camp two on Friday. This is basically 1/2 of the South Loop. Not difficult to do and allows you time to get camp set up that first afternoon of your trip. I would try to get an early start to get from Camp 2 to Camp Three by 1:00 on Saturday. You can stash packs, set up camp and relax, or continue to carry packs and do the North Loop as well. However, be ready to finish after dark and set up camp at dusk - with the time change. Sunday you have the option of cutting back down the center of the middle trail or finishing the outer middle loop. Don't underestimate the 1.9 added miles to get to the new trail head; especially if you do the full outer middle loop. However, I like the Hope School House Trail Head better than the old day hike trail head. Less chance of flooding and better trail (less erosion) away from the main road, especially with the leaves gone. Enjoy, Zaleski is a great area to hike because you can break it up and go for long miles are opt out and shorten your hike. I really shorten my hikes after Daylight Savings time. I enjoy more sleep this way!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    trip just got canceled for this weekend.
    Son came down with very bad sinus infection, had at docs today and on antibiotics but not taking him out for a 3 day trip not at 100%.
    looking at calendar now to see when we will be able to go again. he worked very hard on the planning this trip as part of his backpacking merit badge.
    plan is still good just need new dates. look like spring time next.
    maybe can plan ahead and meet up with some folks from here on the trip.

GBOLT- thanks for info, that was how he had it planned out for us.
    we have done all of trail but not in one trip. been down there 3 other times but others with us could not make the whole thing.

• + New Posts